• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Hull City | 27/09/08

JazzG

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs Hull City - Premier League - 27/09/08 - 17.30

Oh dear, thank god I only caught the last 10 minutes of the game yesterday. Has to be one of the most embarrassing results we have had under Wenger. Ignoring our lack of commitment on the pitch technically we were appalling as well. After a few very tricky fixtures where we passed with flying colours to throw away cheap points like this just isn't on.

I don't know what happened in the other 80 minutes but yesterday we needed some leadership and an experienced head out there instead were just pointlessly hoofing the ball up with no purpose whatsoever. Wenger will live to regret his decision making this summer in the transfer market, a few good results don't mask over our deficiencies.

awooga83

Established Member

celestis said:
First loss we played like s***e , this game we were beaten by two great goals .

First lost played **** yesterday we never even played so its progress of sorts, progressively worse.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

It doesn't really matter since we lost both, but I reckon we were far worse in the Fulham game. Yesterday, we simply froze when we got into the box. I'm not even sure it was a case of the perfect goal, it seemed to me that early on there was a feeling that there would be a lot of scoring to go around so the players were trying unselfishly (too much so) to set each other up. Once that mentality had set-in and indecisiveness was rife we kept digging a hole. Then when we finally scored we thought it was all back on track and switched off. There two goals as annoying as they were shouldn't have mattered and it's the fault of all the players that they did.

awooga83

Established Member

Well I didn't see the whole Fulham game but yesterday it was like we didn't want to play no movement, no pressure I couldn't believe we were supposed to be a top division team, people kept passing to each other almost saying I don't know what to do you do something but it continued like that no ideas or penetration and we let the away team play however they wanted, that was the most galling thing we should be the ones takking it to then at home.

Captain

Established Member

we were still good enough to win yesterday; could have been 3-4 up by half time. We didn't play well but the wastefulness in front of goal is what cost us and is unforgivable.

On Hull's headed goal; it wasn't just Gallas, there was a complete lack of communication in there. Gallas looked behind him and Toure was marking the Hull player at the time, Toure then moved back a step to pick up another player and I can only assume that he didn't give Gallas a shout because the latters reaction was too slow to have recieved one.

Ade had a horrible game, much worse then RvP who seems to have taken the brunt of fan frustration and really we shouldn't be using Eboue on the left, he's too predictable there as he never goes outside, either carrying the ball or with a pass; it's just too easy to defend against.

Cesc was better but is still short, could be another month of this or maybe even the rest of the year, hopefully not.

Overall, the best arsenal player was in my opinion Denilson again.

giuliob

AnthonyG, you are being too kind! The mentality was already set from the first minute of the game...No commitment, no toughness, underestimating the opponent....They had plenty of chances, and couldn't convert...That game was for the taking if they had showed some resolve...Hull gave them a lesson in not giving up...Hope they got the message....

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Captain said:
On Hull's headed goal; it wasn't just Gallas, there was a complete lack of communication in there. Gallas looked behind him and Touré was marking the Hull player at the time, Touré then moved back a step to pick up another player and I can only assume that he didn't give Gallas a shout because the latters reaction was too slow to have recieved one.
It's scary but a similar thing happened for the Davies goal. Toure and Gallas peel off from each other and leave space and men free. In the Cousin goal there's also someone else on him (I can't make out who it is), but both he and Gallas jump a straight-line and there is no attempt by anyone to get into Cousin's space. Something's not right back there.

McIntyre

Established Member

Anzac said:
Oh the players owe us allright - my concern is that if they do win well v Porto & then follow it up in the PL, that they'll think they've done so as it will all be back on track as we haven't 'lost' anything as yet!!!!!

Biggus said:
@ McIntyre, Oh I'm confident we'll come back all guns blazing against Porto Mc, that's the whole point is it? our inconsistency is a classic example of "a work in progress".....The unfinished article.

The problem I have is that this has happened season after season now. The players need to learn that coming back with a performance after a defeat doesn't actually make up for the previous loss. It restores team spirit and gets us back on the right track again which is imperative, but it doesn't regain those three points we've lost or our advantage over our rivals.

I'm confident we'll win against Porto and hopefully we'll give Sunderland a pasting in the next league game. But I'm just sick and tired of us having to do so.

Obviously, every team loses at some point and it's testament to our players' character that we tend to respond quite well to them. But yesterday's performance reeked of an arrogant imperious attitude, and bouncing back well tends to just restore that attitude like nothing's gone wrong in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I desperately want us to bounce back but I think it's down to a bad attitude that we're in this situation in the first place. I thought we'd had our blip with that loss at Fulham, and the players even called it a "wake up call" but they don't seem to have heeded it. We've had the easiest start of all of the big four but we've still lost two games, and bouncing back well only masks that.

The players need to buck their ideas up and realise that these losses really hurt our campaign regardless of how well they play in the following games.

Feanor

Established Member

The problem with this loss is that we had no one step up and get on the players after they scored the second. They just looked stunned and never really recovered. Does not bode well, no character on this team right now. It's not the end of the world, we're still right in the thick of things but great teams win games against inferior competition even when not playing well, we don't have that mentality and we're not going to win the EPL without it. The Viera/Henry teams would have won both this game and the Fulham game by a goal. This team lacks leadership and character, that's all on Wenger. He decided to stick with kids and Gallas as the leader. No a winning combination right now.

Lukazan

Established Member

Yesterday was a shambles, a complete embarrassment.

Hull's first goal was a stroke of genius, nothing anyone could do about that but the goal from the corner was just typical Arsenal defending from set-pieces.

A bucket load of horrible performances yesterday, most notably from Theo, although credit to him for creating the goal, which he can do even when playing horribly, Eboue, who is so ****ing careless it begs belief, Adebayor, Gallas and Cesc Fabregas, who is looking anything but interested so far this season. It's worrying.

RVP and Ade just aren't doing it for me. I think Bendtner deserves a chance.

Needless points dropped ultimately, which is frustrating considering our form and play since the Fulham game.

algunner

All the players were LAZY!!! LAZY!!!! LAZY!!! They had too much time off from last week. Why do we always punt the ball when you know the opponents are winning the high ball is beyond me. Seriously the chances we had most came from penetration with diagonal pass and yet we keep punting the ball. That tells me the players were lazy didn't want to RUN and RUN and RUN. They simply wanted Hull defenders to make mistakes to win a match hoping for a lucky break when playing the arsenal way was creating much more chances. This just shows you the players didn't commit as much as Hull, didn't want to run just wanted to punt the ball and hope Ade or Bentdner win it. I just hope Wenger will teach them a lesson because this was just plain obvious Hull was going to win with the commitment the players showed.
I mean all of them were guilty. No player was better than the other ... only wish Vela was given more time.

Arsenal_FAN1983

We really need to take points off the top four, I think we can afford one loss against one of those, but no more and we need to beat teams like this from now on to stand a chance of winning the league, all we can do is see what happens and hope Wenger and the players get it right.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"

What irritated me most, apart from the crap defending, reluctancy to shoot & poor finishing, was how we played after going 1-2 down:

It makes a lot of sense to pump nearly every ball in the box, but it should not come from the back (forward hoofed balls are so easy to defend), but from the wings. Think we lost our composure.

dutchMasta

Oh man, I was so high during the match and luckily short-term memory loss is one of my symptoms, but all the negative emotions suddenly came rushing back today.

We played well enough to win, Theo had 2 great chances, 2 bad touches. We had 2-3 other decent opportunities to score, but seem to freeze up whenever we had the chance. Nothing like our previous games where we'd confidently stroke it into the net, so dunno what happened. But overall we weren't that good. I wouldn't say sh*t though, thought Fulham was worse. But losing at home to Hull, no matter how good the performance, is a worse result than playing **** and losing to Fulham.

I couldn't really tell if it was Gallas' fault for the goal, but I still want him dropped, or sold. He seems more destructive and constructive towards our game. I'd prefer Senderos/Song, since aerially they are at least decent. But I'd prefer Song in the MF, Senderos isn't here, so we've got Djourou and Silvestre as our other options.

So during the season, we've either got the option of playing around and finding a better CB pairing than the current ****fest of Kolo/Gallas, or we have the option with sticking with them, hoping that after over one years worth of playing together, they somehow improve. Either way, the situation doesn't look good, but I'd take the former any time of the day. Can't stand being aerially pathetic.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

We showed Hull no respect and we got what we deserved. Im glad we lost. Call me a fake fan I don't care- We deserved nothing.
It was embarrising.
Adebayor winking at the cameras at half time like the game was in the bag. Everyone walking in the 50-something minute- makes me sick.

2-1 now everyone wants to show some urgency. Stupid attitude we have. Whts the point of fighting for players when they produce trash like that. Let them **** off to Spain.

Biggus

Established Member

Hmmm, we can't even say it was a smash 'n grab- we actually took the lead and like many games last season strolled in the park until we were mugged. :x

N!

*hangs self*

Oh. dear. Lord.

What the hell happened?!

McIntyre

Established Member

algunner said:
All the players were LAZY!!! LAZY!!!! LAZY!!!

I second that! Within minutes of the kick off you could tell what kind of day it was going to be. And when we walked in 0-0 at half time it just showed how little they were putting into the game.

We had chances and we blew them. We had clear-cut openings that we overplayed. We had what are becoming clasic Arsenal moments of complete domination but absolutely no cutting edge. This poor performance falls on the players' heads and nobody else's. They had the quality and the chances to turn Hull over easily but they were too relaxed and arrogant to bother. Did we learn NOTHING from last season?!!! Or from the game against Fulham just a month ago for that matter?!!!

Webdesignlab

Established Member

Biggus said:
gunner_down_under said:
Just didn't think it would be them walking over us!

:roll: ain't that the truth...Even I wasn't that pessimistic.

Nor I. And I am pessimistic with a big P.

Did anyone call this before the match? Was ther one of us that thought we would lose? This is the one big factor ...we all thought this would be easy ... including the guys who were saving themselves for the Porto game (ha).

Big bunch of spoilt, overpaid brats is what they looked like.

_scorpion_

Established Member

Heaps of people have already mentioned it, but you could tell from the way the team started that this was going to be a lacklustre Arsenal performance.

Very poor attitude from the start.

RVP & Ade should be benched. Both were rubbish.

I hope Vela's cameo is enough to make sure we never see the 'piss master' on our Wings.

Theo was the only outlet and even though he made a truck load of mistakes, he seemed like the only player that actually cared.

I don't think we will miss 4th spot but any hope for winning the title has surely gone out the door - 2 losses in 6 games against teams that will not beat Manure & Chelsea.

I don't understand the Gallas bashing to be honest...our entire team cannot defend from set peices. From Almunia to Fabregas. Gallas get's a lot of critisim for the teams woeful attitude to set peice defending. It all starts at the keeper and to be quite frank - Almunia is junk.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom