• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Aston Villa | 16/10/04

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 273
  • Views 9,521

Mark

Established Member
We were mega today. Villa did well, but we were just too good. Always felt we were going to win. Their GK had a blinder, but well done to Bobby getting a brace and responding to some recent criticism.

Sammer

Established Member
Here´s my two cents about the game:

Defence & goalkeeping:

Really nothing to worry about. The back four are back to their best again. Personally, I thought that Lauren had a great game today, but so did the other three. Lehmann, no complains - collected all the corners and crosses, but did not have much to do.

Midfield:

My man of the match goes out to Fabregas. He must have had an accuracy-rate of passes around 95% today. Further, I was impressed how much defensive work he actually does. Collected lots of balls in front of our penalty area.
Viera, Pires had a great game too, but Reyes (even though he made some great runs and a great pass to Henry) seemed to get caught in his dribblings sometime.

I was impressed with Flamini and would like to see more. Pennant seems to be highly motivated.

Attack:

Henry was brilliant, but so was Dennis. Incredibly vision, passing and control. Nothing more to ad.

What really bugged me though, was Villa´s ruthlessness in attack. They made some incredibly harsh tackles, which seems to be a tactic to play against us these days. Reyes was hit pretty bad, but the tackle on Viera was even worse.

Mark

Established Member
Dunno if this has already been posted, but the commentator on Five Live today pointed out that when we had made our subs we had a really young midfield out there:

Penant (21) Flamini (20) Fabregas (17) van Persie (21)

I just think that's great. We have such quality youngsters in our team. Flamini and Fabregas were really good today.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Can't wait until the Manchester United game now!!!
Fabregas HAS to play at Old Trafford. He doesn't seem to be fazed by anything!

yao

I think Van Persie has a few good touches after he went on. I hope I could see him more soon. Flamini impresses me too, I hardly feel the impact of Patty being sub off. :D

mephisto

from the Chelski forum - post-match reflections:

That broke my heart, to them of all people, they are close to the most diabolical team I can think of. how much did we spend on strikers again?
:)
We are kidding ourselves if we think Arsenal are worried about us - their defence may not be the best but it would cope easily with what we have to throw at it at the moment. That kind of display means we are playing for second spot this season not first - it has to improve considerably.

We need to spend 50 million on another striker in the transfer window.

Mark

Established Member
Those Chelski fans are ******. Our defence is excellent, but our awesome attacking play overshadows the brilliant displays in our defence. We have a great team all round, I don't understand how people can criticise our defence.

awesome day, too bad i cant see the game coz the tv station here had man-u and chelsk' game instead...
man u was a joke... Birmingham had two one-on-one that could have been goals with Carrol that according to that blind lineman were offside.. i cant believe they were that lucky.. hopefully we will have a better lineman when we play them

bobbypires

Established Member
We were great again. There were 25 minutes in the 1st half really amazing. Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira and Cesc. Jens and the defenders didn't have work. Villa couldn't do anything because their tactics and we didn't allow them to react. 6-0 or 7-0 wouldn't be a surprise. We could score that amount of goals. But Postma made the best match of his career.
I really wanna see more of Flamini (a whole match). He showed mental strength, character; he was aggressive.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Mark said:
Those Chelski fans are ******. Our defence is excellent, but our awesome attacking play overshadows the brilliant displays in our defence. We have a great team all round, I don't understand how people can criticise our defence.

chelsea have conceded 2 in 9 games. we'v conceded 8 in 9. tottenham, city (yes man city), united and everton have conceded less than us so far. you can understand the criticism especially from chelsea fans. but i really think it only looks that bad because of the freak boro result. with campbell and time, the defence should improve. we do need to be concious of keeping clean sheets. the thing with brilliant attacking displays is that you cant have it every game. some times clean sheets can be the difference. we dont want to be like madrid. 29 goals scored is incredible though. we should be on target for the record amount of goals scored, although i remember united winning some games by 7 goals in the season they got the record.

AFCG7

Established Member
Would Postma be anyone's man of the match even though they lost? :)
Reminds me of that Valencia goalies performance at HIghbury when Canizares was out..why do sub goalkeepers do so well against us?
The Vieira injury looks bad.. i doubt he will be fit for the Man U game and we weill seriously miss him against Panathanaikos.
This was my worst fear.. both of our defensive midfielders/ball winners are missing.. I think we'll have to go with Flamini and Edu midweek.

Mark

Established Member
Sub keepers coming in, and infact in any position, do really well usually because it is their chance to make a claim for a starting place. I am not always too pleased if a side has important players missing because I know the guys they get in usually do very well.

bobbypires

Established Member
Great to see this.

astonvillah35.jpg

astonvillah17.jpg

astonvillah01.jpg

untitled730.jpg

A

Anonymous

Today was one of the best Arsenal performances I have ever seen.

We were simply brillaint today. Not much else to say.

Villa scoring that early goal gave us a kick up the arse, which I think did us a lot of good.

The midfield and attack today were just on fire, unplayable. It could have been 5 or 6 if it wasnt for their keeper. If im going to be ultra critical then I would say our finishing wasnt the best today, but who really cares?

Watched the mancs play very poorly before the game and drop two points, watched us play some amazing, brilliant stuff and go 49 games unbeaten, then watched City beat an oridnary looking Chelsea side moving us 5 points clear at the top.

What a great day and what a great time to be a gooner!

A

Anonymous

worried about vieira
i dont think cesc should play on wednesday u have to rmb hes only 17 he cant play 3 mathces in a week
that said he shoul play against the mancs instead

Gazza Martinez

Established Member
I would go with Edu and Flamini in midweek. Mathieu has a fair bit of European experience, so it wouldn't be throwing him in at the deep end. Hopefully Paddy recovers for OT, then him and Cesc can start against the Mancs.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom