• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Post Match Discussions and Ratings: Aston Villa vs Arsenal

Motm?

• Chamakh

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arshavin

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • Nasri

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

Humble Rex

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Ok, but Villa couldn't and didn't. So again- why all the moaning about Song attacking?

He isn´t very good at it, and it doesn´t really help our team quite as much as if he would just curb his offensive enthusiasm and put 100 % focus on protecting our back 5?

gstew

asajoseph said:
Can someone Tell me where Aston Villa's big threat down the middle came from?

I didnt really notice it, but given the continuos whinging about Song going forward, I can only assume it must have been there...
Thank you for some proper perspective!!!

Villa had only a handful of attacks throughout the entire game and I can't think of one of them where Song was out of position. The same posters write the same comments game after game regardless of the events that transpire.

AshburtonGhost

Villa created quite a few chances as a result of our inability to press/close down as a unit. We do it one man at a time and when it fails it leaves yawning gaps to be exploited. Needs to be sorted out big time.

gstew

AshburtonGhost said:
Villa created quite a few chances as a result of our inability to press/close down as a unit. We do it one man at a time and when it fails it leaves yawning gaps to be exploited. Needs to be sorted out big time.
You're referring to today's game?!?

asajoseph

Established Member
Humble Rex said:
asajoseph said:
Ok, but Villa couldn't and didn't. So again- why all the moaning about Song attacking?

He isn´t very good at it, and it doesn´t really help our team quite as much as if he would just curb his offensive enthusiasm and put 100 % focus on protecting our back 5?

He isn't? He's scored a handful of important goals for us this season, with a fee assists too, on top of handling the lions share of the midfield defensive duties. Yes, he's been a bit too free at times this season, but in a game like today's, where there's almost no threat down the middle, i don't understand all the moaning. Some of these comments might as well Have been written before the game.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Thought Song was generally fine today - he and Wilshere seem to work well in tandem defensively. He could do with fewer touches around the box though and, more importantly, when in possession deeper, pass quicker. It's always the same: look up, look left, look right, look back, pass. Too slow. But, yeah, he was pretty good today.

AshburtonGhost

I thought Song was good, decent defensive work in midfield and some nice creative passes going forward. Right at the end he sat deep when we were under pressure which helped us hold out their late long ball assault. I've been critical of him lately but he was one of our better ones today.

yuvken

Established Member
@ Asa-You are right in principle, but given the nerves post Sp**s, and the apparent deja vu, he needed to be the most D helpful mid in the second half. I thought he did that in many occasions today, but he really needed to get stuck there, as in a proper DM, when the signs of a villa comeback seemed to appear. In the latter part of the game one could also see how we benefit from Jack being the one who bursts forward (but that also thanks to denilson providing more cover). All in all Song is getting way too much stick, and today is no exception.

AshburtonGhost

gstew said:
AshburtonGhost said:
You're referring to today's game?!?

Yeah I am, although maybe I should've said "got into dangerous positions that a better team will take advantage of".

Humble Rex

Established Member
Song has scored a few goals and he has the odd assist. No doubt about it. Scoring goals isn´t where we suck though is it?

We have played 15 games in the league so far and we have conceded 17 goals. We seem to be on our way to concede in the 40+ category yet again. Maybe, just maybe it would be more helpful in the long run to us as a team if the CM with the best defensive abilities in our entire squad focused on protecting the back 5? I am not saying that this is the only reason why we concede too much, but in general our back 5 is too exposed IMO.

If you re-watch this game, or most other games this season, you will see that there were plenty of occasions when we lost possession and Song was NOT in position. Just because Villa were not good enough to exploit it today does not mean that there wasn´t a problem.

Oh, and Song lost Clark in the box today for his second goal. Another area Mr. Song Billong needs to improve btw...

Humble Rex

Established Member
I should add though that in general this is not a Song problem but rather a Wenger problem. He really needs to reign his ass in for the benefit of the team IMO.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Tony Montana said:
Yeah but a similar team drew to Utd.
The alarm bells have been ringing since the start of the season.

The team Villa put out today didn't have Agbonlahor & Albrighton which nullified any attacking threat they could muster. Pires & Carew were pretty awful in the 1st half-As soon as Delfouneso came on we looked more vulnerable in defence. That young Villan, Jonathan Hogg, had a blinder against MANU but he was out today although,his replacement, Clarke, did score both goals.

Any team with any pace and decent offensive talent is going to give us problems, simple. Teams get beyond and through our defensive midfield ranks way too easy.

Our team, much like the manager has no real feel for the pulse of a game and often does not know when to stick or twist..........a shame cause a lot of talent is there.

asajoseph

Established Member
It's not where we suck, but you just told me that he's not very good at it. The next Messi he ain't, but he's obviously not useless getting forward either.

And I'm not talking about other games, I'm talking about today's game, and I still don't see where these conclusions are coming from, if people are honestly basing them on what happened over those 96 minutes of play.

As for the second goal, I actually think Villa were pretty lucky. The big mistake on our part was Koscielny getting beaten in the air by Dunne, though Dunne certainly didn't intend to lob his header at perfect height over Song and Clichy to Clarke. It was barely an error on the part of either- you'll have to try harder than that.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Humble Rex said:
Song has scored a few goals and he has the odd assist. No doubt about it. Scoring goals isn´t where we suck though is it?

We have played 15 games in the league so far and we have conceded 17 goals. We seem to be on our way to concede in the 40+ category yet again. Maybe, just maybe it would be more helpful in the long run to us as a team if the CM with the best defensive abilities in our entire squad focused on protecting the back 5? I am not saying that this is the only reason why we concede too much, but in general our back 5 is too exposed IMO.

Somehow MANU manage to get Carrick forward and their defensive discipline doesn't fall to shreds......I think it is our system and coaching which is more the problem.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom