• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Charlton Athletic vs Arsenal | 26/12/05

mrsvanpersie

jmd4211 said:
My God, what does it take to make some people happy? This was a vast improvement on recent performances, and although I wouldn't make any wild statements like 'we're back', I thought it was really encouraging.
Finally! Someone who speaks my mind....

Viper

Established Member
This was one of Gilberto's and Ljungberg's better games from what I saw. Hleb was dissappointing though..

jmd4211

asajoseph said:
Jmd,

Could you point me toward the post where someone demanded that Wenger was fired?

In each of the threads following the past 3 defeats there have been some. Much OTT sensational reactions going on.

Gurgen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Oh, and I didn't get much of an impression of Flamini from the commentary I heard - did he show signs of kicking on from his good performance against Chelsea? Or was he back to his mediocre best?

Well since he was playing as a left winger...

Nothing special. Delivered one bad cross that almost went in.

awooga83

Established Member
We won which is great but you have to look at the performance today it
wasn't great against a Charlton side in at least as bad form if not worse then us.

We need to imporove our performances because this season we have been poor for large spells of the season and though we might have had a few games where we play all right and i think we'll kick on from it we have been incosistent. Our general performance is whats been letting us down in a lot of games and we have to play Man U in a couple of games and if we can't get our perfomance back to a reasonably high level we will be in trouble.

siddharth

A much needed win and an away one too. My biggest worry is our defence.We don't have any composure while defending and the fact that our defence is uncomfortable when dealing with the balls popped into the box is very disturbing.Charlton hardly threatened us in this match and we have to improve a lot more.

Reyes played well today but i'm still not sure how's he going to fit in our team. The problem with reyes is if you play him on the LM then he has too much of the ball and after playing with the ball he runs out of options and makes silly passes. On the other hand if you play him as a forward , he gets less of the ball and he has no chance against a decent defence.

Like somebody on this forum said, reyes's best position is a LAM i.e a 4-3-3 and i don't think wenger will implement that formation in the long term. BTW when do we play manure ?

A

Anonymous

I was very suprised Wenger went straight to 4-5-1 and didnt try a 4-3-3 as when Thierry dropped back we were playing 6 in midfield.

I feel for the last 2 seasons Sol has some what carried Kolo in defense but now Kolo is the better defender.

Reyes had a very good second half and Gilberto+ Freddie showed great improvement from previous games.

vanBasten

asajoseph said:
Oh, and I didn't get much of an impression of Flamini from the commentary I heard - did he show signs of kicking on from his good performance against Chelsea? Or was he back to his mediocre best?

Only got like 10 min, and he was thrown in as a left midfielder. But he did a decent job, som good passes, didn't give the ball away. I guess we have to wait until he gets a start or at least 25 min to know if he's taken anything from his Chelsea performance.

the dawn raids

Established Member
same story as usual; too much indecision in the box that could have left us with a comfortable victory. and wengers substitutions were again pretty poor. i thought hleb was coming more into the game when he went off (hes coming along i think, albeit much too slowly for any arsenal fans liking; still tried to force too many balls upfield, and i think he looks to Henry too much, so when hes not open the move breaks down more often than not. but at least he took a shot). and why you take reyes off when he is playing as well as anyone out there ive no idea. again, a decent performance, but we made it much harder than it needed to be.

Does anyone think Wenger is just playing this formation till Cole or Clichy come back? In my opinion it looks like the players don't know what their jobs are, it's so plainly obvious!

I think the 4-5-1 is giving Cygan extra protection because we saw how horribly exposed he was against Wigan and Wenger thinks if we pack the midfield then it will make it more diffucult to exploit Cygan's ****ness at left back. I really hope this is just a short term solution because Henry really isnt a target man and we all know he is not the best in the air despite his height.

Overall i thought the performance was better than before, especially in the second half. Reyes did his bit and lifted the team with his passion, good to see the fans singing his name, he definitely deserved it.

Henry seemed a bit lacklustre but as the game wore on he grew into it more. By far not a vintage performance.

Ljungberg had a better game but is low on confidence, his miss in the first half was ridiculous.

Cesc, Hleb and Gilberto all had quiet games.

Lauren was poor in my opinion, lost the ball a lot of the time, made a few rash tackles, generally wasn't his consistant self.

Toure and Sol were immense, Lehmann had a good game ( he is my favoutrite playter at this moment in time.)

Cygan was his usual self, nothing special.

Wenger should realise that the formation that he's playing is leaving us a bit toothless up front. We should refert to 4-4-2 once Ashley returns next month then the ball will start rolling!

baccy_man

Established Member
it was good to see some one touch football again we cut them apart with that play . a pity there was not more of it if the team can get used to playing like that again then i can see more victory's coming our way.

didnt get to see the game...**** load of relatives were over so couldnt get out the house but im just hapy with the result, thats what we need right now, results, is there no pleasing some people!? our quality of play will show through eventually, we need some momentum first, have faith my friends...

seb_afc

Established Member
I think charlton were guilty of what we were guilty of against chelsea, which was offering us too much respect. If charlton really had a go at us today instead of letting us pass the ball around (of which we failed to capitalise) then perhaps the outcome would have been different. Having said that though, the boys did play rather well but i think it was mainly down to charltons poor display.

James

Established Member
Reyes' fantastic 20 minute spell in the second half was the highlight of the game . Toure and Campbell looked the correct partnership for the moment. Lauren had a shakey performance and Cygan, well...was Cygan.

Ljungberg went missing the majority of the time, and you could always find him sat on his ass shaking his head. Fabregas was quiet. Gilberto yet again struggled to make 10 yard passes and was so slow on the ball he put himself under alot of pressure. Hleb was also disappointing, not for the first time this season.

Couldn't work out how Thierry got MOTM on Sky.

Our lot in the Jimmy Seed sounded awesome today.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom