• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Portsmouth | 28/12/05

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 230
  • Views 10,385

Fin_Gooner

I guess Hleb was just being rested since there's some tougher matches coming up and he has just recovered from a serious injury.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Fin_Gooner said:
Sounds like an excellent performance for a change. Too bad this had to be the 1st EPL match I totally missed this season (I wish it had been the dreadful Bolton match instead). Well, I guess it's just my luck. I started downloading the MOTM this morning and will watch it on my lunch break. Up the gunners!

always the way innit? ive been able to see all the losses, but not our 2 best games (fulham and this one).
got villa live on tv here though, and man utd which is always quite "interesting" watching it with my manc brother. "pizzagate" in our house is a regular occurence.

Legend#1

Established Member
Best players:

Reyes
Flamini
Pires
Thierry

Gilberto was much improved as it goes.. allbeit a weak opposition.. Bergkamp was OK.. Henry was very good.. Defence wasn't troubled at all.. Cygan gave the ball away numerous times.

The thing i've enjoyed and seen about Reyes these last 2 games.. He doesn't go on a Maradonna esque mission and try and beat 5 players.. He's kept it simple and been very effective.. Another assist and another goal Thumbs Up

I was mostly impressed with Bobby though.. Such an improved performance, if he continues to perform like that against better opposition.. Mixed with the faith Henry shows in him.. We'll get more goals.

Flamini's pass to Reyes for Bergy's goal was good and his through ball to Thierry was awesome aswell.. I may call him average, but he had a very good game.

asajoseph

Established Member
I missed the game, so I don't know how Flamini played. I wrote him off a month or so ago, and since then, he's put in a couple of good performances (Chelsea, and apparently Pompey which I intend to watch soon) - if he can put in a few more good games like these, I'll of course be the first to admit that I got my initial assessment of him wrong.

However, the comment I find most interesting from Wenger was his statement that Flamini's game is better suited to playing on a large pitch - generally, I'd say that in theory this would be true of the whole Arsenal side - with players like Fabregas, Reyes and Hleb able to use wide open spaces to send expansive passes for the likes of Freddie and Thierry, it's a strategy that sounds like it might work. For the moment, we'll ignore the fact that most our success this season has come from playing on the confined spaces at Highbury...

But where does Flamini fit into this? Will his strength be less of an issue, and his terrier-like attitude more effective?

Fin_Gooner

invisibleman18 said:
always the way innit? ive been able to see all the losses, but not our 2 best games (fulham and this one).
got villa live on tv here though, and man utd which is always quite "interesting" watching it with my manc brother. "pizzagate" in our house is a regular occurence.

Yeah, I'm getting the Villa and ManU matches aswell. Hopefully we'll beat at least Villa. A point from ManU would be a fairly good result at the moment.

Smartly Dressed Morris

Well it was nice to actually enjoy watching Arsenal play well again and as the commentator said "this is classic Arsenal".

And my did Flamini impress me - if he plays like that every game I will have to take back my early thoughts on him.

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I missed the game, so I don't know how Flamini played. I wrote him off a month or so ago, and since then, he's put in a couple of good performances (Chelsea, and apparently Pompey which I intend to watch soon) - if he can put in a few more good games like these, I'll of course be the first to admit that I got my initial assessment of him wrong.

However, the comment I find most interesting from Wenger was his statement that Flamini's game is better suited to playing on a large pitch - generally, I'd say that in theory this would be true of the whole Arsenal side - with players like Fabregas, Reyes and Hleb able to use wide open spaces to send expansive passes for the likes of Freddie and Thierry, it's a strategy that sounds like it might work. For the moment, we'll ignore the fact that most our success this season has come from playing on the confined spaces at Highbury...

But where does Flamini fit into this? Will his strength be less of an issue, and his terrier-like attitude more effective?
even to do that, we'd need a true winger in order to stretch the opposition, as we saw with Doncaster and Charlton, we allowed teams to pack the centre strip of the park and shut us outta the game.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Was at the game last night, in the surprisingly humourous North Bank Upper- what a view!

Anyway, as others have said, a majestic first half- some of our passing was wonderful- and a second half that, at half time you kind of expected, but was still disappointing.

Is Jose Reyes finally starting to adapt to the team's game? The way he outstripped whoever the defender was and got his pass away at pace was thrilling. Not as thrilling as the finish from Dennis, though, it really was a wonderful goal. If I can dwell a second on Reyes, most of you will know that I was, up until recently a big fan of the guy, but had pretty much given up on him following his horror show against Blackburn. I'm now beginning to suspect that he will prove to be a big player for us, but in not any consistent form. Maybe I'll prove to be wrong, after all he's only 22.

Staying with Reyes, obviously, the goal he got for 2-0 must rank as one of his best for the club. A goal made in France by the composure of Henry. But Reyes wouldn't have finished like that a month ago, I doubt he'd even have shot. It was a great finish. And in the cold weather too!

It was ironic really, last night, we didn't create that much, in fact I saw a stat that said we'd only had 5 shots on target (the fifth being Dennis' drive that the keeper did his best to throw in) and yet we were so clinical. It's good to see.

Clinical would also describe Henry last night, economical might do too, Jo didn't think he'd played that well. But when you score two and make another, what else do you need to do? Matty Flamini showed good composure, vision and ultimately a great final pass for Henry to go round the keeper, lifting the ball over the covering defender. If he'd slid the ball towards goal I think the defender may have cleared, so it was a smart finish from Henry. And his penalty, which I couldn't really see why it was given although I have since seen it, was typically laconic. Can you take a "laconic" penalty? I think so..

Kolo and Sol did what they had to do well, following on from their strong showing at Charlton. Kolo will be a big loss when the African Nations come up.

Pascal... did some good stuff last night, and I kind of have a grudgiing respect for the guy now, every thing he did last night was greeted with an ironic cheer, or just straight out laughter. I can't imagine how a professional footballer copes with this humiliation. That said, he's still not good enough, as I said to the bloke next to me- No point in overlapping if the player (in this case Reyes) clearly doesn't want to pass to you.

The crowd was a bit patchy last night- although the moment when a Pompey sub was greeted by a unanimous "WHO?" from most of the North Upper was funny. The Pompey fans were irritating, who else hates that "Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up Pompey, always play up" chant? Must do their players in too, they never seem to be listening. "4-0 and you still don't sing" was greeted with the usual indifference. Reyes got a huge ovation on leaving the pitch, I was disappointed at first then reasoned he was probably happy to come off after a good night's work.

Interesting that a first team without Freddie- as against Fulham all those months ago- put in another superb footballing performance. We've left Freddie behind a long time ago IMO. Just hope that this is seen and acted upon by he who matters.

Anyway, Pompey were there for the taking, nonetheless Arsène said last week we were back, he may just be right.

A

Anonymous

It's not about Reyes adopting to the team, it's about the team adopting to Reyes. Ditto with RVP.

I asked for Reyes to score and he did.

But the key to everything was simple.. the team was more energetic.
Gilberto and Flamini HAVE to up the work rate. They did. IF GIlberto could shoot, it would have been 5-0.

BannedKwame

Perhaps our expectations of Henry are too high-- which is justified considering he's easily one of the two most skillful players on earth--but had Reyes done what Henry did yesterday everyone would be hailing Reyes, so let's the great man the credit he deserves for his last two performances. In anycase, the first half was a cakewalk. Portsmouth gave us space and allowed us to attack pretty much at will. However I must say I was pleased with the performace of the team as a whole, including Cygan. If Reyes continues his form I might just think him worthy of the investment in time and money we've made in him-- the talent as we all know is there in abundance.

Good to see Liverpool becoming good again. The traditionally good teams in English football: Liverpool, Arsenal, and Manchester United must be able to take points away from the Russian machine for anyone outside Chelski to win the EPL.

IBL

Established Member
A couple of pics from last night. It may be the first and last ever evening match I go to at Highbury.

Highbury in stunning condition
dsc001166wr.jpg

Whats the score?
dsc001173vy.jpg

James

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
It was ironic really, last night, we didn't create that much, in fact I saw a stat that said we'd only had 5 shots on target (the fifth being Dennis' drive that the keeper did his best to throw in) and yet we were so clinical. It's good to see.
Indeed. At the end of the first half, we only had 4 shots on target.

RocktheCasbah said:
The crowd was a bit patchy last night- although the moment when a Pompey sub was greeted by a unanimous "WHO?" from most of the North Upper was funny. The Pompey fans were irritating, who else hates that "Plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up Pompey, always play up" chant? Must do their players in too, they never seem to be listening. "4-0 and you still don't sing" was greeted with the usual indifference. Reyes got a huge ovation on leaving the pitch, I was disappointed at first then reasoned he was probably happy to come off after a good night's work.

Atmosphere was a bit dull, but there was a group of us in the outer wing in the north bank lower who tried to get things going. There was one guy going absolutely mental infront of me who had the majority in the lower in hysterics i think. There was also a group of about 4 young black lads in the very back row who were having some kind of rave :?

Think the loudest cheer of the night though was at half time when it was announced Kanu & West Brom were 1-0 up.

Tony Montana

Established Member
I also went to the game, very exciting first half and a good night out.

Reyes was very sharp tonight, better than he has been in recent months. Fortunately, he didn't try to do too much and end up on his arse but passed when he needed to and when his tricks and runs didn't come off the ball ended in a throw in to us. Well taken goal to, nice to see Arsenal resembling their old form of fluency again although we do need to beat Aston Villa in a similar fashion to get the right amount of confidence to dent Manure's form.

Henry, Toure and Flamini stood out for me....oh what the heck, the whole damn team stood out for me last night, just more solid than usual albeit against a poor team who are low on confidence.

Atmosphere was not that good. It seemed pretty good in the North Bank Lower but that was because I was standing near loudmouths who know how to support their team. You know there is a problem when you sing, 'stand up if you hate Tottenham' and some people don't even stand up. On MOTD the atmosphere seemed poor, even when we scored. For example when Henry scored his penalty most people just clapped Too many times did songs fade when more sophisticated chants rang out which is a shame because they are sometimes funnier. Portsmouth fans were quite good though in the second half.

James

Established Member
Awesome pictures IBL.

Can't remember if it's been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that in the first half, our play was alot more direct and back to our old style of play. Kolo was actually playing those long balls to Thierry which we became a custom to in our unbeaten season. He put him through to set up Jose's goal.

James

Established Member
Also, another thing about Highbury, is the most annoying thing i find is that if an attacking move doesn't result in a goal, nobody seems to clap the thought and effort behind it. It's just met with moans, even when we were 4 up. There are some miserable bastards amongst our lot.

Tony Montana

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
James said:
I shall be present in the North Bank for this one.

Sorry to hear about that mate, im sure you'll get over it :wink:

Make sure you make those lazy bastards get off their posh arses and try and generate a bit of atmosphere!

And if you see that ****ing pompey supporter with that f****g bell, shot him.

Clock End wasn't that great either. When the pompey fans were chanting and pointing at you, you should have replied more forcefully but ironically, a lot of the clock end gooners were on their arses. The people I sat near in the North Bank Lower tried to make a bit of atmosphere but most people just wanted to sit down and watch like in a theatre. On the other hand, the people near me weren't exactly posh either but yeah, they were on their arses a lot of the time.

James

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
RockyRocastle said:
James said:
I shall be present in the North Bank for this one.

Sorry to hear about that mate, im sure you'll get over it :wink:

Make sure you make those lazy bastards get off their posh arses and try and generate a bit of atmosphere!

And if you see that ****ing pompey supporter with that f****g bell, shot him.
Clock End wasn't that great either. When the pompey fans were chanting and pointing at you, you should have replied more forcefully but ironically, a lot of the clock end gooners were on their arses. The people I sat near in the North Bank Lower tried to make a bit of atmosphere but most people just wanted to sit down and watch like in a theatre. On the other hand, the people near me weren't exactly posh either but yeah, they were on their arses a lot of the time.
Hahaha, only just seen that post from Rocky.

The pompey fan with the bell couldn't have been there, cause i couldn't hear it. I know he was kicked out of Highbury two seasons ago cause he wouldn't stop like the stewards asked him. Perhaps he's been banned? :lol:

The North Bank Lower generated alot more atmosphere than the Clock End last night. It looked dead in there. The East Lower was even outsinging them in reply to "We're the North Bank..."

RockyRocastle

Established Member
About time Reyes and Flamini started to show their potential. They owe of us a few more performances like last night. Good to them looking like they are coming good.

Atmosphere was a bit dull last night, and when the game is as easy as it was it is always like that in the CE. Saying that though, I hardly heard the NB, apart from their muggy we're the NB song.

It will be interesting next season when you have the mentalist CE season ticket holders, NB regulars and Redaction all behind one goal.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom