• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Charlton Athletic vs Arsenal | 26/12/05

asajoseph

Established Member
Maybe it's just been where I've been sitting then... Luck of the draw I guess... Personally, I thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good at Wigan, although I was right in the corner next to the Wigan fans, so we had some great banter going...

JazzG

Established Member
Ok performance. Should of scored more but we didn't. Fred missed a sitter after some some of the most glorious build up play I've seen from us in a long long time. Charlton were hopeless though, really **** and we should of won like 5-0. Though as the game went on Henry was looking more and more dangerous, Reyes had a good game and we started to look more like a team. Gilberto was poor though, what is up with him these days. Thought he was really good for us last season when he played but really has let us down this season.

Thought Cygan did ok as well, as did most of our defense. Hleb is really looking rusty, thought he had this class about him when he first came but the injury has kind of ****ed that up. I think he will get better as he gets used to the team. People expect too much of our new signings at times. He has come into an Arsenal team low on confidence and playing **** in general and that isn't gonna help him settle in.

RockyRocastle said:
Havent seen the game on TV, but my mates said we came across loud and clear. Makes for a change, and shows what we can do when we can be arsed.

To me it sounded more like Charlton fans being **** than ours being good ;)

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Thierry talks up Jose in a guardian article

A win at Charlton represented a positive response to three league defeats and Henry picked out Jose Antonio Reyes for praise. "Jose deserved the goal because he worked a lot," he said. "Not only him but I want to talk about him specially because we need him to do this kind of performance for us. This was magnificent."

What makes it funny is that Myles palmer had a go at Thierry for not encouraging Jose at all and lo and behold the next day .....

KingReyes

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
What did you think of our fans mate?

I thought we were the bollocks the other day, I think the longest period I was quiet for was about 5 minutes!

Havent seen the game on TV, but my mates said we came across loud and clear. Makes for a change, and shows what we can do when we can be arsed.

I saw the game mate and you came across very loud indeed, well done.

The best was when you guys cheered everytime Cygan completed a successful pass. (Thats if I'm not mistaken)

invisibleman18

Established Member
celestis said:
What makes it funny is that Myles palmer had a go at Thierry for not encouraging Jose at all and lo and behold the next day .....

whats funny about it?
surely by now you know that whatever old Myles says, the exact opposite always happens within a few days.
He keeps saying henry will certainly stay next season which is slightly worrying.

sabret00the

Established Member
invisibleman18 said:
celestis said:

whats funny about it?
surely by know you know that whatever old Myles says, the exact always opposite happens within a few days.
he keeps saying henry will certainly stay next season which is slightly worrying.
:lol:

kamikaze80

Established Member
i only just got around to watching the match, but wow, the movement and passing for freddies sitter was amazing. havent seen anything like that from us in months, i think i re-played it around 10 times just to soak it all in

gstew

kamikaze80 said:
i only just got around to watching the match, but wow, the movement and passing for freddies sitter was amazing. havent seen anything like that from us in months, i think i re-played it around 10 times just to soak it all in

Did you notice Cygan's part in the build up? I wish he would get a fair shake...criticism for poor play and praise for good play.

kamikaze80

Established Member
sure did. it was a routine pass by our standards, but perfectly weighted and a good decision on his part to play the one-two. hes quite a good passer on the floor when he has time to compose himself.

asajoseph

Established Member
One thing struck me about Hleb in this game - he's clearly still very early juvenile in his period of settling into the Arsenal team.

His passing is actually fantastic, a lot of the time. He gave away balls, occasionally because he was inaccurate, but also because he still passes the ball in the air. Watching Arsenal play, we very rarely move the ball in the air at all, apart from the odd cross, the long hoof from defence, and obviously corners and set pieces (all of which we're crap at). When we get the ball out of defence, every single one of our players keeps the ball on the ground. Watching Chelsea play, they have more variety in this regard, having a strong frontman who's able to bring down high balls in the air - Henry, whilst I don't doubt he can do it, does not like to play this way. Very few of our players are any good at bringing down and controlling high balls (Henry can, and van Persie is excellent, although not enough of a brute to do it in a congested box), yet Hleb still supplies them. He will, as he settles in and unless we change our style, iron this aspect out of his game in due course.

sabret00the

Established Member
asajoseph said:
One thing struck me about Hleb in this game - he's clearly still very early juvenile in his period of settling into the Arsenal team.

His passing is actually fantastic, a lot of the time. He gave away balls, occasionally because he was inaccurate, but also because he still passes the ball in the air. Watching Arsenal play, we very rarely move the ball in the air at all, apart from the odd cross, the long hoof from defence, and obviously corners and set pieces (all of which we're crap at). When we get the ball out of defence, every single one of our players keeps the ball on the ground. Watching Chelsea play, they have more variety in this regard, having a strong frontman who's able to bring down high balls in the air - Henry, whilst I don't doubt he can do it, does not like to play this way. Very few of our players are any good at bringing down and controlling high balls (Henry can, and van Persie is excellent, although not enough of a brute to do it in a congested box), yet Hleb still supplies them. He will, as he settles in and unless we change our style, iron this aspect out of his game in due course.
it's funny when you read posts like this and compare them to the posts made in august. Either way, you're right, he's not yet acclimatised to our style of play. i think Wenger thought that by getting a player who likes to run with the ball it takes the pressure off of central midfield but in all honesty it ****s up the play. can hleb play arsenal style one touch football?

gstew

kamikaze80 said:
sure did. it was a routine pass by our standards, but perfectly weighted and a good decision on his part to play the one-two. hes quite a good passer on the floor when he has time to compose himself.

You are a true gentleman!!!

gstew

sabret00the said:
it's funny when you read posts like this and compare them to the posts made in august. Either way, you're right, he's not yet acclimatised to our style of play. i think Wenger thought that by getting a player who likes to run with the ball it takes the pressure off of central midfield but in all honesty it ****s up the play. can hleb play arsenal style one touch football?

I am glad we signed someone (Hleb) who has the ability to take people on and keep possession. This is crucially important when breaking down defenses designed to stymie our one touch game. I believe that once Hleb settles in he will change his natural tendency from dribble first to pass first. The Arsenal Borg will assimilate him. Then we will get the best of both worlds. In the mean time, though, he has been bogging us down quite often and this is a necessary "adjustment period" negative that we just have to live with. I'm hoping that his adjustment period is shorter than Reyes'!!

sabret00the

Established Member
gstew said:
sabret00the said:

I am glad we signed someone (Hleb) who has the ability to take people on and keep possession. This is crucially important when breaking down defenses designed to stymie our one touch game. I believe that once Hleb settles in he will change his natural tendency from dribble first to pass first. The Arsenal Borg will assimilate him. Then we will get the best of both worlds. In the mean time, though, he has been bogging us down quite often and this is a necessary "adjustment period" negative that we just have to live with. I'm hoping that his adjustment period is shorter than Reyes'!!
you're right we have needed someone like Hleb and Reyes was supposed to be it, someone who likes the ball and can keep posession. but at the same time, he's not played in a position to take advantage of those skills and ultimately the team are lost, often wondering when to move and where to move too.

whoztheman

OFF TOPIC

the former Arsenal striker almost caused some embarrassment when he picked up another ball-boy, Mark Hingley, after scoring his second goal.

For Mark, 11, from Handsworth Wood, is a Tottenham supporter! And his dad, Paul, a life-long Sp**s fan, and his two brothers, Peter and Joe, were watching the game in the away end.

Paul said: “Mark had put his Sp**s shirt on underneath to try and keep warm. When Kanu picked him up, he panicked a bit. He was worried it might come into view.

:lol: ..Legend!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002 ... 71,00.html

IBL

Established Member
lmao!!

Brilliant stuff Kanu, rubs it into their faces further without even realising it :D

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom