• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal vs T*ttenham Hotspur | Sunday, Nov. 6th - 12:00 GMT| BT Sport 1

What will be the result of this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger admitted he is concerned by Granit Xhaka's disciplinary record ahead of Sunday's north London derby at home to Tottenham.

The Switzerland midfielder is in line to play against the Gunners' fierce local rivals for the first time, with Santi Cazorla likely to be still sidelined with an Achilles problem.

Of those four, Walcott is the closest to making it into contention to face Sp**s, while Cazorla is a doubt having not trained all week.

Ewarwoowar

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger admitted he is concerned by Granit Xhaka's disciplinary record ahead of Sunday's north London derby at home to Tottenham.

The Switzerland midfielder is in line to play against the Gunners' fierce local rivals for the first time, with Santi Cazorla likely to be still sidelined with an Achilles problem.

Of those four, Walcott is the closest to making it into contention to face Sp**s, while Cazorla is a doubt having not trained all week.

He has got defenderitus, it's like dartitus only more *, His kicking out seems to be an involuntary action, a rubber band on the wrist should do the trick.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Class is permanent, form is temporary. Walcott's had a good period of form but he's not a top class player so I don't think his inclusion after injury should be automatic. Currently, form wise Ox has been making valuable contributions and Walcott has been injured. I'd like to see Walcott win his place back rather than have it handed back on the basis of 'merit' which really means 'good form'. Walcott is capable of being poor and wasn't good against Boro while Ox made a decisive contributions towards Arsenal returning to winning ways against Reading and Sunderland.

Bellerin seems to have been rested but not Walcott. Wenger's press conference suggests that Walcott still needs to prove his fitness to be included in the squad so I think we should see him on the bench if he makes it.

The "class is permanent, form is temporary " is valid for Ox as well. We are talking about Ox here...Not anywhere near a top class player. ;)
As we speak now, Theo is, by large, a better contributor to Arsenal than Ox and has always been.
Anyway, let's agree that we disagree then. If Ox can force his way into the line up, more power to him. I just don't see it happening. We will see this week end and the rest of the season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
So Theo and Bellerin playing then. As I expected. Would rather have Gibbs up against their right side than Jenkinson up against Rose and probably Lamela down their left side. He'd get targeted.

Oh_Snap

I'd rather let Özil play the Cazorla-Role then letting Xhaka play against Sp**s. We got a lunatic on our hands here. Özil played that role against Italy in a friendly already and everybody was suprised how good we was at it. Put Alexis behind Giroud and have Iwobi left and Walcott right.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'd rather let Özil play the Cazorla-Role then letting Xhaka play against Sp**s. We got a lunatic on our hands here. Özil played that role against Italy in a friendly already and everybody was suprised how good we was at it. Put Alexis behind Giroud and have Iwobi left and Walcott right.
As much as I agree that Xhaka could cause us problems I feel Özil in that position leaves us completely exposed.

Uncle Good-Advice

Can't remember such positive vibe before the NLD, even sh*t performance against Ludogorets was overshadowed by Özil's wondergoal. Sp*rs have a lot of uncertainties and surely will play rather cagey which is not their strongest suit.

Hopefully players won't take the win for granted, there's a huge role to do for our experienced internationals to keep everybody alert. I'm sure that our home support will be up to it and fully stand behind the team so that should help.

It's a derby, anything can happen but good performance is all I'm asking for. Then the result will come.

COYG!

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
The "class is permanent, form is temporary " is valid for Ox as well. We are talking about Ox here...Not anywhere near a top class player. ;)
As we speak now, Theo is, by large, a better contributor to Arsenal than Ox and has always been.
Anyway, let's agree that we disagree then. If Ox can force his way into the line up, more power to him. I just don't see it happening. We will see this week end and the rest of the season.

I'm well aware that "class is permanent, form is temporary " also applies to the Ox. I think I made that completely clear by describing why Ox is the man with the form and fitness over the very recent past, and in possession of the spot. At no point did I even vaguely suggest that Ox is a top class player. I just pointed out that Walcott certainly isn't proven top class. If we were discussing Özil, Alexis, Cazorla, Koscielny, Mustafi, Cech, the debate would be totally different.

It was you who said that Walcott should play based on "merit", when you should have said "form this season" or something like that...

I have a lot of doubts about both players' abilities to be consistent first-teamers at Arsenal because the squad has been being strengthened consistently for over 3 years now and if Özil and Alexis sign new contracts, then those wide positions could be the next place where some serious quality gets added. The Ox in particular will find it tough to establish himself having had less consistent game time. He's had a run of games, made valuable contributions, Walcott's fitness is in doubt. I think it's time to back the Ox and I have a feeling that Wenger might agree...

Last edited:

Rocky

Wenger saving him for Utd and PSG i would like to believe

Don't get your hopes up. There aren't many signs to be optimistic about Cazorla's fitness other than that Wenger said he would try to practice today. Arsenal will be lucky to get consistent game time from Cazorla this season I feel...

Cech
Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Gibbs
Coq Xhaka
Ox Özil Iwobi
Alexis

Bench: Ospina, Gabriel, Monreal(Holding/Jenkinson), Elneny, Ramsey, Walcott, Giroud

Last edited:

logic DC

I think you overreacting, Xhaka is not a Shawcross or that bloke from Sunderland, he is a quality player who should be playing these games especially as Santi is absent, I presume Wenger will talk to him and we'll see what happen.

Oh_Snap

I think you overreacting, Xhaka is not a Shawcross or that bloke from Sunderland, he is a quality player who should be playing these games especially as Santi is absent, I presume Wenger will talk to him and we'll see what happen.

He had 3 red cards just last season. Even vs. Ludogorets it was very possible that he'd get a red card for that stupid foul where he went for nothing but the opponents body. Don't get me wrong, i like Xhaka and he's a good player but he needs a mental coach asap before we use him against any "Top"-Team as his weird, emotional tackles can cause us problems. If he plays and it works out - fine with me. But it's still a high risk imho.

WhatAFC

I'm well aware that "class is permanent, form is temporary " also applies to the Ox. I think I made that completely clear by describing why Ox is the man with the form and fitness over the very recent past, and in possession of the spot. At no point did I even vaguely suggest that Ox is a top class player. I just pointed out that Walcott certainly isn't proven top class. If we were discussing Özil, Alexis, Cazorla, Koscielny, Mustafi, Cech, the debate would be totally different.

It was you who said that Walcott should play based on "merit", when you should have said "form this season" or something like that...

I have a lot of doubts about both players' abilities to be consistent first-teamers at Arsenal because the squad has been being strengthened consistently for over 3 years now and if Özil and Alexis sign new contracts, then those wide positions could be the next place where some serious quality gets added. The Ox in particular will find it tough to establish himself having had less consistent game time. He's had a run of games, made valuable contributions, Walcott's fitness is in doubt. I think it's time to back the Ox and I have a feeling that Wenger might agree...

On merit was the correct saying.
Walcott: 244 apps 60 goals
Ox: 108 apps 8 goals

Think that's safe to say Theo has contributed more to the club than Ox. Not to mention, Walcott has missed 1 PL game. He's been one of our best players so far this season. Ox has a single assist to his name in the PL against the bottom club in the league. Theo has 5 goals and 2 assists. If he's fit then it's a no brainier for him to start over Ox.

carlito'sway

Established Member

I guess we are in full semantics now....:lol:
I used the word meritocracy indeed, i.e the players will be picked based on their ability, level of performance and contribution and based on that it is clear Theo brings more to the table.
Anyway, if it was up to me, both would have been shipped out last Summer. I agree with you doubting both of them being consistent first teamers and I will not be surprised if one of them is out next summer, specially if we bring a top talent upfront.

Rocky

On merit was the correct saying.
Walcott: 244 apps 60 goals
Ox: 108 apps 8 goals

Think that's safe to say Theo has contributed more to the club than Ox. Not to mention, Walcott has missed 1 PL game. He's been one of our best players so far this season. Ox has a single assist to his name in the PL against the bottom club in the league. Theo has 5 goals and 2 assists. If he's fit then it's a no brainier for him to start over Ox.

Stats don't prove much without other information though do they?

Here's a stat. The last 3 Arsenal games
Ox - 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 wins
Walcott - 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 wins, 0 minutes

Of course Walcott has contributed more to the club, but he's never been fully convincing. They're at different stages of their career, and they reached those stages with a different level of player competition. At 23, Walcott wasn't having to compete with Alexis Sanchez, Iwobi, Lucas and and older version of himself.

5 goals and 2 assists from Walcott is good but he's has a lot more game time for the opportunity to make an impact than Ox, and Walcott remains a player with limitations and the ability to be inconsistent, didn't play well against Boro, which is why I'd like to see him earn his way back to a starting spot rather than having it handed to him automatically...

GT2006

I'm shocked by some people's teams on here :D but all a matter of opinion I suppose!

For me - granted everybody is fit and healthy - there is only ONE position really up for grabs and that would be who partners Cazorla in CM. Xhaka could be in there being the better passer of the ball and for his height from set pieces against Sp**s. He would be able to deal with the high pressing maybe more capably than Coquelin.
Coquelin would thrive on the occasion of playing the NLD and would be able to help the defence out against the dangerous counters Sp**s will surely have.

I would slightly favour towards Coquelin, but wouldnt mind either.

Nacho had 1/2 bad games and people are making it out he's awful - he's still one of the top left backs in the league, by a long way! And he's far more reliable than Gibbs, who i would really worry about against the likes of Walker bombing down the right.

The Bellerin/Walcott combination is really developing and I think it's one we need to stick to provided they are both fit to play.

The Ox, Ramsey, Giroud or even Xhaka if winning are all great options to spring from the bench.

I will predict a hard fought and nervy 2-1 win.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Stats don't prove much without other information though do they?

Here's a stat. The last 3 Arsenal games
Ox - 2 goals, 1 assist, 3 wins
Walcott - 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 wins, 0 minutes

Of course Walcott has contributed more to the club, but he's never been fully convincing. They're at different stages of their career, and they reached those stages with a different level of player competition. At 23, Walcott wasn't having to compete with Alexis Sanchez, Iwobi, Lucas and and older version of himself.

5 goals and 2 assists from Walcott is good but he's has a lot more game time for the opportunity to make an impact than Ox, and Walcott remains a player with limitations and the ability to be inconsistent, didn't play well against Boro, which is why I'd like to see him earn his way back to a starting spot rather than having it handed to him automatically...

Mate, you really want Ox to start on Sunday, we got that. ;)
The last three Arsenal games.... Theo was injured for 2 of them.
Let me also mention that the 2 Ox goals are vs the mighty Reading in the Mickey Cup, so let's put this into context then.
Finally, the point is Theo has already earned his starting spot by his overall performances this season. It is not that it will be handed back to him. He simply deserves to get it back since he has not done much wrong to be benched, except that he had a slight injury. That is the way it generally works in football.
Seriously, we all have our biases and favorites around here but I don''t even see how this can be an topic for discussion here.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I'm shocked by some people's teams on here :D but all a matter of opinion I suppose!

For me - granted everybody is fit and healthy - there is only ONE position really up for grabs and that would be who partners Cazorla in CM. Xhaka could be in there being the better passer of the ball and for his height from set pieces against Sp**s. He would be able to deal with the high pressing maybe more capably than Coquelin.
Coquelin would thrive on the occasion of playing the NLD and would be able to help the defence out against the dangerous counters Sp**s will surely have.

I would slightly favour towards Coquelin, but wouldnt mind either.

Nacho had 1/2 bad games and people are making it out he's awful - he's still one of the top left backs in the league, by a long way! And he's far more reliable than Gibbs, who i would really worry about against the likes of Walker bombing down the right.

The Bellerin/Walcott combination is really developing and I think it's one we need to stick to provided they are both fit to play.

The Ox, Ramsey, Giroud or even Xhaka if winning are all great options to spring from the bench.

I will predict a hard fought and nervy 2-1 win.

Good post mate. We all have our biases and favorites but sometimes, fans let that blind their sense of perspective. ;)

I really like Ox, Giroud and Ramsey as options from the bench. While they don't totally fit within the current team's structure and game flow, they can bring elements of unpredictability and a lot of energy when they come in, if needed.

Reactions: SYS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom