• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Newcastle United vs Arsenal | 10/12/05

OneProudGooner

Established Member
I couldn't bare to watch the highlights because ofthe amount of times I've seen us lose this season and play with no heart and fight like I'm so used to watching. I said we couldn't afford to lose anymore games after we lost 2 early on, we lost 3 soon after more making 5 after almost half way through the season. We definitely miss something in Central midfield the sooner the January window comes the better but if I'm left disappointed that we've made no signings by February because he won't sign anyone for the sake of it then my god this season will be unbearable, however I will always be a Gooner and hope for the best.

The Ref from what I heard on the radio should of at least booked shearer early on or even sent him off if Gilberto can get sent off so harshly but probably rightly, the last time I got totally pissed off with a Ref was last year at Old Trafford with Mike Rileys' 'performance' it looks like we have a band of **** refs in the top league in England and that's not right. I've even seen linesmen with incidents happening right infront of them that do **** all and just go about their job like nothing happened.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Our performance today was much better than some of the performances during the year. I was ecstatic to see the back four that walked out yesterday, and hope Wenger sticks with this line-up until Ashley or Gael comes back.

It feels so cheap bagging a referee, but Dermot Gallagher was horrendous. The inconsistancy was so great between both teams that it felt as though no matter what a Newcastle player did, he was never going to get sent off. Gilberto made 3 fouls all game, and he got two yellows. I concede that the first may have been a yellow card offence, but the second was no where close to one. And as has been mentioned in here already, Shearer got away with a lot more, especially walking away yellow-less from the challenge against Sol.

We looked good in the first half. Given pulled off an amazing save to stop Henry from putting us 1-up. We moved the ball quickly, and got into some good positions but lacked the killer touch. I was content with our performance and thought we looked like scoring even with 10 men.

But despite our bad form, I don't see why people are thinking we may even fail to qualify for the Champions League this season. We aren't even half way through the season and are only 5pts away from 2nd.

As for all the Henry is a **** captain comments, I like to ignore them as I think they're rubbish. Some for the Wenger being sacked comments. I'll save my thoughts on next weeks game for the Chelsea thread.

qs

Established Member
Today wasnt an example of Henrys leadership problms, he was fine today. Agsainst Bolton however he completley let his head drop and gave up. That along woth his public criticisms are why I have a problem with his captaincy. Its a small gripe as his performances have still been excellent overall but I dont believe he is beyond criticism.

phenn

pha2er said:
Let's face it, we are in a hell of a lot better shape than Manure.
how on earth did you come to that conclusion? if man utd played us today they would have won. easily.

i pity all those 'lucky' enough to have a ticket for the chelsea game next week, at least us tv fans can switch off when the 4th goal goes in.

WELLLLL let's think. Man Utd are in a load of debt, out of europe, and don't have as much young talent as we do (in my opinion). Where do you see them drastically improving in the near future? They're obviously not good enough right now. I really don't think they're going to have very much transfer money with the Glazers, especially after going out of Europe so early this year.

On the other hand we do have transfer money because Wenger has been saving. We do have some exceptional youngsters, and even with 1/3 of them pan out we are in business. I still think this team is one or two players away from challenging Chelsea next year.

If we hang on and get a CL spot this year we're just fine. I still say long-term we are in much better shape than manure.

qs

Established Member
phenn said:
pha2er said:
Let's face it, we are in a hell of a lot better shape than Manure.
how on earth did you come to that conclusion? if man utd played us today they would have won. easily.

i pity all those 'lucky' enough to have a ticket for the chelsea game next week, at least us tv fans can switch off when the 4th goal goes in.

WELLLLL let's think. Man Utd are in a load of debt, out of europe, and don't have as much young talent as we do (in my opinion). Where do you see them drastically improving in the near future? They're obviously not good enough right now. I really don't think they're going to have very much transfer money with the Glazers, especially after going out of Europe so early this year.

On the other hand we do have transfer money because Wenger has been saving. We do have some exceptional youngsters, and even with 1/3 of them pan out we are in business. I still think this team is one or two players away from challenging Chelsea next year.

If we hang on and get a CL spot this year we're just fine. I still say long-term we are in much better shape than manure.

After today we are in no better a position than them. They are out of Europe but they can still claim to be in witha PL chance(we'd be saying it if we hadnt lost ourr last 2 games). Their youth is debatable. Rooneys still young, as is Cronaldo, none of their defense is all that old, Smiths young and developing. Bar Giggs and Scholes they arent in desperate need of replacements. If they get DeJong they'll be fine. They are financially stable, the clubs not in debt, its owner owes money on it thats all.

Personally I think we've a brighter future but you'll find very few ManU fans who'd agree, naturally.

tbbosa

There were some of the worst decisions I have ever seen made by a Ref. :evil:
We need Diop or Zokora in the midfield. This loss could help Wenger realize that we need to strengthen sooner than later (January??).
Henry is still pissed that we did not improve the team, actually most senior players (bar Cygan) are pissed at lack of signings, same issue Vieira had complained about.
We can only get better, and we did not play that bad, as people here would make you believe. You win some, you loose some!! We at least have a new stadium to look forward to, and am sure we shall finish in top 3.

Gooner_Girl

The ref was **** yesterday. Gilberto should have never saw red. We had our chances but didn't take them, title race is over for us 17 points behind i think, can't catch chavski.

A

Anonymous

the ref was an idiot. but to be honest, i don't think we created enough. We were outmuscled yet again. Wenger made some very strange decisions. Taking out best player off (hleb) and putting on flamini, when we needed a goal???? :shock:

Killer7

More doomsayers FFS.

Did people not actually watch the 1st half yesterday?

We FINALLY started playing like the Arsenal.

AWAY FROM HOME.

The defence was solid.

Going forward the old magic started to appear.

AWAY FROM HOME.

The start of the second half Newcasle came at us. Big deal - it's a footie match and the defence handled it. Owen - where was he? Shearer - too busy fouling to play.

Silva gets sent off.

And we STILL are playing. No heads dropped. No dissapearence of bollocks. We carried on playing.

AWAY FROM HOME.

Ref was ****ing ****e and, as any team would, Arsenal got frustrated. But we STILL tried to play the game.

AWAY FROM HOME.

They score.

Panic. Long balls. Game over.

**** me, play like we did in the first half against Chelsea at Highbury and they've no chance.

Sell Henry? Sack Wenger? Buy players? Rubbish.

air

Killer7, I agree, but for me the main point was that we failed to convert on all the pressure we had in the first half.

Killer7

Yes, agreed.

One great save.

One miskewed sidefoot.

One nancying around 'look at me'

One skewed shot from the first choice player the ball should fall to

=

No goals.

BUT oh-so-easily 'fixable'

The Premier

qs said:
They are financially stable, the clubs not in debt, its owner owes money on it thats all.

Just to clear up a misconception - the club is in debt, not the Glazers - he transferred the debt onto the club when he took it private. If I had my way, I'd like to see them relegated this year, so that Glazer is forced out. JMO.

patrick42uk

Established Member
this was one of rvp's best non-goalscoring performances in an arsenal shirt. i'v always felt he had it in him to play our football because he is so technically gifted. hope to see more performances like that to go wwith the goals that will inevitably come and we will be talking about a top striker.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Yeah, Robin is going to be a sensational player for Arsenal. Everytime I see him on the ball, I feel as though no one can get it off him.

So beautiful to see him with the ball at his feet.

James

Established Member
Last night hurt alot more than Bolton did last week, mainly because we deserved something out of the game yesterday. First half, we could have been 2 or 3 up if it wasn't for Henry and Given. What is it with Henry recently. He's always been confident in his own ability, but of late, that has turned into arrogance. Wenger has put himself in a dodgy situation in appointing Thierry captain. It obviously isn't working, especially away from home where we have absolutely no drive or determination. We need a new captain, and in my opinion that should be Sol or Kolo.

Senderos was brilliant yesterday. Won every tackle he was commited to, and made some great interceptions. Had a huge physical presence against Shearer. In fact, the whole of our defence played well i thought. Kept Owen very quiet, and dealt with alot of high, long balls from one of the worst Newcastle sides i've ever seen. Toure was excellent at right back. He's got so much drive and pace going forward that he doesn't get to show at centre back, but i'm a fan of Lauren's too. I won't be too disappointed if we end up selling Cole to Madrid, and have Clichy, Senderos, Campbell, Toure and Lauren as our options at the back. Another centre back wouldn't go a miss either.

RVP was very disappointing against a weak defence, and Ljungberg and Hleb went missing in the second half. Fabregas again tried controlling the midfield by himself, and that became impossible when we went down to ten men and when Newcastle got the better of the game.

Dermot Gallagher was a joke. He succumbed to the moaning of the geordies, and sent Bert off for two fouls that didnt deserve yellows. Ramage and Faye made worse tackles and stayed on the field. And as for Alan Shearer, the guy's talented, but what a dirty ****. I don't know why he needs to do it. Throwing Lauren on the floor after some guilty obstruction on his part was unecessary, and his elbow on Senderos (i think it was) deserved a straight red.

I'll have to see the highlights tonight, it's hard to tell anything from the top of that subbeuto stand. Our support yesterday was very good, compared to the scots who did nothing until they scored. They came out of that ground afterwards with a great deal of arrogance and tried being intimidating to our lot as we came out. Few Gooners by me though looked really up for starting something.

Viper

Established Member
Wenger says: 'If Gilberto deserved red card then I need to re-adjust my eyes'

Sounds a bit like Mourinho! :lol:

sabret00the

Established Member
James said:
RVP was very disappointing against a weak defence
that was my opinion, contradictory of patrick's. i thought he failes to really get to grips with the match and most times the football was played around him.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom