• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Blackburn Rovers Vs Arsenal | Sat 17th Sept | 12:45pm |

Anzac

Established Member
CandysRoom said:
You make a good point Outlaw and as our 4-3-3 lacks a dominant midfield, the whole system is often going to fall short.

When we're forced to go 4-5-1, having the likes of Arshavin and Walcott playing LM/RM roles is a complete waste of time. We'd be better served playing the likes of Santos and Ramsey respectively.

IMO we play 4231 with the ball & 4411 without it = essentially we've been playing a 2 CM midfield ever since Cesc was put forward into the hole. Anyone who thinks we should revert to a 442 with 2 CMs needs to really take a hard look at just what we do in open play NOW to see their wish as a reality.

We saw our play struggle re supply & quality as a result until Wilshere made his mark last season, and we're struggling with the same issues again now. IMO this is essentially because we THINK we're playing a 3 CM midfield but the reality is that we're NOT. Regardless of the shape the AMC / playmaker doesn't spend a lot of time playing from midfield unless it is the result of player interchange - essentially our 2 midfield CMs match up with the opposition.

Quite simply we CAN'T dominate the midfield because we don't have the numbers to do so. Further to this we don't have another Wilshere to transition the ball forward quickly enough to our 2 departed players who were so good at holding possession - Cesc & Nasri.

qs

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Yeah, our ability in the first and middle third has gone down the drain, and the thing about that is, Fabregas seldom played in the first third since moving higher up the pitch, and his movements into the middle third were infrequent. We obviously miss Wilshere, but I dare say, players like Denilson and Diaby were pretty decent in the first and middle third. We just hated on their inability to be creative in the final third, but they weren't totally incapable of keeping the ball moving successfully.

Alot of the passing problems are coming from the back 4. Arteta was particularly good in our half and Song wasn't any better or worse than he usually is or has been. Most of it actually came from Koscielny and Mertesacker. Shava lost quite a bit too but looking at the areas where he lost it and thinking back to the game I'd put an awful lot of that down to people not showing for the ball.

We need Song and Arteta coming deep to pick up the ball from the centre halfs more. I think that would sort out alot of the issue we're having. There is a real lack of players coming looking for the ball in general at the moment. Its a problem that needs to be fixed.

Anzac

Established Member
qs said:
Alot of the passing problems are coming from the back 4. Arteta was particularly good in our half and Song wasn't any better or worse than he usually is or has been. Most of it actually came from Koscielny and Mertesacker. Shava lost quite a bit too but looking at the areas where he lost it and thinking back to the game I'd put an awful lot of that down to people not showing for the ball.

We need Song and Arteta coming deep to pick up the ball from the centre halfs more. I think that would sort out alot of the issue we're having. There is a real lack of players coming looking for the ball in general at the moment. Its a problem that needs to be fixed.

IMO it's all part of a continuation of the philosophy we saw AW employ last season A v Villa etc, when he was pushing everyone into the opposition half ahead of the ball so as 'to play the game in the opposition's half' - just like he thinks attack is the best form of defence.

We'd do a LOT better if the attack advanced with the ball at feet rather than them getting to the last man & then waiting for delivery to feet with back to goal.

eye4goal

Established Member
I was watching some analysis by on the Old Firm game and Celtic are having similar problems with the zonal-marking system at set-pieces. They lined up just like us too deep in their 6 yard box and allowed the runners too much space to run into.

article-0-06ADBDF0000005DC-723_470x112.jpg

bburncorner.jpg

Also, players need to hold thier "zones" which Koscielny did not do

Anzac

Established Member
IMO you can not afford to have everyone static in the box waiting for the ball to arrive at their 'zone', as you give the opposition the advantage in a head to head leap for the ball = someone has to attack the ball.

Spork

Established Member
Has anyone else noticed how we seem to be moving a bit further away from crosses and more into 'cut-backs'? Such as the goal which Arteta scored? I've seen us at least attempt to do this on multiple occasions this season, and I did not see it hardly at all in the last.

I quite like it, it seems to work out more often than not - at least getting on target or close to - it will take a while to get it down packed I guess.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom