• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal v Leicester City | 11/08/17 19:45 BST | Sky Sports

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,954
  • Views 185,661

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
On reflection, our defence stills has problems that need fixing, but at the same time that back 5 in no way reflects how we're going to play this season. I predict our season to be characterised by Kolasinac and Ox bombing down the wings. Van Dijk and/or N'Zonzi and we're gonna trounce some teams.

For whatever reason, we completely disregard aerial proficiency when composing a squad or starting XI. 90% of premier league teams will play direct, counter attacking football looking for knock-downs, flick one and advantages from dead ball situations. 50/50s are decisive in creating clear cut openings.

We haven't ever looked to proactively address this imbalance, but instead to just fortify our own attacking game when already in possession in the hope it will eventually be enough. We'll scrape wins and go on runs here and there but the reason our underlyung confidence is so fragile is because psychologically we fear conceding goals.

Wenger's belief in attacking and defence being a trade off as opposed to defence forming the bedrock of a consistent, effective attack is the what lies behind our reputation for mid season collapses and disastrous away form against top sides. It's imperative we seek to improve this area rather than simply wait for players to return who themselves are prone to bouts of rash defending and lack appropriate leadership skills.

Let's hope in the remain 3 weeks of the window and on the training pitch we get this sorted.

ASM

Posting while watching live is fun to read, but the hyperboling is pretty obvious. I think we were actually very good and showed a lot of encouraging signs on top of the win. Defense wise it was definitely not the most sound performance, yet the mistakes I saw are not systematic and could easily get ironed out, particularly taking into consideration that starting from the next game a considerable change in personnel will take place at the back with Per at least taking the central spot with (probably) Mustafi and Nacho in front of him with Seo on the left flank and Ox on the other.

Since we the formation change we looked very solid defending the set pieces and vastly less prone to build up brain farts like the one which led to Leicester's second goal, and I'm sure that's something we can keep. It was very positive to watch the team scoring 4 times (all in vital moments in the game) without Sanchez and 100% fit Özil & Ramsey against a tough PL opponent in a nervy game.

I also believe the fact that we won and the confidence boost we'll take from that would help us improve considerably on what we saw yesterday. With Kos, Mustafi, Alexix, Per, and probably a good new signing slotting into the team soon, one can only feel positive after this win.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As soon as I saw that we were kicking off the season a full day before others I knew exactly what sky were going for.

So glad we managed to pull this out of the bag, an opening loss with the world watching would have been problematic to say the least.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Hey guys, Leicester fan here, just had to sign up after such an amazing game.

Despite our poor results against you guys over the years, I've always had great respect for Arsenal ever since Bergkamp scored that hat trick against us. Every single game is enjoyable, thrilling & entertaining. Both teams seem to always go for it, which is great.

Anyway, I think tonight both teams can take a lot of positives from the game. For us, we executed a great game plan but sadly a couple lapses in concentration & poorly timed subs cost us! However I see no reason why we can't finish 7th or 8th this year.

As for you guys, your make shift back 3 was exactly that, make shift. Once your regulars are back, you should look much better in that department. I think your strong attack was the difference tonight. If you keep hold of Alexis then I don't think many teams will be able to contain you.

Good luck for the season & I look forward to another thrilling game at the King Power !!

P.S how good is Albrighton?!! Terrific all round player, should be playing for England :)

Welcome to the forum, mate.

Shakespeare and his staff definitely did a great job in their preparation for the game. He clearly had analysed our set piece tendencies as we often leave ourselves vulnerable at the back post and you guys took full advantage of that. We also struggle with runs from deeper positions and Vardy did this on your third. I can't help but feel both of these corners were intentional and targeted at us specifically.

Moreover, your lads did a fantastic job at nullifying Xhaka when we were probing in and around your box by always ensuring that there were a circle of players around him in close proximity. We struggled to move the ball into the centre and were forced down the lines which often resulted in easy clearances for your defence from aimless Arsenal crosses.

I feel you lacked work rate in the centre area when Matty James went off and this opened up Xhaka to ping balls from deep, which actually resulted in our 3rd goal off the corner.

Your team played well and you've a lot to be proud of. Hope you take points off the other big clubs because you're well capable of it on your day. All the best.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

For whatever reason, we completely disregard aerial proficiency when composing a squad or starting XI. 90% of premier league teams will play direct, counter attacking football looking for knock-downs, flick one and advantages from dead ball situations. 50/50s are decisive in creating clear cut openings.

We haven't ever looked to proactively address this imbalance, but instead to just fortify our own attacking game when already in possession in the hope it will eventually be enough. We'll scrape wins and go on runs here and there but the reason our underlyung confidence is so fragile is because psychologically we fear conceding goals.

Wenger's belief in attacking and defence being a trade off as opposed to defence forming the bedrock of a consistent, effective attack is the what lies behind our reputation for mid season collapses and disastrous away form against top sides. It's imperative we seek to improve this area rather than simply wait for players to return who themselves are prone to bouts of rash defending and lack appropriate leadership skills.

Let's hope in the remain 3 weeks of the window and on the training pitch we get this sorted.
That's a quality post.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Nah. They were extremely lucky. You haven't looked at the stats. 5-1 would have been a more realistic score.
Not sure if you're serious or not but stats really? As an Arsenal fan, I thought you'd know better by now.Yeah we could've scored more goals, I said that here myself, but we were being cut open at will inside the first 30 minutes, at home. After all these years we were still caught out by a near post run from a corner. Same fvcking problems over and over.

coolaa

Cech/ 6: experienced, a few nice saves. But reflexes might come with aging. Not sure if he is better than Szczesny given his development at Roma. Should have come out more when midget Monreal is the middle CB.

Holding/ 6: one or two bad passes that could cost us goals maybe, but he cleared more aerial threats than create danger for us. Either him or Per should be the middle CB, not even kos or mustafi should be the middle CB, they are way too small for this position. We do not have a John Terry who can organize the defense line. So we need individual quality for our back 3, and Holding's pace and height is the most balanced in amongst all our CBs to play in the middle of the back 3.

Monreal/ 5: would have done much better if he was played LCB or LWB today. Vardy's header showed Monreal's weakness.

Kolasinace/8: pressed hard, won many balls. Might even be a better LCB than Monreal. Remind me of Chelsea's Ivanovic, perhaps not as strong in the air, but probably quicker than him.

Xhaka/ 4: sloppy, just walk around all day long except made a key pass to Ramsey's goal.

Elneny/ 5: did nothing wrong, but offer nothing, it is okay when Xhaka is on his day, but when Xhaka is basically disappeared, that makes Elneny disappear even if he runs tirelessly and meaninglessly. I would say a 35yr old flamini still offers more than Elneny. I would even play Chamber(at least he dribbles better than can defend) there and get rid of Elneny. Very limited player.

Ox/ 5(LWB), 7(RWB): offered nothing as LWB, so lively when switched to RWB.

Bellerim/ 5(RWB), 6(LB): surprisingly a WB and a RB would make such a difference on him just over last 6mths. It seems all of a sudden being a RWB, his pace seems all gone. Did he really lost some pace after some injuries? At least when he was played LB after Giroud and Ramsey came on and changed to a 442 his pace suddenly helped the game.

Özil/ 5: if not fit, drop him, he was never good in big games, and a unfit Özil is aweful to watch. Should have given Iwobi a chance given his performance in preseason and community shield.

Welbeck/ 7: hard working as ever, created a goal. You perform magic from him but always helping the team.

Lacazette/ 8: good first touch, good run, shoot on target at least unlike Ox and Xhaka shoot to the crowd behind the goal. And he actually press hard and win the ball back, very impressive.

Giroud/ 7: you need him if you are playing someone like Morgan. When our little passes in the box is not working. Cross to Giroud is the solution.

Ramsey/ 7: great energy and lift the tempo up once came on, score an important goal. This is his day and worth a 7.

Walcott/ 5: not chance of getting the ball from teammates, but when given a chance to receive a pass and shoot, was in an offside position. Learn to be forward by at least not in a offside position mate.

Wenger/ 6: team selection was all wrong before Giroud and Ramsey came on. But it is more about individual brilliance rather than Wenger's tactics, but at least his bet worked. So luckily can get a 6.

tcahill

Where was Chambers today? Playing him at CCB would probably have stopped two of the Leicester goals with his aerial ability. Also would have allowed us to play Monreal at LCB where he thrives, and Seo at LWB which is his best position.

coolaa

Where was Chambers today? Playing him at CCB would probably have stopped two of the Leicester goals with his aerial ability. Also would have allowed us to play Monreal at LCB where he thrives, and Seo at LWB which is his best position.

His aerial ability? Definitely not as strong as holding

tcahill

His aerial ability? Definitely not as strong as holding

Aerial ability isn't the same as height mate (although being tall obviously helps). Chambers is good in the air, despite being a shorter CB, he always seems to time his jump well and uses his body properly.
Holding to be honest is pretty weak in the air, especially for a 6'2 bloke.

Either way I doubt we'd have conceded two from high crosses.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Hey guys, Leicester fan here, just had to sign up after such an amazing game.

Despite our poor results against you guys over the years, I've always had great respect for Arsenal ever since Bergkamp scored that hat trick against us. Every single game is enjoyable, thrilling & entertaining. Both teams seem to always go for it, which is great.

Anyway, I think tonight both teams can take a lot of positives from the game. For us, we executed a great game plan but sadly a couple lapses in concentration & poorly timed subs cost us! However I see no reason why we can't finish 7th or 8th this year.

As for you guys, your make shift back 3 was exactly that, make shift. Once your regulars are back, you should look much better in that department. I think your strong attack was the difference tonight. If you keep hold of Alexis then I don't think many teams will be able to contain you.

Good luck for the season & I look forward to another thrilling game at the King Power !!

P.S how good is Albrighton?!! Terrific all round player, should be playing for England :)

Top post man, nice to finally see a fan of another team coming here to post something of significance rather than trolling.

Our defense was poor due to the lack of some first teamers BUT Leicester has been magnificent today and I guess you would've scored today no matter what !

This was one of the best performances I've ever seen of your team and that's sayin something.
Your attacks have been devastating at times and it all looked pretty much like the Leicester of the title winning season.

If you keep that determination for other matches you're going to humilate some big teams this year - no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom