• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Southampton vs Arsenal | 29/12/03

Allyboy

Established Member
Full Time 1-0 to us :D

3 points to us and probably a 3 match ban for Jens for losing it at the end lol.

Lets hope not.

Mark

Established Member
a good win. can't critisize them for being negative with the 1 goal lead today, they tried but niemi is a terrific goalkeeper. had me trembling towards the end though. :lol:

Sol man

vin de guerre said:
did he (lehman) get a red card? Cos the ref saw it and therefore if it is not a red card then who can ban him?

Did Lehmann get sent off because Alan Smith and the other commentator on sky sports said that he got a red???

SuperBob

Yeah in the end Southampton pilled on the pressure but coudn't capitalize! Good win for the Arsenal and great finish for Pires pure class all he needed was 1 touch and GOAL! :D

pome

yeah the end was a bit scary but a well deserved 3 points, hope lehman dont get a ban for throwing the ball if he does then phillips should be looked at for stamping on lehmans foot near the start!

Allyboy

Established Member
No he didnt get sent off, the whistle had already gone.

Expect the FA to haul him up for violent conduct, swearing, being abusive to the crowd, lashing out at Ruud Van Nistelrooy and failing to take a drugs test though!

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
No Jens did not get booked at all
I think he lost it as he got stamped on etc
I thought that Dennis did not have a good game nor did Freddie.
Kolo was great.
Rob and Theirry what super men

Andrew

Excellent performance. We needed quality stuff and we got it. We are always switched on in games which look dangerous. And Southampton had pretty much no chances. That back 4 is looking really good, with Toure again sensational at right back. Perhaps we should stick to the back 4 and let Lauren play in midfield?

Ratings:

Lehmann - 7 - Not much to do but saved what he had to and collected a dangerous ball right at the end. Not too good under pressure but he's probably still adjusting to that. Stupid what he did at the end.
Toure - 9 - Did everything perfect. Dribbling, tackling, passing... the lot. He really is a fine player. And at 22, who knows how good he can be?
Clichy - 8 - Didn't seem to put a foot wrong. The perfect replacement for Cole.
Cygan - 8 - Beaten for pace early on but headed and cleared everything away. Looking good again.
Campbell - 8 - Again, like Cygan... very solid.
Ljungberg - 6 - Not the best performance from him. Had a good shot brilliantly saved by Niemi but didn't contribute a whole lot.
Parlour - 8 - Did his job very well. Intercepted everything and was there helping the defence. I would love it if he were a regular.
Vieira - 9 - Some of his skill today was breathtaking. He is almost at his best. Only thing stopping him from getting a 10 is that he lost the ball a couple of times.
Pires - 8 - Always there to score a goal. He's almost our second striker really. Did well in both attack and defence.
Bergkamp - 6 - Perhaps the worst performer. Missed a sitter and was a bit off. Helped out with a few attacks though including the one leading to the goal.
Henry - 9 - At his best. Perfect assist and absolutely mesmorised the defence of Southampton. Made it look so easy as well. I'm just so glad he's an Arsenal player.

Overall, very satisfied with that performance. We are looking like Champions again. And Wenger's substitutions were far more positive than normal.

Mark

Established Member
i hope they leave it, all kinds of stupid things like this happen but they always choose to focus harder when it happens to us. it didn't affect the game, no one was hurt, just let it go.

Aussie

Established Member
good to see viera getting back to his best i thought he was very good today some of the moves he pulled of were breathtaking

Stim

I didnt see what Lehmann did at the end, care to explain anyone?

From what i saw it was a reasonable performance, helped greatly because of Southampton's failure to turn up for the match. Did just enough we the least amount of energy used to secure the points. A win that wins championships, that on another day could of been another 1-1.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
just heard ref going to put it in his report.
now will he put Phillips stamping on Jens feet in his report.
somehow I do not think so

lex

who was watching sky sports at the end when they intervied henry and pires for the man of the match award.
henry was laughing at pires becasue he couldnt speak english lol it was funny . when pire was talking henry will put his head down cover his mouth and laugh and he was very obvious at doing it .
pires english hasnt improve since 3 years he has been here or more.
but he did day THANK YOU VERY MUCH really bold at then lol
i suppose all footballer say that at every interview lol
it was funny if anyone saw it

SuperBob

I thought Edu when he came on played really well! passed the ball well on the ground I can only recall 1 mistake I think he should be playing in the middle with Vieria without a doubt!

Andrew

AndrewPires said:
I thought Edu when he came on played really well! passed the ball well on the ground I can only recall 1 mistake I think he should be playing in the middle with Vieria without a doubt!

Parlour was terrific today I thought. Edu this season has also played very well when called upon. Unfortunately the same can't be said about Gilberto. Now I'm not a critciser of Gilberto, but I think on form this season he has been third best out of those 3.

flotz

thats how we need to defend at the end!!
defend far from the goal and give the ball to thierry :)
andrew>
i agree with most of your ratings but i dont think ljungberg was that bad ...he was good helped the defense and for once our attacking game wasnt mainly from the left but the majority came from the right including the goal ...toure is making the right flank much stronger...
i would have give toure 10. he is just fantastic!! he and thierry are fighthing for player of the year so far...i dont think anyone got past him once and he showed some great skills too!
we have found our new tony adams/lee dixon in one man!! ;D

flotz

just wanted to add that pires helped a lot the defense today!
just great team performance

JazzG

Established Member
Well I must say I'm very suprised. I didn't realise this match would be so easy. Talk about total domination, the way we controlled the match was impressive, Southampton were rubbish though. Even 1-0 down they just kept defending.....

Brilliant goal by the Arsenal. What a pass by King Henry, the amount of assists he gets is scary. Bergkamp was the master at playing those kind of passes and it looks like it has rubbed off on Henry. Superb pass and lovely finish. In the FA cup final Beattie was '0wned' by Luzhny and today by Cygan hehehe :p

Toure is quickly become one of the best players around imo. When he played as our CB he was probably the best CB along with Silvestre this season, when he has played RB he has probably been the best RB around. The runs he makes are superb, today he was skinning those southampton players left right and centre Also how good is Clichy eh? Only cost 250k and is only 18 years old. Another super buy on the cheap from Arsène, no one is better than him in the transfer market imo.

Good 3 points for us. Here are my player ratings

Lehmann - 7 - Had nothing to do, I should give him a 10 for throwing the ball at Phillips head :lol:
Toure - 8 - He is so good as a RB I don't want him to move back to CB! Skinned so many southampton players :D
Clichy - 8 - Thought I was watching Cole at his very best at times, how good is he for an 18 year old.
Cygan - 8 - Good performance, some said he wasn't strong enough but he dominated a strong player in Beattie today
Campbell - 8 - Same as Cygan really, solid.
Ljungberg - 7 - Worked his ass off today, had a good shot saved by Niemi.
Parlour - 7.5 - Solid performance from Ray, if Wenger drops him for Gilberto after this performance I will be seriously pissed off.
Vieira - 8 - Solid performance. Some had a right go at him after the Leicester game. Some said drop him afte, if any of those lot watched him today I'd like an apology. I said he needed games and today he was superb. Showed some superb skill, the way he flicks the ball over the other players is amazing. He looks like he will back to his best soon.
Pires - 8.5 - Solid performance, looked on top form and was always helping in defense which really pleased me. Man of the match imo
Bergkamp - 5 - Very disappointing performance today from the dutch master
Henry - 8 - Looked in decent form, no way near his best but still enough to give the Southampton defense problems

I wouldn't say anyone was outstanding, just very solid performances from most today.

Stim said:
I didnt see what Lehmann did at the end, care to explain anyone?

After the final wistle Phillips was walking away from him and he threw the ball at his head :D

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom