• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal | 04/05/06

Captain

Established Member
Before sinclair makes his run, see who is marking him.

I'm not taking the piss out of song; have no problem with the kid.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
i dont know who's marking him mate...

i'm watching it again right now and it seems that sinclair was there at that spot from the beginning and so was song...

you have no problem with the kid?

well i do LOL.. just a little bit but i hope he'll get better because today was one of his better PL games than before... he resembled a gameplay a little bit like gilberto's... maybe they're from the same mould...

afterall he's still 18 eh? there's still time for improvement

Captain

Established Member
On the longer version, Sinclair is being marked by song and makes a diagonal run away from him.

I'm assuming that we were using man-marking so he was Song's man to follow. If it was a Zonal system then It was Kolo's. We use a combination of both so it's hard to say.

Anyway, doesn't matter who's fault it was really, we were shocking on set-pieces all night.

PaulDavis

Lehmann - 7

Eboue - 7.5

Toure - 6.5

Campbell - 7.5

Cole - 7

Ljungberg - 7

Song - 6

Gilberto - 7

Hleb - 7

Henry - 7.5

Van Persie - 6.5

Subs:

Fabregas - 7.5

Reyes - 7.5

Pires - 7

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Captain said:
On the longer version, Sinclair is being marked by song and makes a diagonal run away from him.

I'm assuming that we were using man-marking so he was Song's man to follow. If it was a Zonal system then It was Kolo's. We use a combination of both so it's hard to say.

Anyway, doesn't matter who's fault it was really, we were shocking on set-pieces all night.

just like earlier this season eh

adjie

Gunner4Eva said:
Jens Lehmann - 7
Probably should've done better for the City goal, but it was a difficult moment as I'm sure he wasn't 100% sure whether the player ahead of him would've taken it or not. Had to react late.

Ashley Cole - 7
Didn't jet down the left very often as we are used to seeing from him, but was still assured when in possesion. Pressured the City players well and didn't allow many crosses in when one-on-one with a defender.

Sol Campbell - 7
Still got improvement in him, but his performance today was much more convincing than the match against Sunderland. Made an awesome last ditch tackle that I could watch over and over again.

Kolo Toure - 6
Did well but should've stayed with his man at the City corner which resulted in the goal. It was his man which headered the ball into the mixer resulting in their goal. Other than that, a good performance.

Emmanuel Eboue - 7
Did well on the right and gave us his usual runs up the field. Set up Reyes for the match-winning goal and was alright defensively. Has to improve his positioning though.

Gilberto - 7
Did his job and did it well.

Alexandre Song - 7
Was a surprise inclusion for me in the midfield alongside Gilberto, but he did well. Showed us a bit more of an attacking side today and did some good things.

Aliaksandr Hleb - 7
Did some good things, but also did some bad things. Gave away a few passes, which we've come to expect. Once he eliminates this wasteful aspect of his game, will always continue to be inconsistant.

Freddie Ljungberg - 7
Added an extra attacking elemant other than Henry and van Persie and was rewarded with a goal today. A good finish, and was unlucky not to get a second. However other than that, didn't offer much.

Robin van Persie - 6
Doesn't have much of a right foot on him, and with Henry usually comandeering the left hand side of the pitch, leaves him on his weaker side a lot of the time. Probably lacking in confidence a bit, but needs to keep onside and time his runs better.

Thierry Henry - 8
Made some mezmerising runs through-out the match and you just felt he would put in a goal of the year candidate. Unfortunately it didn't happen. 9 times out of 10 when he had possession, he worried the City defence and created two goals when any other striker would've had a shot at goal.

SUBS

Francesc Fabregas - 8
As has been mentioned previously, when he came on, added another aspect to our game. Expected though seeing that Song and Gilberto are both midfielders of the defensive variety.

Jose Antonio Reyes - 8
Proved to be the match-winning substitute in the end. Scored two goals, the first being the better. Good to see an Arsenal player running into the box when so many times we see that same kind of ball run harmlessly across the goal and cleared. Should play there more often.

Robert Pires - 7
Was a part of setting up the match-winning goal goal and was ok after that.

Agree for all scores, except probably more 0.5 for Kolo and less 0.5 for RvP and Song.
Yes it was not the best from Kolo but still few important interception. For Song I just think that he needs more game to settle with his team mates. And RvP ? Well, not sure what's going on in his mind now. He better improve soon or he will be benched by Marco.

Special note regarding Reyes, I remember few interesting words here few weeks ago, "Reyes ? He was fu*king useless" :roll:

Lukazan

Established Member
Lehmann - 6.5 Made a good save but perhaps could have done better with Man City's goal. Needs to cut out the petty incidents, could very well cost us a CL final...

Eboue - 7 Brilliant. Forward charges are so valuable, especially when there is an end product like tonight.

Sol - 7 Better, although still not 100% sharp. Might have given away a penalty on another day..

Toure - 7 Brilliant. No way was that a penalty either.

Cole - 6.5 Nothing spectacular but a good comeback.

Hleb - 6.5 Decent.

Gilberto - 7 Picked up from where he left off, in a really good patch of form.

Song - 4 Sorry but he looks like a kid lost.. runs about like he has no idea what he has to do and generally just doesn't look right to me.

Ljungberg - 6 Lovely finish, it's been a long time waiting. Fought hard too.

Henry - 8 Great all night. Was screaming when he squared it to Reyes cause I felt he could of scored, but he made the right decision.

RVP - 6.5 Some great movement and unlucky not to score I felt. Just isn't getting the breaks..

Fabregas - 7 Sensational. 19 years old but has the ability to come on and change a game completely..

Pires - 6 Lovely ball for Eboue.

Reyes - 7 Good first goal, awesome second. First game upfront in AGES and he gets 2 goals.. coincidence? :p

vinny_60

lehmann- 7- shouldn't place too much blame on him for the goal, made good saves to keep us in the game imo.

eboue- 7- defensively wasn't too good but attacking-wise he was the don.

toure- 6- was ok

campbell- 7- this is the first time over about 2 years i think he played better than toure, won tackles, worked hard and looked sharp

cole- 6- he looks ok physically but doesn't have much match sharpness.

hleb- 6- a bit slow to get going today, but city did well to hassle him throughout the game

song- 5- probably one of the worst youngsters coming through from the reserves. slow on the ball and slow at picking up runners.

gilberto- 7- did well defensively, really cannot allow him to get injured or our CL triumph will be ruined.

ljungberg- 7- did well, tracked back, scored a good goal and hit the post. freddie of old.

RVP- 6- he doesn't have much strength, gets pushed off the ball very easily and rely a lot on his left foot. wasted a couple of counter attacks when henry was in the open.

henry- 8- menace. he was so good today even though he didnt score. passes were great, kept the ball well but i hate it when he tries to play his way out of trouble when in his own half.

fab- 8- he is just fab. general in midfield.

pires- 6- ok, a couple of good passes and a couple of very bad ones..

reyes- 7- apart from the two excellent finishes, didn't do much. but he did show that he can play as a striker and that he can finish.

wenger- 8- good subs and a much improved 2nd half performance. well done AW

gunnerGH

Established Member
Lehmann - 7
Eboue - 8 excellent, looks dangerous going forward!
Cole - 7 good return
Toure - 7 not as good as usual but better than sol
Campbell - 7 average
Song - 7 average
Fred - 8 looked dangerous when on ball, great finish for goal
Hleb - 7 poor passing at time the best is yet to come
Gilberto - 7 good and steady as usual
RVP - 7 poor showing never got into game
Henry - 9 always looks dangerous no matter what anybody says

Pires - 7
Reyes - 8 did well along with cesc - just fresh legs imo
Cesc - 8 did well along with rey, passing superb as usual

ucup33

Lehmann - 7 - Still manage two good saves in the match

Eboue - 8 - Very good assist, but I think he still need rest for our Champions league final

Cole - 7 - A little bit afraid on physical approach. I think it's very understandable because he wants to be in the CL Final and World Cup

Toure - 8 - Good defending again

Campbell - 8 - I think this is the better Campbell comparing when he play against Sunderland which he played really bad

Hleb - 7 - Making good turn to put arsenal out of pressure but I think he was a little bit under his form

Ljungberg - 8 - Good goal, congratulation for the goal freddie !!!

Gilberto - 8 - Excellent Devensive Midfielder. I got to say he is very important for our CL Final.

Song - 7 - Did alright but I think he still need a lot to learn

RVP - 8 - Good attempt on goal but unfortunately there was no goal for him

Henry - 9 - MOTM for me, two assist and always create danger to Manchester City defender. I wish he will play like this on our last two games.

=========

Fabregas - 8 - I wonder why wenger play two Devensive Midfield in the first half. Definitely we need this guy. He is brilliant again tonight.

Pires - 7 - Good pass to create assist from Eboue

Reyes - 9 - Effective as a substitute. Two brilliant goals

Dear Mr. Wenger. I think reyes is a striker not a left winger. At least that what I saw in this game.

Dougan17

Lehmann - 7.5 - great snap saves and saved a couple goals that alot of keepers would've let in. Not really at fault for the goal, he went down making a save because one of the man city players was trying to volley the ball as it came through.
Sol - 7.5 - played VERY well on everything except corners. Didn't communicate with Cole enough on the goal and it let sinclaire get a free header.
Eboue - 7 - did very well going forward and alright defensively, was pinching in a bit to the center and wasn't entirely mindful of some of the city runners down his wing but it didn't really cost us so I'm not worried.
Toure - 7.5 - same as Sol to be honest, some great tackles but he did poorly with aerial balls in.
Cole - 7 - looked like someone who hasn't played much in recent months for a lot of the game but was very active in the second half and did well overall I feel
Gilberto - 8 - very active, did well to break up City movements on the ground and force them to go aerially
Song - 4 - poor game from him, to be honest. He is one of the worst passers we have in the first team, he passed to blue shirts at least eight times by my count completely screwing up all our moves in the first half.
Hleb - 6.5 - did well overall but could've penetrated more I feel, still had some problems with his passing and his dribbling wasn't up to his usual standard
Freddie - 7 - overall did well, good on the goal, but went missing for much of the game.
Henry - 9 - did well on the ball, looked a little sluggish and could've taken some more risks and with his talent gotten a goal but his assists were superb
Reyes - 8 - came on and played well, got his two goals and showed that he could really push for that SS position ahead of RVP is he wasn't our best LMF atm.
Fabregas - 8.5 - what can you say? came on and instantly opened everything up and did very well throughout the game. I think song's dreadful game made him look better as City didn't adjust to the more direct and talented Fabregas.
RVP - 6.5 - did some good things and had good positioning but still chokes a bit. His touch is still heavy but he's got potential, just needs a good run to really show what he's got.
Pires - 7.5 - came on and did well overall, very professional job and showed that he's still valuable as a sub and his pass was very nice.

tgr

lehmann 8.5 for those great saves
eboue 6.5 too many corners and a wonderful assist
toure 6
campbell 6 improved a lot
cole 7 defend well
hleb 7
gilberto 6
song 4
ljungberg 8
v.pesie 5.5
henry 8

subs:
cesc 8
reyes 10
pires 7

GunneDown

i just got the feeling in this game that RVP is SOO slow... Everytime he had the ball i just wanted him to pass it... The boy has talent but i don't think he is the right player for arsenals style.

Gurgen

Established Member
Jens 6 - Mad Jens from start to finish, and dropped a few crosses as well. Not his best.

Eboue 8 - Set up the second goal, but should get forward more. A lot of times he just passes it to Hleb, while he has the ability to beat his man on the outside with ease.

Toure 7 - Solid.

Campbell 7 - Started well, then started playing like the Sunderland Sol again. Recovered brilliantly in the second half, even dominating in the air!

Cole 7 - Good second half, looked rusty in the first.

Hleb 7 - Has a cracking shot as he demonstrated, should use it more. Was a threat all night.

Gilberto 6 - Composed in the first half, but bottled it when they got physical in the second.

Song 6 - Not too bad. Actually completed forward passes and didn't make a fool of himself.

Ljungberg 7 - Good to see him score again, though he was offside. Hope he keeps this up, because a sharp Freddie scores winning goals in finals.

RvP 6 - Was a threat but easily wound up. His chances weren't the easiest.

Henry 9 - Different class. Went past players like they weren't there.

Subs:

Cesc 8 - Our best midfielder now, which is worrying and exciting at the same time.

Reyes 9 - Scored two great goals and won us the game. But he's still a left winger. No, really.

Pires 6 - One good pass, generally a waste of space.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Lehmann- 6. Dodgy night, exacerbated by that temper of his (it's embarrassing to see a 37 year old behave like a kid). A couple of top drawer saves though.

Eboue- 7. I have a feeling he did a couple of things last night that irritated me, but his cross for Reyes' goal was lovely.

Cole- 7. Tenacious, and in flashes showed the link up play we've missed a little in his absence. Kept going well.

Campbell- 7. Very pleased with Sol last night, was positive in everything he did and there was one superb tackle out there.

Toure- 6. Didn't really notice him. Is that good with a player like Kolo? I don't know.

Ljungberg- 7. I've given this guy a lot of stick, I feel he deserved it. But a great goal last night, unlucky not to score again and just looked more up for it. Is HE the answer to the left wing conundrum? (sabre says no...)

Song- 6. Did some good stuff, showed he does have an eye for a pass, if he could increase his completion rate, could be a player but there's clearly work to be done.

Gilberto- 7. Seems to be on a good run of form at the moment. Well played!

Hleb- 7. Good running from Hleb, some good passes, has a tendency to go for a killer ball a bit too often, but his tenacity is a major asset. Unlucky not to score with a rocket.

van Persie- 6. Disappointing night, nothing really came off for him. Numerous Reyeslike decisions, he turned into players when he could have passed and passed when he could have shot. That said, he was unlucky not to get a couple of goals, things will improve.

Henry- 9. No goals, but the man is in the mood right now. Lovely assist for Freddie, good assist for Reyes and a couple of great runs. The overhead would have been fabulous. Incomparable.

Fabregas- 8. Illustrated the difference between potential (Song) and brilliance. Straight into the game and how, great passing and movement. I would think he'll enjoy his first game against his lod club.

Reyes- 9. Didn't do much. But he did score two vital and brilliant goals. The second goal was beautiful, the first the kind of goal we used to score but don't seem to anymore.

Pires- 6. Holds onto the ball for too long for my liking these days, but played a part in one of the goals.

Ricky_AFC

Generally agree with Gurgen's ratings. Except the bit about Reyes being a left winger. Striker IMO.

hujja

Established Member
Ricky_AFC said:
Generally agree with Gurgen's ratings. Except the bit about Reyes being a left winger. Striker IMO.

Here we go again.

Can we just leave it at him being an attacking player without doing our heads in?

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style.

Marco van Basten
Top Bottom