• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - CL: Dinamo Zagreb vs Arsenal | 08/08/06

bigtimetopbanana

i think you guys totally overrated Djourou's performance. He was badly turned, and caught off guard several times. One saving fantastic tackle came from his own mistake. No better than a 6.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Yeah, you're right, first Champions League start, in the first competitive game of the season, and he kept a clean sheet away from home. Terrible.

I've changed my mind- Djourou- 4....

:roll:

s_rishi1

Almunia - 6
Eboue - 6
Toure - 7
Djourou - 7.5
Hoyte - 5
Gilberto - 7
Hleb - 8.5
Fabregas - 9.5 - MOTM
Rosicky - 7
V.Persie - 7.5
Adebayor - 8.5

Hoyte really looks rubbish. Djourou was magnificent for a youngster. I would say that was Hleb's best performance for the club since the first few matches last season.

Also, it was nice to see Cesc getting forward a lot more than he ever has, rather than simply sitting back. It shows that he has fantastic attacking ability which needs to be exploited, and I believe having Rosicky and Gilberto alongside him, two players who tend to sit back and orchestrate the play with more direct passes rather than getting in the box, allowed him to exploit this ability fully last night.

Canuck

Established Member
pg1989 said:
The Zagreb players were diving all over the place especially that Etto on Hoyte.

This post contributed nothing to the player rating thread, and out of the hundreds of people who've commented on the match, you're the first person I've seen who's made this assertion.

Harding

the most annoying and awful thing about an arsenal champions league game once again was the pro evolution soccer style comentry from the brainless David Pleate. The man waffles on about random stuff, did anyone hear him when he refered to last seasons home kit as a "cherry" colour lol what a plonker!

David Pleate- 3

JMT

Fab Scored...doesnt mean he was man of the match though. just watched the higlights again... i would have to say Hleb was the motm, watch his movement off the ball...everytime he has ithe always looked forward, nice through balls. and 3 assists... Great.

otfgoon

Established Member
Harding said:
David Pleate- 3

your being kind to be honest.

I am a little surprised that RvP is getting such high rating from people here. He is capable of so much more than he showed last night, fair enough if people are taking fitness into account.

Peanuts

o ye and i think that djorou is a much better prospect then senderos. if senderos was playin they would have scored when djorou did that good tackle. senderos is so slow

bobbydazzler

Peanuts said:
hoyte wasnt as bad as every 1 is making out, his passes were accurate and towards the end of the match he started getting forward more but he was exposed a lot defensively, also fabregas is being over rated on that match ive seen him play much better the only difference is he had like 3 shots and scored 2 if he jus scored 1 kno 1 would be sayin that was an amazing performance,. i kno he is good but ive seen him play better

How can you say fabregas is being overated. if he only had 3 shots and converted two of them then it shows that he doesn't waste them, also aresnal didn't have that many shots overall. fabregas may have played better on other occasions but this is only the start of the seasion, he has shown that he now has strength and can also get into the right positions. Also hoyte was dreadful he was caught out off position too many times.

bobbydazzler

Peanuts said:
o ye and i think that djorou is a much better prospect then senderos. if senderos was playin they would have scored when djorou did that good tackle. senderos is so slow
and your basing this on one appearence. I agree djourou looks to be a great prospect but so is senderos. Terry is slow but has developed into a great defender

Viper

Established Member
Harding said:
the most annoying and awful thing about an arsenal champions league game once again was the pro evolution soccer style comentry from the brainless David Pleate. The man waffles on about random stuff, did anyone hear him when he refered to last seasons home kit as a "cherry" colour lol what a plonker!

David Pleate- 3
The colour of the cherry looks a lot like the maroon/burgandy/redcurrent on the Arsenal shirt.

cherry.red.jpg

David Pleat 1-0 Harding.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Almunia - 7
Doing fine.

Hoyte - 6
Looked nervous in some occasions. In one occasion he exchanged excessively high passes with Djourou. When the ball flying in the air, the time allowed Zagreb players to close Hoyte down and made him panic a bit. When oppoenents did wall-passing and flicked the ball behind Justin, he couldn't either get the ball or hold of the track the running attacker. A basic defensive sense. Fortunately no goals were conceded despite some scares. To be fair Hoyte gradually got into the games, though not totally convincing. I think, the 3-goal lead alos allowed Arsène to let Justin stay on the pitch to continue his learning. I hope Justin can continute to progress.

Eboue - 6
Really dissapointed by his display. Apparently he was confused by Ade/Robin's frequently shifting to the right flank. He looked like he didn't know what to do, not even a simple overlapping run. Also being laxed and careless in ball handling and positional sense in defense. In the second half, Eboue's confidence gained gradually and started going forward.

Kolo - 8
Solid as usual.

Djourou - 7
Considering his first European debut. He did well.

Cesc - 10
MoM.

Gilberto -8
Solid.

Rosicky - 6.5

Hleb - 8
Creative and worked hard.

Ade - 7
Worked very hard even without possession. Impressive display on applying pressure on opponent's back five.

Robin - 8
Looks like he is stepping into Bergy's shoe. Great performance.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Viper said:
Harding said:

David Pleate- 3
The colour of the cherry looks a lot like the maroon/burgandy/redcurrent on the Arsenal shirt.

cherry.red.jpg

David Pleat 1-0 Harding.
I remember that part. But you make it sounds more funny. :D :D :D

osugunner

This might be alittle off topic but I have to say having to play these qualifiers before the season may actually be a good thing. They will put us a step ahead of the competition. Come time for Villa, the guys will be inching closer to form than the rest of the league. Not to mention that we've looked surprisingly on form this preseason. Hleb, Cesc, RvP, Toure seem to have not lost a step, this can only mean good things. And we all know a good start to this season will do leaps and bounds for our confidence and outlook for the rest of the year.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Just rewatched the game. its interesting to note that our midfield have no real fixed position. they were switching around all times within cesc, rosicky, and hleb. all 3 were very creative and i feel that we will get alot of goals out of their creativity. gilberto, as usual, calm and composed with same brazilian samba. i loved it when he intercepts opponents attacks.

our forward line is very interesting. rvp very direct, while our dear ade is playing deep. i would appreciate if he can improve his control a little. i can see that his finishing and his game is improving while he looks very agile.

our defence is phenomenal. many of you criticised hoyte. for me he did well considering etto was so darn fast, modric was attacking the right flank all the time. dinamo right is very strong. their left is always numb in attack as eboue is too fast for them. eboue can lose the ball 3 times and yet make 3 very good recovery tackles. djourou, for me given time will be better than big phil. his interceptions, tackles, reading of games is fantastic. plus he is quite big and good on headers. toure, as usual solid as ever.

its interesting to note as well that this team is taking lotsa long shots compared to the past. we really saw a very much changed team in zagreb. they are punting alot of long balls up as well and its nice to see us puting lotsa high crosses into the box for ade. he won quite a few long ball's headers. our formation, from a 4-4-2, have pretty much changed ito a 4-1-3-2. our team tactics, from only passing quick and trying to pass through to the net, have become much more flexible, long balls, high crosses, short and quick pass. we got almost everything. i would like to think as well that our team will be strong away this season.

therefore the ratings.

Almunia 7 - solid, nothing much to do except some long shot saves.

Hoyte 6 - his debut, did quite ok.

Djourou 7 - good game

Toure 7 - solid as ever

Eboue 7 - loved his recovery tackles, make our right hand side very solid

Gilberto 7 - cleaning up "rubbish" is his forte surely

Hleb 8 - did very well, one of his best performance with 2 great assist. passing could be much improve in the first half

Rosicky 7.5 - i tell you what, he could be one of the best buys of the season. he fitted into the team like he has played with them all year long. very adapt. good 1-2s, very direct.

Cesc 9 - nothing short of spectacular. nuff said

RVP 7.5 - scored a good goal, very direct.

Ade 7 - much improved. nice to see.

Almunia-7
Good Job

Hoyte-7
He was a bit shocked because it was hi first game but he didn't play bad(He totally stopped Etto)

Toure-7,5
He played very well,as usual.

Djorou-7
Good game

Eboue-6,5
A bit under his overall performances,but not so bad.

Fabregas-9
Great game,2 goals,1assist(Man of the match).

Gilberto-7
Average play.

Rosicky-7
Good game for a debut.

Hleb-7,5
Assist and good game

Van Persie-7,5
1 goal and 1 assist and he did a great job

Adebayor-6,5
I think he could play a little better

Jameel46

Established Member
people are being a bit hard on hoyte, he didn't have the best game for arsenal but dinamo zagreb's right-side is their strongest and they mostly attacked from that side.

i was impressed with hleb the most, played well throughout the whole match and if it wasn't for fabregas' brilliant performance than he would have been MOTM.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom