• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
We needed proper defenders for a long time.

None of our centers backs looks comfortable in 2 center back systems.

We signed Mari and Soares who are seriously lacking quality. We need quality.

I fail to see how we move forward with this defense, 8 center backs that are all not good enough and will take 2-3 years replacing.

That Mari signing still pisses me off

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Can't believe you left out this champ

mustadi.png

I mentally block out his existence whenever I'm not forced to watch him play

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Realistically speaking how many of our players would start for Utd, Chelsea and Leicester? I'm not even counting Pool or City because it gets embarrassing.
For me: Leno- he's better than De Gea, Kepa and Schmichael.
Auba- top scorer for 2 seasons in a row. I don't think that's controversial.
Tierney-very good lb when fit. Better than Shaw, Alonso and Chilwell.
Saka- great young talent and versatile. Could be a left back for Utd and Chelsea but could find himself in midfield for Leicester or even Liverpool, I'm sure Klopp would like him. That's basically it 4 players out of a squad of 30.

Kav

Established Member
When did we stop buying good footballers?
2018, with the exception of Martinelli (the jury is out on Tierney and guendouzi) all our purchases have been poor. Emery didn't make any good purchases and so far Arteta is yet to get a full transfer window.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Our squad analysis is just depressing. We are keeping too much faith in players who aren't going to deliver, look at Bellerin. When he came through the ranks we had to keep Barca away, now we are joking about him not having to plant trees.

In a combined Arsenal with a City/Liverpool/Chelsea/United team, how many of our players would be starters? I'd argue Tierney and maybe Auba. That's it. And then we are signing players like Mari and Cedric as our long term options to strengthen that already mediocre team. Meanwhile we have plumbers like Kolasinac on enormous wages, they won't leave for regular first team football. A lot of work for Arteta these next few years!

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Realistically speaking how many of our players would start for Utd, Chelsea and Leicester? I'm not even counting Pool or City because it gets embarrassing.
For me: Leno- he's better than De Gea, Kepa and Schmichael.
Auba- top scorer for 2 seasons in a row. I don't think that's controversial.
Tierney-very good lb when fit. Better than Shaw, Alonso and Chilwell.
Saka- great young talent and versatile. Could be a left back for Utd and Chelsea but could find himself in midfield for Leicester or even Liverpool, I'm sure Klopp would like him. That's basically it 4 players out of a squad of 30.

Have you seen the state of utd's and chelsea's centrebacks? Chelsea are compensating with an amazing midfield and utd are compensating with penalties and reffing decisions.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Agree on defense, but in between Luiz and Saliba we should have good enough ball playing CB’s.

We just desperately lack creativity going forward. We don’t have it in midfield and we don’t have it in our front three. Xhaka and Ceballos are way too slow on the ball and imho cowardly when it comes to passing through the lines. Willock, ESR, Saka aren’t ready to take on the responsibility of pulling the strings in a PL team. Auba is a great goalscorer but don’t create chances and Lacazette is too slow and not a good enough link up player. Pepe has it in him but needs to start just stepping on the gas. To his defense he usually gets the ball way too late, but when he doesn’t he halts our play completely. Nketiah is a good enough backup, but not more atm. Nelson needs a loan and some confidence.

If we are to keep playing three up front we need to find a false 9 similar to Firmino or change to a 4-3-3 and get a solid DM and someone in the mould of a Silva, De Bruyne, Modric. The current 3-4-3 could work but then we’d need someone like Kovacic that can progress the ball through the lines both through dribbling and passing.

Ideally we’d replace Laca with a more technical forward + get an athletic, well rounded DM/CM + get a creative CM with great vision and passing + loan out Willock, ESR and Nelson.

Don’t think it’s possible to do all in the same window though and it’s a puzzle that’s fairly hard to solve given what we have in the squad right now, but I see this as more important than upgrading CB/RB

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We don't have to buy 10 players to see results. Manchester basically finished their transition with Fernandes, a single player that connected a lot of dots for them and they were a mess just as we are now.
I think that 1 top midfielder and a decent RB would change so much in our team, together with the addition of Saliba which is already done.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
All these 'busy little fighters' in the team. wonder why we couldn't score a goal yesterday? because they are Average. that's why.

They've already run Özil out of the club, Pepe to follow. I swear, if Auba leaves, we aren't gonna be anywhere near the top half.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The Villa game shows why no European football would be a huge benefit if we had a somewhat ambitious owner.

The first team does need work but it’s when we try to do any sort of rotation that we see massive problems.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The Villa game shows why no European football would be a huge benefit if we had a somewhat ambitious owner.

The first team does need work but it’s when we try to do any sort of rotation that we see massive problems.

It's not just rotation. Anytime we are favourites and theres pressure on to win the match we dont do it. That's a mental problem but also a problem with how good we actually are.

We can win those one of games once or twice a year. But that doesnt indicate improvement if you get beat by lower half or relegation opposition.

United went on a run of 17/18 games unbeaten. With lots of wins. That's improvement that's consistency.

So far from the CV we have in the league.

Lost to City, Brighton, Sp**s, Villa
Beat Soton, Liverpool, Wolves, Norwich

Theres absolutely no consistency. Cup games are one of games. It just takes a bit of luck and things to fall into place in any given 90 mins.

However our bread and butter is the league. We needed to beat Aston Villa yesterday to qualify for the Europa League. But again we failed. And this is Arsenal. They let one cup game make them void of responsibility in other matches.

We did exactly the same last year it's a constant repeat every year. Its draining.

And I have seen how this ends again. The pressure on us on the FA cup is so intense that these players will buckle. We seen it last year when the stakes where huge and this is the same. Chelsea are going into the FA cup with European football guaranteed and it's a free hit at a trophy for Lampard. It's all pressure Arteta.

Sick to the death of this. Do one good thing and straight away a bad thing.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's not just rotation. Anytime we are favourites and theres pressure on to win the match we dont do it. That's a mental problem but also a problem with how good we actually are.

We can win those one of games once or twice a year. But that doesnt indicate improvement if you get beat by lower half or relegation opposition.

United went on a run of 17/18 games unbeaten. With lots of wins. That's improvement that's consistency.

So far from the CV we have in the league.

Lost to City, Brighton, Sp**s, Villa
Beat Soton, Liverpool, Wolves, Norwich

Theres absolutely no consistency. Cup games are one of games. It just takes a bit of luck and things to fall into place in any given 90 mins.

However our bread and butter is the league. We needed to beat Aston Villa yesterday to qualify for the Europa League. But again we failed. And this is Arsenal. They let one cup game make them void of responsibility in other matches.

We did exactly the same last year it's a constant repeat every year. Its draining.

And I have seen how this ends again. The pressure on us on the FA cup is so intense that these players will buckle. We seen it last year when the stakes where huge and this is the same. Chelsea are going into the FA cup with European football guaranteed and it's a free hit at a trophy for Lampard. It's all pressure Arteta.

Sick to the death of this. Do one good thing and straight away a bad thing.

You are attributing these things to purely mental factors. When in fact the attitude of the players has completely changed under Arteta.

Look at our squad. Look at how many times we've had to play in the last month and then look at our fixtures.

From the 17th of June -

City away
Brighton away
Southampton away
Sheff Utd away
Norwich home
Wolves away
Leicester home
Sp**s away
Liverpool home
City Wembley
Villa away

11 games so far in 5 weeks. We've won the exact amount of games we should be winning with the squad we have. And have you noticed the pattern of us winning against teams we don't usually win against in that run of games? Because all we can do is play on the counter as we lack creativity.

@14Henry you're being very reactionary, just try to relax. It was a big ask getting European football with our fixtures remaining and the squad we have. The FA cup final is in our favour considering the opposition. Even if we don't win it its not club defining, trust the process and relax.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We haven't replaced Ramsey and getting rid of Iwobi Mkhi without replace them too cost us no surprise we struggling to create chances.

We barely register 10 shots a game we heavily rely on Pepe Auba to create something or our fullbacks wingbacks to create something and won't work against teams sit very deep.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Look at Liverpool now why they desperate want Thiago because they want something different from being heavily rely on thier TAA and Robertson or Mane. They have zero creativity despite they creating chances

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom