• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Preferred Midfield Signing

Partey or Thiago

• Total voters

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Season starts in 2 weeks, doesn’t seem like it’s heating up. Looks like a stalled link if anything.

Doesn’t really matter does it? This isn’t a deal where there’ll be long dragged out negotiations. They either decide to pay the €50m or they don’t. It would be done and dusted within a day or two if they decide to pay the money.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Doesn’t really matter does it? This isn’t a deal where there’ll be long dragged out negotiations. They either decide to pay the €50m or they don’t. It would be done and dusted within a day or two if they decide to pay the money.

Thing is if we need to raise the funds through sales we may be waiting a little while.

But thinking about it has there ever been an instance where a team makes sales to afford someone towards the end of the window? Swear its always spoken about "such and such needs to raise funds for XYZ" But it never works out like that :lol:

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Guys like Van De Beek have twice the numbers and less cost then Aourar.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Thing is if we need to raise the funds through sales we may be waiting a little while.

But thinking about it has there ever been an instance where a team makes sales to afford someone towards the end of the window? Swear its always spoken about "such and such needs to raise funds for XYZ" But it never works out like that :lol:

Cash is pretty tight at the minute. Season ticket renewals usually make up a big chunk of cash that we get around June/July and we haven’t had any of that yet. Maybe once they do something with that they’ll have more money to sign someone like Partey.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Cash is pretty tight at the minute. Season ticket renewals usually make up a big chunk of cash that we get around June/July and we haven’t had any of that yet. Maybe once they do something with that they’ll have more money to sign someone like Partey.

Season ticket renewals are Friday apparently.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Aourar has 3 league goals and 3 league assists.

Van De Beek has 8 goals and 6 assists.

I don't see your point here, Aouar is a number 8 in a 3. His play style is similar to David Silva, Iniesta and players in that mould.

VDB isn't that sort of player, he's still brilliant of course.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

He's very underrated going forward. Not an out and out playmaker but offers a lot. Averages 6.4 forward passes per game which is impressive from someone who is also elite defensively.
We've needed a guy like him for quite a while now, get the ball centrally after defending & will be able to start a rather quick counter by a quick long ball to Auba or if someone else like Pepe, Willian or Ceballos if he stays a quick short pass aswell. Will also be able to hold the ball up after he does some good defending if we need to. If we play 433 he can probably be in front of the back 4 or be able to stay forward a bit more I suppose.

Finesse

I am basing my opinion on how Arteta deployed post covid. The role he gave to Niles was key to what he wants from a midfield. He sacrificed a play maker for a stability and control. This is when he faced the top teams. A tactical masterclass. Same tactics Lyon deployed to see out City.

Going forward we need stability and control in midfield. Arteta needs a player to add to Ceballos and Xhaka. Partey is the player. This is the kind of balance he needs to control the game , protect the defense and transition play. He has tried Torreira before , but injuries and ability on the ball in tight spaces has proved a challenge for him.

CM = Partey , Xhaka , Dani , Niles , Lucas

Arteta plans to move Auba into the front , but also wary of losing the threat he offers coming from the left side when Laca takes up the defenders. This has been key to Auba's form this season. This is here Willian comes in.

Offensive / playmaker based on Arteta's system is a nice to have. He sacrificed that for shape and control in the midfield. They are always good on the ball but the demand for them to tuck in and put a shift is very huge. Be it Özil , Aouar or Coutinho , players of this mold play with the ball at best and not without it. Ceballos/Xhaka all good passers had to up their work rate to stay in the team.

At the moment , with Özil staying , I doubt we have the finance to go for Coutinho ( wage ) or Aouar ( transfer fee)

Besides I am happy with a Xhaka , Ceballos and Partey midfield. With Pepe ( Martinelli ) and Willian ( Saka) supporting from the wide areas.

So to be realistic , we need Partey ( priority) and if someone becomes available at the right price/wage . ( Countinho ( if we offload Özil's wage ) , or Aouar ( If we get a good fee for Gouenduzi and top it up) .

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We've needed a guy like him for quite a while now, get the ball centrally after defending & will be able to start a rather quick counter by a quick long ball to Auba or if someone else like Pepe, Willian or Ceballos if he stays a quick short pass aswell. Will also be able to hold the ball up after he does some good defending if we need to. If we play 433 he can probably be in front of the back 4 or be able to stay forward a bit more I suppose.

Yep he is an all action CM, a player who not only improves us massively right now but would help us challenge for the title later on.

Even a pivot of Xhaka and Partey is very well balanced on paper. A pivot of Xhaka and Aouar however doesn't really work. With the other role you have a lot of options if you sign Partey because of the positions you can use him in. We could sign a proper creative 8 to play in a 3 or an out and out number 10 for a 4231.

That's why I think the club go for Partey now and then see what happens with player sales to go after someone else. There's a plethora of players you could go for.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom