• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sevilla V Arsenal - Tuesday November 27 - 7.45pm

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
GunnerBP said:
Whatever team we put out should be able to win this game. Sevilla is a good team, but they aren't playing well at the moment. The game in Prague for us was in awful conditions, and for many of the players it was their first European game.

A lineup of

Almunia
Hoyte - Song - Senderos - Clichy
Walcott - Gilberto - Diarra - Denilson
Bendtner - Eduardo

should be able to win.

You think so? The very thought of that defence facing Kanoute, Jesus Navas, and Kerzakhov is already making me nervous!

True Gooner

Established Member
Alfonso said:
GunnerBP said:
Whatever team we put out should be able to win this game. Sevilla is a good team, but they aren't playing well at the moment..

We cant be that complacent. Seville will rip our Carling Cup team into shreds, I can tell you that now. Lets not underestimate this team so much.

Despite last nights result, they have been playing very well, and did they not defeat the then undefeated Real Madrid. On their day, they are one of the best teams in Europe. Techically, this could be the hardest game we face all season. I dont know how and why people are taking them so lightly, I think you guys will be in for a shock on Tue if you think all we have to do is just show up in order to get the 3 points.

QFT..
Sevilla are an extremely togh side to beat..theyve been pretty good over the past few weeks except last nights game. They have a strong squad and while it wont be the hardest game this season, I think we will be given a run for a money. A draw would be great IMO

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
We've now got a strong enough squad to give Sevilla a good game, regardless of who we play. I'm hoping for a good mixture of youth and experience. Hopefully Gallas and Gilberto will both play.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
GoonerGurjit said:
I just want us to avoid defeat. Maybe Sevilla will rest a couple of players too.

Defeat wouldn't actually be too bad, GoonerGurjit. While I wouldn't us to lose on purpose, it might actually be better to have a glamour tie in the knockout rounds than to face Fenerbahce or Rosenborg or Shaktar. Those away games in Istanbul or Donetsk (where we can be certain to face 10 men behind the ball puzzles) can be awfully tricky and uncertain ties.

True talk, we play much better against big teams in knockout ties.
But I just want us to play great football against seville, you know.

A match ive been looking forward to since start of season, cant wait!!!

tam1886

Established Member
I think the team that played Slavia away could actually do a good job here. I'd have the first choice defence though, or the major part of it at least. Maybe put Senderos in if he's back?

Sevilla would be more open, and I think that would suit the likes of Denilson more as he will get a bit more space and time on the ball. I'd be confident that many of the fringe attacking players could do well enough to get us a win, or a draw at least. I'd defintely have to go with an experience defence because that is the area that could win or lose us the game, and we can't afford to take chances there. The only players I see being rested from it are possibly Sagna and Toure.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Yeh it will surrely be an open game T...Thats why ive been looking forward to this all season, think big phil and hoyte will start and maybe even song with berto being captain

arsmile

Established Member
from Arsène's quote it seems as if he's gonna rest quite a few- in that case a draw will be a great result- i dont reckon he'll rest either gallas or toure, and probably clichy (due to questionable cover)- so we should be solid enough at the back...do we know if any of the 5 injuries at the weekend will be back (+wallcott, who 'went numb')?- if we go without cesc, hleb, and flams- we're gonna struggle offensively, ade needs a rest and eduardo really needs a start- ideally with bendtner- mind you, we could have put them two up top last time, but went went with the dreaded 451- i really hope we dont do that

i think it would be really good to finish top- i know we have tended to do better in the 'glamour ties' but i would rather take my chances with a lesser team- our performances in the premiership suggest we should be able to deal with difficult but lower-ability teams.

also, i really dont want to loose because we've got an impresive run going, mind you- if we are going to loose a game and not have it cost us or effect morale significantly- this is the game to loose, we wont lessen our lead on the table, wont go out of a cup- and it may take some of the pressure off the players so when we do loose (it will happen!!) in the premiership or cups- it wont be a massive shock to the system cos we've already experienced it earlier in the season....

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sevilla is a good team, but they aren't playing that well at the moment. They did beat Real Madrid but that was their second game with their new coach. Most teams have a couple of better than average games once they get a new coach. This team can beat any team on their day. They just have not had their day for over a month.

Apart from the defense this team matches up well. I have a feeling that either Gallas or Toure will start this game, but I could not decide which of Hoyte, Song, or Senderos would not start, so I put them all in. A midfield of Walcott - Gilberto - Diarra - Denilson matches up really well to Sevilla. Navas - Poulsen - Keita - Capel are all good players, but they aren't better than those four. Their midfield may be more offensive minded than ours, but our defensive strength could be a huge asset in this game. Bendtner and Eduardo both need a game so I bet they will get it. They are both good strikers and I would not be surprised if one of them scored. Kanoute and Luis Fabiano (Kerzakov doesn't start) are both good strikers, and could cause us problems, but will see. Replacing one of those three defenders with Toure or Gallas should be good enough.

I am not taking Sevilla lightly, but instead I'm appreciating the team we have. Our second string is as good as many first teams and that includes teams as good as Sevilla. The weather in Sevilla should be better than Prague's, so we should get an entertaining game that I expect a win from despite not fielding our best players.

ibby

Established Member
Imagine the good it will do to our youngsters careers to start a big European game away from home. Invaluable experience, especially if we are looking to dominate the competition in the coming years.

sesquioxide

Alfonso said:
sesquioxide said:
Defeat wouldn't actually be too bad, GoonerGurjit. While I wouldn't us to lose on purpose, it might actually be better to have a glamour tie in the knockout rounds than to face Fenerbahce or Rosenborg or Shaktar. Those away games in Istanbul or Donetsk (where we can be certain to face 10 men behind the ball puzzles) can be awfully tricky and uncertain ties.

You shouldnt have that mentality man. Why shoot ourselfs in the foot for no reason?

Playing the second leg away in the San Siro or the Nou Camp will be a lot harder than playing the second leg at home to Fenerbache.

Afonso, I agree that we shouldn't lose and we should keep the winning mentality going. But on a more theoretical point of view, do you really prefer playing the second leg at home? (I myself prefer playing home games first, since losing the away game first means having a mountain to climb at home.) I mean, I would seriously take San Siro or Nou Camp in March (where teams aren't likely to play 10 men behind the ball) over well below freezing conditions in Norway or Donetsk in February (where teams almost certainly will play 10 men behind the ball).

Long Time Gooner

sesquioxide said:
Afonso, I agree that we shouldn't lose and we should keep the winning mentality going. But on a more theoretical point of view, do you really prefer playing the second leg at home? (I myself prefer playing home games first, since losing the away game first means having a mountain to climb at home.) I mean, I would seriously take San Siro or Nou Camp in March (where teams aren't likely to play 10 men behind the ball) over well below freezing conditions in Norway or Donetsk in February (where teams almost certainly will play 10 men behind the ball).
If they play 10 men behind the ball then it's not that likely that they'd give us a mountain to climb.

sesquioxide

Long Time Gooner said:
If they play 10 men behind the ball then it's not that likely that they'd give us a mountain to climb.

It definitely will be a mountain if we have the additional concern about conceding an away goal while we are playing at the Emirates in the second leg. Another set of home and away games like those we had against PSV or CSKA last season is probably the last thing we want.

banduan

Established Member
Arsène can and will rest most of the 1st team against Sevilla, just as he did vs Slavia. There is absolutely no reason not to. The winning streak is nice but not as important as keeping players fresh for the coming December matches.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
On one hand, I'd like to see us put out a full strength squad and try to win this match. On the other hand, winning the League this year is almost if not more important than winning the CL. If we're good enough to win the tournament, it won't matter who play in the knockout stages. If we throw Cesc out there and he picks up a serious injury, it can pretty much cripple us, and for what? To finish 1st in the group instead of 2nd? While "playing to lose" is completely unacceptable, a squad filled with half experienced vets and half of the youngsters should be able to get a draw with Sevilla. It's easy to point to Slavia away, but the pitch was a nightmare, the weather was really tough, and we were playing a team with a major point to prove, that played tough defensively. Sevilla are not a defense first team, they won't play negative football at home.

This is my preferred XI, knowing full well there's no shot of it happening

Jens (give Manny a rest)

Sagna --- Toure --- Song --- Flamini

Denilson -- Diarra -- Rosicky -- Eduardo

---- Bendtner ----- Adebayor -----

We're banged up in the center of midfield right now, and we have 3 strikers who are more than capable. I'd play Eduardo on the left and allow him to move up more alongside of Ade, which works on two levels. It allows him to be creative on the byline, and also forces Ade inside instead of drifting way outside and isolating Bendtner. Denilson has good defensive sensibilities, so he can help compensate for Bendtner's lack of pace tracking back. Rosicky has looked good in the center, so give him a go there. Flamini is capable of joining the rush, and also for securing the left side if Eduardo gets caught in deep.

Again, won't happen, but that's my lucid dream.

Juicy

I doubt it, and even if he is, there is no way he will be picked. Wenger just doesn't take those kind of risks for games that hardly matter. All I'll say is that I think Bendtner and Eduardo should start together up front. However that will leave us well and truly ****ed on the wings. Re-signing Pennant, anyone?

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I am confident that a draw in Seville will be enough for Arsenal to finish at the top of the group for the KO stage. I read somewhre AW said he will rotate players and the lineup will be like the one in the Slavia away game. AW will unlikely risk many of his regular XI in this game, considered Hleb and RvP's absence and the next three away PL games (Villa, Newcastle, Boro) within the following 9 days after the sevilla match.

I guess the line-up will be:

Almunia
Sagna, Kolo, Senderos, Clichy
Eboue, Gilberto, Denilson, Diaby
Bendtner, Eduardo

Substitution: Lehmann, Hoyte, Song, Diarra, Cesc, Walcott, Adebayor

I hope Cesc won't have to come up to save the team a point.

Rahul

GoonerGurjit said:
It will be most interesting to see what Wenger's team selection will be for this game.

Personally I would go for:

--------------------Almunia------------------

Sagna----Senderos----Gallas----Clichy

Eboue----Gilberto-----Cesc-----Eduardo

-----------Walcott------Bendtner

Is theo fit enough to play?

Zico

Established Member
In rotating the team, Wenger could bring in Cesc who did not play over the weekend and managed only a half of football against the Irish. I think he is rested enough.

If we can play with Fabregas, Toure and Gallas, I really don't care who the other 7 outfield players are.

I would also draft Lehmann for the last two group games and the Blackburn tie.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom