• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premiership 09/10- Our race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcdude24

Established Member
Re: Premiership 09/10- the race to 4th.

I love how ambitious we are around here. Imagine what our 03/04 selves would be thinking if they saw us now.

Lord Dula

Established Member

Defending fourth aint gonna be easy. But I'm optimistic that Villa and co will collapse and bottle it again as happened last year. Our experience in nabbing fourth (particulary that year we snatched it from Sp**s) will stand us in great stead.

One thing I might add - don't panic if we're sitting 5th or 6th come chrimbo.

KEEP THE FAITH!!!! BELIEVE!!!! IN TURNIP WE TRUST!!!! HILL-WOOD 4EVER!!!

Biggus

Established Member

ibby said:
I can't be bothered to start a new thread so I'll ask in here. What will be the absolute minimum for success this season? 3rd? 2nd? FA Cup winners?

If Wenger doesn't make any more signings and maintains that his players are good enough for the 3rd season in a row he will stake his future on one last roll of the dice as far as I'm concerned....The absolute minimum is at least 4th place AND a trophy (not the CC), otherwise he can f**k off.
lagos said:
number_0 said:
The optimist ones in here should view finishing forth as a prize, while the pessimists would look at it as an absolute failure.
Pick your side.

It doesn't work that way

No indeed it doesn't- I think we'll come 1st in the race for 4th as Hujja puts it heh heh, does that make me an optimist or a pessimist? :?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Lol only way we can finish 4th is to aim for the premiership . If we aim for 4th we will probably finish 6th.

Lord Dula

Established Member

but 6th really wouldnt be the end of the world - chances are we could recover the lost CL revenue via an extended run in what was the UEFA Cup

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

True , true and maybe even win it .Ill take that . Who says we don't look on the bright side lol!

belgianfan

I think we wil do good. Probably, 2nd place even. Man utd will struggle without ronaldo and tevez. They just don't realise it. The smaller teams will not get steamrolled by that ronaldo train.

Liverpool got lucky last season, we have a better squad than there's. If torres gets one injury they are ****ed. In rvp,arshavin,cesc,eduardo we have more players who could make a difference.

We will get humiliated in the champions league though. If we get barcelona or real madrid, they will rape us. Eduardo to be the surprise of the season.

fabo

6.51 / 10

ibby said:
I can't be bothered to start a new thread so I'll ask in here. What will be the absolute minimum for success this season? 3rd? 2nd? FA Cup winners?

4th place and possibly a domestic cup if we get favourable draws.

Think we'll be better than last season but the same frailties are there for all to see. Players like Denilson play far too many games for a club like ours...I just can't get my head around Wenger's thinking. He's playing a dangerous game with City on the scene because they won't stop until they have top 4 status be it this year or 3 years down the line (and if they do get it the quality of players they attract increases). I'd be optimistic of us going a step further to 3rd if we stayed fully fit but we have a full treatment room without a ball even being kicked. Disappointing as the other big 4 are looking vulnerable but again we're doing nothing.

MAK 14

Established Member

To be honest, my head is saying we'll challenge on all four fronts, but my heart is telling me that at best we'll come 4th and win the Carling Cup.

What amazes me is that every single football fan in the world pretty much know our weaknesses; even the players. I just cannot understand that the person who can make a difference and get rid of the weaknesses, cannot see them. One of the main reasons we didn't challenge last year was because of the centre midfield issue - but yet Wenger is going into a different season, without correcting his problems. He must really see something in Denilson that no one else can. The thing is, players like Lampard, Mascherano and Carrick scare me, do you think that Denilson and Song would generate that much fear into teams like Liverpool? I highly doubt it.

I'm going into the season still behind Wenger, but should we not win anything again, especially after having the whole world telling him his problem, and having a whole summer to rectify them, i think his position as manager really has to be questioned. I still pray he's got a few signings up his sleeve.

Anzac

Established Member

outlaw...........

good work & I totally agree......I've said elsewhere that IMO we COULD/SHOULD be challenging for the PL/CL Double this season - IF we sign those 3 players & quality.

LFC are as vulnerable as we are re injuries;
ManU will still be tough, but IMO their attack won't be able to carry any injuries to their defence like last season = they will need their defence to carry their weakened attack;
CFC are playing a new formation, which negates much of their strength on the flanks.

The possibilities are so tangible that I'll cut sick at AW IF he doesn't sign before the close of this window. IMO with the current injuries we can NOT afford to wait re CL Qualification.

asajoseph

Established Member

Minimum?

I'd say finishing within the champions league places and at least within 6-7 points of the top.

Alternatively, a cup and a top 4 finish.

If Wenger can't meet either of those criteria, it will be time for him to go.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Nah we have no chance of winning the Carling cup I'd say - realistically, our kids will have to beat PL teams, many of whom will play strong teams in latter stages. Plus City have no Europe so Hughes must see this as a real opportunity to win a first trophy there. FA Cup is a possibility but if we progress to CL knockout, we'll probably take it for granted again.

As much as I'd take a 4th and a domestic cup, the League is the barometer of how good a team is. Put it this way, if we were to nick a top 4 place on the last day and won the FA Cup...would that mean we have suddenly made it?? I hope we win a trophy this year but we need to get ourselves back in the mix for leagues.

A great season would be 3rd or above and a domestic cup but I can't see it.

Rohit

Established Member

If Wenger cannot win the Premiership after refusing to spend the £ 40 ml he has had at his disposal because of an inexplicable belief in some players, then it is certainly time for him to step down.

asajoseph

Established Member

The Premiership is competitive, and we can't guarantee winning it. But to expect us to get a whole lot closer to the top is not unreasonable. We need to ebe 12-14 points closer next season. And, most importantly, we need to see some progress in defence.

If Wenger can't get the defence right, then for whatever else he does, there'll be absolutely no point in him staying on any further.

Anzac

Established Member

ibby said:

In no way will I accept a repeat of last season as any sort of success - I didn't then, I don't now, and I'm not going to in June. If we give ourselves our best possible opportunity to realise our potential I'll be satisfied regardless of where we finish or of any titles. Anything other than that is a failure IMO & the scope of which is determined by how the season unfolds. This is why IMO these past seasons HAVE been a failure, as in NONE of them did AW give the team the best possible opportunity - either in quality starting players, squad depth, selections, tactics etc.

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member

number_0 said:
The optimist ones in here should view finishing forth as a prize, while the pessimists would look at it as an absolute failure.
Pick your side.

Bullsh*t. Do you even know what optimism means?

fabo

6.51 / 10

asajoseph said:
The Premiership is competitive, and we can't guarantee winning it. But to expect us to get a whole lot closer to the top is not unreasonable. We need to ebe 12-14 points closer next season. And, most importantly, we need to see some progress in defence.

If Wenger can't get the defence right, then for whatever else he does, there'll be absolutely no point in him staying on any further.

Agree - no divine right to win stuff but competing come the business end of the season shouldn't be beyond our means.

It's been proven that we've not been good enough defensively and that's my main gripe with Wenger right now. Since he refuses to buy players who could improve us, not enough is being done with the resources we have as we still seem to be leaking comical goals every season. We play the same style no matter the personnel in the team and that's suicidal with the current crop.

I hope Vermaelen is good...:wink:

Rohit

Established Member

asajoseph said:

Not challenging is unacceptable.

Challenging and finishing 6-7 points off could be as difficult to bear because the difference between winning and finishing 6-7 points off could be an experienced central midfielder and an aerially dominant centerback.

I said it elsewhere but i expect the defence to be better as players should now start understanding each other better having player and grown together but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom