• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - CL: Real Madrid vs Arsenal | 21/02/06

Captain

Established Member
pha2er said:
however, reyes did look for the freekicks - he continually tried to knock the ball past cicinho and then just run into him, and it doesn't wash with me.

i wouldn't say he never beats his man, but he didnt skin cicinho all night.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, but on this forum suddenly it's a Reyes bashing. Some of you guys have some serious issues.

Look back at my initial point about five posts up and see if i was 'bashing' Reyes.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Captain said:
Sammer said:
Captain said:
The problem with Reyes was that he couldn't seem to beat a defender all night long;

Did you actually watch the game :shock:

Yep and I still stand by that comment. He would get the ball, hold it up, slide it into space and then dive for the foul. I don't call that beating a man myself.

(obviously he beat them a few times, but it wasn't lik he was gliding past for fun)

agree. i know people will point out that cicinho fouled him but whats so special about reyes that he is the only dribbler that falls over everytime he beats a man? are people going to seriously suggest he gets more cynical fouls than say ronaldinho or robben or messi? those three dont even give defenders the chance to foul them half the time. with a dribler out there, we would have scored more but i guess considering the quality of the squad now, 1-0 is a great result.

i aint going to lie, i see a lot of inflated ratings here but i'm glad of its cause i.e the feel-good factor. the unfortunatte thing is that when we lose our next game, people will go over the top with the negative ratings then too.

kanooo

Oh well.

Seems so fun to post while we're winning, isn't it? :wink:

I won't rate anyone as I still feel everyone gave their best or as good as they have.

Lehman didn't have much to do but did well enough.

Toure didn't put a foot wrong. Senderos is learning.

Flamini did his best at his unfamilier position.

Eboue owned Robinho.

Gilberto, Hleb & Fabregas were superb in midfield.

Reyes gave Cicinho a lesson. Ljungberg did considerably well.

Henry. Well, you guys have said enough.

Well done Arsenal. Well done, Arsène Wenger !!!

Hope that we can touch up more on the finishing (did I really need to stress that?) in the return leg.

And .... finally get our season back on track ...

Legend#1

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
Captain said:
Sammer said:
Captain said:
The problem with Reyes was that he couldn't seem to beat a defender all night long;

Did you actually watch the game :shock:

Yep and I still stand by that comment. He would get the ball, hold it up, slide it into space and then dive for the foul. I don't call that beating a man myself.

(obviously he beat them a few times, but it wasn't lik he was gliding past for fun)

agree. i know people will point out that cicinho fouled him but whats so special about reyes that he is the only dribbler that falls over everytime he beats a man? are people going to seriously suggest he gets more cynical fouls than say ronaldinho or robben or messi? those three dont even give defenders the chance to foul them half the time. with a dribler out there, we would have scored more but i guess considering the quality of the squad now, 1-0 is a great result.

i aint going to lie, i see a lot of inflated ratings here but i'm glad of its cause i.e the feel-good factor. the unfortunatte thing is that when we lose our next game, people will go over the top with the negative ratings then too.

Who's going over the top, the team played brilliantly, collectively and as a unit, so they deserve high ratings, i'm not 1 to get carried away because Blackburn will be tough, but we justbeat Real at the Bernabeu with 3 1st choice defenders out, 2 attackers out and a DM at LB, and could have won by 3-4.. If that doesn't deserve a high rating, nothing does.

Though, tbh, Patrick is Misuer. Negative, so at least you're not out of character.

Reyes won a lot of fouls, yes, he got taken out a lot, yes, but he also beat his man a lot and was cynically taken out, but I forgot, this is Reyes and he's not allowed to be cynaically taken out, he must be just like Ronaldinho.

Sammer

Established Member
This is a useless discussion.

Reyes had a good game. He should have scored, just like Freddie.

Reyes beat his man more times than Hleb, who went more diagonal ways to pass the ball (and he did that quite well too).

What does Reyes have to to do get some appreciation from some of you fellas?

He sure wasn´t MOTM, but to compare him with Ronaldinho (PATRICK42UK)...and to complain that he doesn´t do as well...well, I have no words for that.

patrick42uk

Established Member
legend, i'd like to think i'm being realistic but you can hold any opinion of me you like.

when reyes plays well, i recognise it. i cannot see a good performance and come on here criticising it, i love football too much. but again each to his own. i'v just excercised my right to give my opinion.

and i think the ronaldinho (robben and messi) comparisons are very valid here. completing a dribble involves staying on your feet. yesterday, i dont even feel cicinho had to be cynical. reyes made it easy for him, looking to be fouled. i especially picked ronaldinho because with him, defenders come into the game with their mind set on cynically bringing him down. not just individuallly but in gangs. same with kaka, same with even wright-phillips. but these guys stay on their feet. the falling over thing has been a constant the whole time he has been here.

mungooner

some idiot is saying that cicnho had reyes in his pocket. **** off and learn about football, then you might see that reyes was better than a 6. He wrapped up the gae for us, by pissing off the real players, wasting time, taking advantage of the **** ref, etc.

hujja

Established Member
Can we stop with the Reyes-bashing please?

Whatever diving and other nonsense that he apparently did in the match was done for the good of his team.

End of!

raphael_as

hujja said:
Can we stop with the Reyes-bashing please?

Whatever diving and other nonsense that he apparently did in the match was done for the good of his team.

End of!
Still wish he wouldn't do it and just stay on his feet. Quite apart from my distaste for diving, I feel that a lot of potentially good situations are wasted - obviously you can't really tell if a free-kick or the open play would be more valuable, but I think it runs counter to the way that Arsenal like to play the game.

sabret00the

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
legend, i'd like to think i'm being realistic but you can hold any opinion of me you like.

when reyes plays well, i recognise it. i cannot see a good performance and come on here criticising it, i love football too much. but again each to his own. i'v just excercised my right to give my opinion.

and i think the ronaldinho (robben and messi) comparisons are very valid here. completing a dribble involves staying on your feet. yesterday, i dont even feel cicinho had to be cynical. reyes made it easy for him, looking to be fouled. i especially picked ronaldinho because with him, defenders come into the game with their mind set on cynically bringing him down. not just individuallly but in gangs. same with kaka, same with even wright-phillips. but these guys stay on their feet. the falling over thing has been a constant the whole time he has been here.
the difference is Spanish, it's Spanish to play for the foul, if Reyes had come over a year or two earlier, he'd live on his feet, but he's already had it bedded into him to draw every foul possible.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Cicinho had to foul Reyes , he found that out pretty early when Reyes had enough pace to cut in front of him in the first half . So every time Reyes knocked the ball past cicinho he had to foul him or he was going not going to catch him . Jose dribbles well but it is his increasing abitlity to bring others into the game with his short and long passing game that is impressive, a prime example was when he and Henry were knocking the ball to each other in the Reals half in a small space (60-70- minute mark) which created a chance for Fabregas to motor into the penalty box chip a cross over casillas head anyone coming in would have scored. He is creative and soon to be world class.

Legend#1

Established Member
celestis said:
Cicinho had to foul Reyes , he found that out pretty early when Reyes had enough pace to cut in front of him in the first half . So every time Reyes knocked the ball past cicinho he had to foul him or he was going not going to catch him . Jose dribbles well but it is his increasing abitlity to bring others into the game with his short and long passing game that is impressive, a prime example was when he and Henry were knocking the ball to each other in the Reals half in a small space (60-70- minute mark) which created a chance for Fabregas to motor into the penalty box chip a cross over casillas head anyone coming in would have scored. He is creative and soon to be world class.

I remember that.. He and Thierry were passing, then Reyes was stuck on the touchline, he just motored into the centre, leaving 2 players, 1 being Gravesen who ended up on his arse, then slid a delicious ball to Cesc, who tried to cut back to Freddie in the box, but Casillas saved.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

That was a magical passage of play and instigated by a player supposedly without a footballing brain. I cannot imagine a ronaldo or a robben doing that.

Legend#1

Established Member
celestis said:
That was a magical passage of play and instigated by a player supposedly without a footballing brain. I cannot imagine a ronaldo or a robben doing that.

Reyes is ****e cause the media have told us he was £17.5m and he isn't Ronaldinho.

Ruslan Matuzau

Thierry_henry_l4 said:
hleb played alright but his passing was awful and everytime he was running with the ball he either got tackled or gave it away and did you see when henry was in the center waiting for the ball hleb did an awful ball straight to casillas.if he did it right we would have been 2-0 up but still he played well but everyone else played amazing
....and if Henry and Freddy scored from his perfect passes, it would be 3-0 though... :wink:

patrick42uk

Established Member
celestis, his link play has improved drastically. especially this season. infact, its the link play have seen him produce that gives dispelled my worries he will never fit into our system. i think its his main strength now, the one touch two touch stuff and dribbling isnt which is why i suggested the team needs a dribbler.

Captain

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
celestis, his link play has improved drastically. especially this season. infact, its the link play have seen him produce that gives dispelled my worries he will never fit into our system. i think its his main strength now, the one touch two touch stuff and dribbling isnt which is why i suggested the team needs a dribbler.

Yeah, but you aren't allowed to criticise an area of Reyes' play because he's the most perfect player ever and it's automatically a 'Bashing'. :roll:

Legend#1

Established Member
Captain said:
patrick42uk said:

Yeah, but you aren't allowed to criticise an area of Reyes' play because he's the most perfect player ever and it's automatically a 'Bashing'. :roll:

Not at all.. I just thought the criticism of Reyes was harsh, it's like a certain group of people decided to criticise 1 player, and it happened to be Reyes.

I thought he was brilliant, so I foudn it a bit strange.. Each to their own.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom