• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Post Match Discussions and Ratings: Aston Villa vs Arsenal

Motm?

• Chamakh

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Sagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arshavin

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • Nasri

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

yuvken

Established Member
AshburtonGhost said:
Settle down Yuvers, there's no anti-Song agenda going on.
You mean here, as in Rex? I'm sure Rex has no Song agenda (I doubt he has any other). But if you think there are no people with Song agendas, just like Clichy agendas and others, I think you should look deeper.

AshburtonGhost

People have favourite players and don't like them being criticised when they aren't playing well, that's what I put it down to anyway.

yuvken

Established Member
Only normally the "agendas" work in a different, negative way. Rather than fav players, who they want to protect, it's marked hatred players, who they can't see and judge simply for their net contribution on the day. Thus the Songs and Clichys, to name examples, would get 5's and 4's in solid games many times, or people will see Clichy for that weird turn and totally miss his ball anticipation and interception, his speed and annihilation of some dangerous attackers, or providing a platform for Shava's great game. These are agendas. Too many of them about.

Timleaf

Established Member
Song was poor. Went awol for long periods in the second half when we were hanging on, contributed next to nothing in attack, lost a few crucial headers and made more misplaced passes than any attacker or midfielder on either side.

yuvken

Established Member
Song is fantastic, and I am knackered. I'll just add that I agree with Rex: our Song problems are basically Arsène problems. He should sit on monsieur Billong to get it right. But he's not so far off the mark.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
How the hell was Carew not called offisde for their 1st goal??? That's what I want to know..........surely he was interfering with play. Flaps had to crane his neck to peek around him to see what was happening.

AshburtonGhost

Timleaf said:
Song was poor. Went awol for long periods in the second half when we were hanging on, contributed next to nothing in attack, lost a few crucial headers and made more misplaced passes than any attacker or midfielder on either side.

And in comes Tim with the hammer blow! :lol:

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't actually think Song was brilliant.

But the stuff about him attacking too much today is basically rubbish.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Song has greatly improved in his new role recently and defended quite well at times .

Fact is we need better defenders the high press does not suit squid , he looks vulnerable against any attacker with pace or power, there was a point where it looked like ashley young done him for strength .

fabo

6.51 / 10
How good is Nasri this season btw?

Looked like he was having some troubles with his groin but was still influential. I'm doubtful he would have skinned Dunne in that fashion last season. Definitely one of the stand-out performers in the league this season.

And I'm a Nasri hater apparently.....:razz:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
asajoseph said:
I don't actually think Song was brilliant.

But the stuff about him attacking too much today is basically rubbish.

Ok I understand you want to discuss his contribution only for todays game as you want to prove us all wrong :) , but the fact remains that, even in todays game our back four was often exposed on second half.

Hell, there was a point in game when Song was furthest in attack. He ran past Chamakh and Nasri, trying to intercept a ball.

I do think you will agree that Song, as we know him from last season, would bring more stability to our defensive aspect.

hesham

Established Member
Songs been fine for a while now, took him a bit to adapt to his new role but has put in some good performances of late.. The 2 midfielder behind the am should be attacking and defending and him a Jack have struck u a good partnership doing that.. Do people really think we would be able to attack the way we do if our cms just sat infront of the back four? its just about getting the balance right which looks to be happening. The same rubbish seem to be said of him over and over again like a broken record.. We had hardly any problems through the middle today and Song defended very well when he needed to..

mo50

Established Member
fabo said:
How good is Nasri this season btw?

Looked like he was having some troubles with his groin but was still influential. I'm doubtful he would have skinned Dunne in that fashion last season. Definitely one of the stand-out performers in the league this season.

And I'm a Nasri hater apparently.....:razz:

He's been immense. Looks quicker, stronger and much, much more confident. If we can keep him and Arshavin in this form, our attack will improve tenfolds.

I've been extremely impressed with him. The away fans are always singing his name too.

mistaT

Established Member
mo50 said:
I've been extremely impressed with him. The away fans are always singing his name too.

Nanananananana nana ana na Samir Nasri :bounce

He's been immense, and I think has found his position and role in the team.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Knew he was quick but that burst he made into the box where he was one on one with the keeper was explosive . Liking the fact in the last few games he has sought to make runs past the last defender . Which will make him a more dangerous proposition .

gstew

hesham said:
Songs been fine for a while now, took him a bit to adapt to his new role but has put in some good performances of late.. The 2 midfielder behind the am should be attacking and defending and him a Jack have struck u a good partnership doing that.. Do people really think we would be able to attack the way we do if our cms just sat infront of the back four? its just about getting the balance right which looks to be happening. The same rubbish seem to be said of him over and over again like a broken record.. We had hardly any problems through the middle today and Song defended very well when he needed to..
I fully agree. There is nothing easier to defend than a static opponent. It would appear that many on this forum would prefer we change the exact thing that makes Arsenal most difficult to play against. Locking one player into one specific area of the field makes us much less dynamic and takes away our inherent advantages.

I am not arguing against defensive discipline or shape. I am arguing against trying to accomplish defensive discipline and shape through static players.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
We weren't in danger yesterday because Villa were playing Hogg, Bannan and Pires in central midfield. Even when we were 3-1 up we conceded possession too often high up the pitch and Villa were threatening us more than they should. We left huge gaps to exploit which for me is completely unacceptable bearing in mind how cheaply we've been giving away goals and leads this season. I don't care if it's 'our style' or rubbish like that, when we're 3-1 up in a difficult away fixture I want us to defend like a unit, not rush forward and hope we outscore them as we're simply not good enough to do that on a consistent basis this season. I think our central midfielders play a big role in that and with Song being the more mature and experienced one I blame him more than Jack who is after all an attacking player by instinct. Then again if Wenger gives Song the freedom to do so it's hard to blame him as attacking is more fun than defending...

As I said it was our luck Villa had no players who could really take advantage of the space we left, maybe after Ireland came on we could have been in trouble but he doesn't look half the player he was two years ago.

Edit: One 'static' player won't hurt our style anyways. We played stunning football with Gilberto in the side.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Fabianski still worries me greatly. He can't seem to come for crosses or corners with any conviction. That, added to the fact that we have a defence (without Djourou) and midfield (without Diaby) that is unlikely to win any sort of aerial contest, and you see why we don't need to be dominated to concede.

I'm sure it's something AW is aware of, but I fear its the same story of waiting for another spectacular collapse near the end of the season before anything's done about it.

Humble Rex

Established Member
gstew said:
hesham said:
I fully agree. There is nothing easier to defend than a static opponent. It would appear that many on this forum would prefer we change the exact thing that makes Arsenal most difficult to play against. Locking one player into one specific area of the field makes us much less dynamic and takes away our inherent advantages.

I am not arguing against defensive discipline or shape. I am arguing against trying to accomplish defensive discipline and shape through static players.

We certainly need more rigidity IMO. One of the problems defensively is exactly that we have too much "free flowing" football. What it means is that when we lose possesion we often have so many players out of position that it makes it a nightmare to defend properly.

Neither Chelsea nor Man U look static IMO, and yet the majority of their players are at any given time "in position" within reason. We are routinely caught out of position in certain areas of the pitch.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom