• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal | 25/09/04

gooner

I thought we played okay against Bolton on Saturday, except for the defending. Bolton deserved their point to be honest but it was really annoying to give a goal away in the 85th minute of the game. Cygan can’t handle physical strikers and that is a fact, and as much as I like Lehmann, I really do hope this is his last season. Two perfect players to replace them would be Robinson and King, who were both brilliant against Chelsea yesterday, although they would never come.

Anyway, this Saturday we take on man city and we seem to have a very good record against Man City away and our performance against them two seasons ago was awesome when we won 5-1. Things have changed since then as they have bought in new players and moved in to a new ground, which I personally think looks phenomenon. Just look at how many Arsenal related players they have got:

Anelka – Former gunner who left because of his immaturity at the time.

Robbie Fowler – Was a prime target for Arsène Wenger in the past.

Wright – Phillips – The son of the legend (Ian Wright).

I do like Kevin Keegan and I do think he is a good manager and he tends to get the most out of his players and he is always honest. Man City will be on a high after a much needed win against Crystal Palce.

I know people talk about Henry, Van Nistelrooy and Shearer a lot but I don’t think Anelka gets enough credit, as he deserves. He has matured a lot since his early Arsenal days when he was at his best, but I have been watching him closely recently and I must admit he has been looking very scary by the way he is so dangerous with his pace and his willingness to run at defenders and is reminding me more and more of the Anelka was at Arsenal.

Their most dangerous player in my opinion is SWP. He is just so direct, fast, Skilful and has a great footballing mind for someone so young. He tortures Ashley Cole at their Stadium last season when we beat them 2 – 1 and since then he has improved a whole lot more. This season he has provided some brilliant assists for Anelka, and has also scored some crackers himself.

Below is a list of Man City’s Key men in my opinion:

Wright Phillips – Key Man 1
Anelka + Fowler – Key Men 2
James – Key Man 3
Sibierski + Reyna + Barton – Key Men 4
Distin – Key Man 5

Below is the best team line up I would go with for this match:

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell (If Fit) Toure Cole

Ljungberg Gilberto Viera Reyes

Bergkamp Henry

Man city will desperately want to beat us because of the way we have tortured them for the last few seasons and they will really be up for it and will want to learn from their mistakes and they are already looking forward to it according to quotes from Keegan. That is why I am guessing that this will be a very close, tight match. At the end of the day the team that want it more will win and hopefully that will be Arsenal.

Mark

Established Member
Good preview, gooner. This will be a tough one with some of the dangerous players they have on display, but I would expect us to win anyway. I would go with this team:

Lehmann

Lauren Toure Sol Cole

Pennant Vieira Edu Freddie

Bergkamp Henry

Subs: 1. Reyes 2. Pires 3. Clichy 4. Gilberto 5. Cygan

Reyes and Pires have not looked too good in our last couple of games, so a rest may be in order. Would also like Edu to get some match fitness. We missed Bergy against Bolton, so I hope he starts. Would also like Pennant to have another go. I predict a 2-0 win for the Gunners with Bergy and Edu scoring.

flotz

mark i agree with your line up i think bergkamp will play because he cant play in midweek in the champions league
so lets give a break to pires and reyes (or maybe henry)
after an international break i expect us to play crap but after a week rest i think we will tear city apart
i say 5-1

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nice preview gooner. The team I would like is:

Lehmann
Lauren Sol Kolo Ashley
Pennant Vieira Fabregas Freddie
Henry Bergkamp

Subs: 1)Almunia 2)Gilberto 3)RvP 4)Senderos 5)Pires

I would rest Gilberto and Pires because Pires looks jaded, and Gilberto looks tired and deserves his rest for previous displays. Fabregas to come in to pull apart Man City's defence, and Reyes out becasue Bergkamp will not play in the CL so keep Reyes ready. RvP on the bench to come on in the second half as the team is back to full strength and he can be risked against a supposedly weaker team. Senderos on the bench instead of Cygan as Senderos can be played now that Sol is back. He will have a keader next to him and Sol will help him ease in. Cygan played before as there was no leader to help Senderos in. Hoyte also was on the banch as he was more versatile, but now Sol is back we will not need Hoyte to play in the middle as he will help Senderos into the team.

Canuck

Established Member
Should be a good match, and hopefully our boys will be up to the task after two shakey performances. Anelka and SWP will of course be the danger men up front with both of them capable of flashes of brilliance. The defence will have to be on their toes for this one. The biggest question is which City team will show up. With their inconsistent form I wouldn't say their win this weekend will be that much of a confidence booster. I would really like to see Edu get some time in this game, as well as RVP since he had such an excellent run out in the reserve match with 2 goals.

velimir85

I think we really need three points,because of the team's self-confidence.It's not easy when you play well and then get just a draw at home. :x
And about goalkeepers and defenders,Hildebrand is good,but I think Frey is not what he used to be...just look at this season performances...bad...
Defenders- I think that Arsenal needs a defender with Serie A experience,because football there is by far toughest in challenges- if you make it there,you'll make it anywhere...Cannavaro maybe...

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
TBH though Bolton deserved their point but the manner in which they got it annoys me the most.

quattro

hopefully campbell will be back. cygan is sub, and we really can't ask much more of him. looking back at the bolton game, i just want to say that every football match is a clash of TWO teams. there's a reason why bolton are so high up in the table these days and its not just because teams like us, united and liverpool are giving them everything. credit where credit is due.

saw the city's last game against palace and they could've easily scored more. however this is palace and their defence isn't really the strongest. the same can be said of city's defence. this match will be good for us in tempering what has basically still been a poor defensive record for arsenal this season. the likes of anelka and swp are no slouches, but the return of sol campbell against some worthy opposition would give us a glimpse of any further deficiencies we could possibly suffer. that, and how much wenger has tended to our "naive" defence. im sure they will do a great job there seeing as we DID have the best defence last season. our attack is always deadly, and there is no doubt that we can score so the thing i would most like to observe in this game is some improvement on defence which im confident they'll deliver.

brianfrance

Established Member
Anelka...mmm...will be a special match for him - we all know Domenech will see the match; Anelka HAS to shine. We should take care
My XI
Jens
Lauren Sol Kolo Ash
Freddie Edu Viera Reyes
Bergkamp RvP

DaViEsW

Ahhh, Man City. I like to relate to them as a Tap, as they seem to blow hot and cold, but they dont seem to know what game to do what in.

Lehmann
Lauren - Sol - Kolo - Cole
Freddie - Fabregas - Vieira (c) - Reyes
Henry - RVP

Almunia
Cygan
Pennant
Gilberto
Bergkamp

2-1 win I think.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
No point in resting Bergy Dave as he won't play in midweek away in the CL so it would seem better to rest Reyes and put RvP on the wing with Bergy up front.

jeromelee

Well frankly, the one player I wanna see most in this game is gonna be Sol.

It's going to be a great game. Time to exploit Danny Mill's again ahahha

Gunner4life09

i think we shouldn't over-use sol, we should just let him play for 45-60minutes and then take him off, we'll need him more for the midweek game, he's just come back we don't want to lose him again.

Ridge

Re: Manchester City V Arsenal

gooner said:
Two perfect players to replace them would be Robinson and King, who were both brilliant against Chelsea yesterday, although they would never come.
never say never. perfect example: Sol Campbell. :D

frankly, i ll be bloody pissed if i see Gilberto on the first team again. i m not bashing him, i just think that he really really really needs to rest.

jens
lauren sol kolo cole
pennant edu vieira freddie
bergy henry

i would love to see Cesc but i think if its not Gilberto to partner Vieira this match, it would be Edu. and about Pennant, i m not sure whether he would be given his chance.

well, hope we do well this game. especially the defence. go Gunners!

lewdikris

Established Member
I'd like to see Van Persie get on the pitch at some point - his goals last night for the reserves were brilliant. It must be about time to unleash the fourth part of our artillery.

Sol will play, i'm pretty sure. Wenger was unhappy with the lack of communication last week - and rightly so.

Dennis may as well start this one with Jose on the bench. He can't play Wednesday...

Edu should not start. He's been totally ineffective in his two appearances this season - I thought he was dismal on Saturday.

So my team is:

Lehmann

Lauren Sol Kolo Ash

Freddie Silva Paddy Bobby

Dennis Henry

Subs: Almunia, Cygan, Cesc, Reyes, Van Persie

afrodizzy

My team to face Manchester City will be as follows:

Lehman

Lauren Kolo Sol Ashley

Freddy Paddy Cesc Pires

Dennis Henry

I would drop Gilberto in favour of Cesc I still believe he is in top form, & I would substitute him with Edu in the second half just to give him a breather. Gilberto should be rested for the CL game against Rosenburg. I would also rest Reyes as well & opt for Dennis as he wont travel for the Rosenburg game. I'm also in favour of giving Van Persie a game later on the second half for Pires.

We should be better defensivley I still believe Paddy is yet to discover his best form. Cesc will be creative supplying Henry & Dennis the needed passes to create goals.

I predict a comfortable 2-0

Soler

Established Member

Ridge said:
frankly, i ll be bloody pissed if i see Gilberto on the first team again. i m not bashing him, i just think that he really really really needs to rest.

Seven days in between matches is enough, don't you think?

Lehmann
Lauren Toure Campbell Cole
Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires
Bergkamp Henry

SUBS: Almunia Cygan Cesc Reyes van Persie

Feis-al

Lehman

Lauren Kolo Sol-MAN Cole

Freddie Paddy Cesc Boby

Bergy
Henry

Subs 1-Al 2-RvP 3-Edu for Cesc 4- Pennant 5- Flamini 6- Cygan

People are wondering about the Paddy-Cesc game but these guys played together last season either against Wolves or some other team in the FA or Carling. I therefore believe having experience on the left is vital if we are going to tame SWP. He is playing like a possesed guy and I would warn Cole on his being adventurous unless it's really important. That squad can lead to 4/5-0 scoreline

Gurgen

Established Member

Mad Jens said:
Lehmann
Lauren Toure Campbell Cole
Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires
Bergkamp Henry

SUBS: Almunia Cygan Cesc Reyes van Persie

Think that's going to be the lineup too.

Arsenal Quotes

I've got the best goalkeeper and the best centre half. All I need are the best wingers and the best forward. It doesnt matter what the rest are like.

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom