• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2022/23

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
The big problem that needs to be addressed is that we concede way too many goals. Our first half of the season (ok we didn’t play City or Everton at least once during this period) was near perfect in terms of how few chances we were giving away.

The second half of the season however we have been gifting chances to every side in this league and probably have been lucky to not have been punished more. I think this has been the big determinant of why we have fallen off more than anything else. It’s a bit reductive to say Saliba was the sole reason why our defence was so strong but take him out of the team and we are shipping goals and chances at a vastly increased rate. Saying that, I can’t forget how Toney monstered Saliba in the Brentford game at home.

We need a group of 4 starting quality CB’s with different qualities who we can call on for any given game.

Last edited:

Sparrahork

The big problem that needs to be addressed is that we concede way too many goals. Our first half of the season (ok we didn’t play City or Everton at least once during this period) was near perfect in terms of how few chances we were giving away.

The second half of the season however we have been gifting chances to every side in this league and probably have been lucky to not have been punished more. I think this has been the big determinant of why we have fallen off more than anything else. It’s a bit reductive to say Saliba was the sole reason why our defence was so strong but take him out of the team and we are shipping goals and chances at a vastly increased rate. Saying that, I can’t forget how Toney monstered Saliba in the Brentford game at home.

We need a group of 4 starting quality CB’s with different qualities who we can call on for any given game.
Saliba has been a big miss, it has been remarkable how quickly our tactics have moved on making holding appear more of a liability than he would be in a different team.

There is very competent back up there in terms of white, but tomi out at the same time and to some extent Cedric going on loan has been crucial.

Going forward we are fine, but the defensive midfielders and zinny have struggled given less assured behind them.

Only read this message I have responded to, I assume a load of new centre forward claptrap by others beforehand?

We will be more assured at the back next season when players return.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Vlahovic can't header or hold the ball up. He would flop in England.

He's actually been exposed at Juve as far as Im concerned.

Good for dropping deep, switching and linking up play, has pace and quick feet. But nothing more than that. We already have that in Jesus.

Think a CF in addition to a wide man is possibly too much for our budget, especially if we are in for Rice and Caicedo. Do Raphinha/Diaby/Nelson + Zaha on a free upfront. Gives us enough depth for a long season to come.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Vlahovic play in very defensive system at Juve he was holding up the ball winning header fine at Fiorentina. not sure he having confidence issue at Juve and not Allegri player can't see them selling tho unless he push for move. Abraham also he could be available

NZgunner

When do the contracts expire of every Arsenal player?​

Goalkeepers​

Matt Turner: June 30, 2025

Aaron Ramsdale: June 30, 2025

Defenders​

William Saliba: June 30, 2024

Cedric Soares: June 30, 2024

Rob Holding: June 30, 2024

Takehiro Tomiyasu: June 30, 2025

Gabriel: June 30, 2025

Kieran Tierney: June 30, 2026

Ben White: June 30, 2026

Oleksandr Zinchenko: June 30, 2026

Midfielders​

Mohamed Elneny: June 30, 2023

Granit Xhaka: June 30, 2024

Bukayo Saka: June 30, 2024

Thomas Partey: June 30, 2025

Martin Ødegaard: June 30, 2025

Albert Sambi Lokonga: June 30, 2026

Emile Smith Rowe: June 30, 2026

Fabio Vieira: June 30, 2027

Forwards​

Reiss Nelson: June 30, 2023

Gabriel Martinelli: June 30, 2024

Gabriel Jesus: June 30, 2027

Eddie Nketiah: June 30, 2027

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

When do the contracts expire of every Arsenal player?​

Goalkeepers​

Matt Turner: June 30, 2025

Aaron Ramsdale: June 30, 2025

Defenders​

William Saliba: June 30, 2024

Cedric Soares: June 30, 2024

Rob Holding: June 30, 2024

Takehiro Tomiyasu: June 30, 2025

Gabriel: June 30, 2025

Kieran Tierney: June 30, 2026

Ben White: June 30, 2026

Oleksandr Zinchenko: June 30, 2026

Midfielders​

Mohamed Elneny: June 30, 2023

Granit Xhaka: June 30, 2024

Bukayo Saka: June 30, 2024

Thomas Partey: June 30, 2025

Martin Ødegaard: June 30, 2025

Albert Sambi Lokonga: June 30, 2026

Emile Smith Rowe: June 30, 2026

Fabio Vieira: June 30, 2027

Forwards​

Reiss Nelson: June 30, 2023

Gabriel Martinelli: June 30, 2024

Gabriel Jesus: June 30, 2027

Eddie Nketiah: June 30, 2027

Ramsdale, Gabriel, and Martinelli have all extended.

pettr

Looking at the players we have (very critically), based on where we stand currently and with Xhaka leaving, Tomi injured, and with Emile frozen by Arteta, surprisingly for me, the main issue we have now, seems central midfield:

Not including the players on loan, as I don't think any of them is to the level required to challenge for the Premier League, or they will like to move to a permanent team (e.g. Balogun).
Altogether up to 9 positions where we should upgrade if we want to challenge in England and Europe.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Interesting video here on squad building. He is right though, most of us do tend to think in the rigid 2 players for each position, one starter, one backup. I myself find it hard to break that thought process but he makes a lot of valid points.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Interesting video here on squad building. He is right though, most of us do tend to think in the rigid 2 players for each position, one starter, one backup. I myself find it hard to break that thought process but he makes a lot of valid points.

Saw this thread bumped and I was literally coming to post this exact video.

I think the line of thinking isn't helped by how Arteta uses the squad because all season there's been a clear XI mostly, Trossard has been the only one who's regularly came in and even then he was put straight on the bench once Jesus was fully fit. I want to see Trossard and Nelson really used more regularly not just waiting for injuries/suspensions for them to be brought in. In other positions it's not that straight forward, we're not gonna get someone competing with Ødegaard. In defence we can only hope Kiwior becomes good enough to challenge Gabriel or become a LB option. While in midfield in general we need arguably two starters as well as an alternative.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Looking at the players we have (very critically), based on where we stand currently and with Xhaka leaving, Tomi injured, and with Emile frozen by Arteta, surprisingly for me, the main issue we have now, seems central midfield:

PositionFirst ChoiceSecond ChoiceCover1
GKAaron RamsdaleMatt Turner
DLOleksandr Zinchenko
Takehiro Tomiyasu
DCLGabriel MagalhãesJakub KiwiorTakehiro Tomiyasu
DCRWilliam SalibaTakehiro Tomiyasu
DRBen WhiteTakehiro Tomiyasu
DMThomas ParteyJorginhoElneny
CMElneny
AMCMartin ØdegaardFábio Vieira
ESR
LWGabriel MartinelliLeandro TrossardESR
RWBukayo SakaNelson ? ESR
FWGabriel JesusBalo ?Eddie Nketiah

Not including the players on loan, as I don't think any of them is to the level required to challenge for the Premier League, or they will like to move to a permanent team (e.g. Balogun).
Altogether up to 9 positions where we should upgrade if we want to challenge in England and Europe.
I've made a few changes to this (see bold text). This is how our squad is right now & taking into consideration KT & Xhaka will leave. Nelson & Balo are the only uncertainties.

Links to Simons & the Turkish lad suggest we are the market for another ACM, so also question marks over Viera.

We have 4 clear squad requirements & a further 1 or 2 if any of Balo, Nelson, or Viera move on. Too much for one window ? We'll see.

pettr

I've made a few changes to this (see bold text). This is how our squad is right now & taking into consideration KT & Xhaka will leave. Nelson & Balo are the only uncertainties.

Links to Simons & the Turkish lad suggest we are the market for another ACM, so also question marks over Viera.

We have 4 clear squad requirements & a further 1 or 2 if any of Balo, Nelson, or Viera move on. Too much for one window ? We'll see.
Probably will get a bit more clarity when the transfer window opens in two weeks. Hopefully we will be able to get our main targets earlier. But yes, it looks we will need more than one window to fix all positions.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I gotta preface this by saying I've faith that we'll do a lot more than Sp**s did in terms of recruitment and improving depth but this is also a warning of how quickly an overachieving side can be brought down to earth again. This season our problem was depth largely. Midfield options dramatic drop in quality. Forward positions a bit better once Trossard came in but could do with a bit more. Defence Tomiyasu being unreliable might become a massive issue if we don't add there.

It's important that we get this window right not just improving the first team, i.e just swapping Xhaka for Rice but making sure we've got capable options to deal with the amount of games we'll have to play. In the video it points out how Sp**s brought in players like Janssen and Wimmer among others who had absolutely no impact on the first team. We've gotta be careful because we've spent quite a lot in bringing in Tavares and Lokonga who've got no futures here and Vieira had a very mediocre first season. The warning is that things can become stale pretty quickly tho I think we'll do more than enough this window. Rice and Caicedo would really freshen up the midfield while another couple of signings in other positons should help.

The point is you have to build and build properly.

NZgunner

the interesting thing to see next season will be the way we set up after all the transfers

when we were at our best this season and looking the most settled, we were quite asymmetrical

this was most noticeable at fullback, with Zinchenko on the left actually being seen more down the centre. This meant that Xhaka mostly drifted left, usually finding Martinelli even further out

on the right, White was more orthodox, and partnered with Saliba to initiate moves with a more right-handed bias. This gave Ødegaard the option to move centrally or further right to Saka

this also meant that we appeared to scramble a bit more when defending on the left when we lost possession

if Rice or Caicedo comes in for Xhaka, that will change how we need to play to get the best out of them - if we get both of them and take Partey out of the starting XI, the set-up might look mostly the same but with a more mobile Rice in Xhaka's position, perhaps being able to help more when scrambling on defence

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...Big Holding was next up, at €6 (giggity) 9 million.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I gotta preface this by saying I've faith that we'll do a lot more than Sp**s did in terms of recruitment and improving depth but this is also a warning of how quickly an overachieving side can be brought down to earth again. This season our problem was depth largely. Midfield options dramatic drop in quality. Forward positions a bit better once Trossard came in but could do with a bit more. Defence Tomiyasu being unreliable might become a massive issue if we don't add there.

It's important that we get this window right not just improving the first team, i.e just swapping Xhaka for Rice but making sure we've got capable options to deal with the amount of games we'll have to play. In the video it points out how Sp**s brought in players like Janssen and Wimmer among others who had absolutely no impact on the first team. We've gotta be careful because we've spent quite a lot in bringing in Tavares and Lokonga who've got no futures here and Vieira had a very mediocre first season. The warning is that things can become stale pretty quickly tho I think we'll do more than enough this window. Rice and Caicedo would really freshen up the midfield while another couple of signings in other positons should help.

The point is you have to build and build properly.

Yep. And actually I found this top comment on the video interesting:

"People like to point to Sp**s' spending and transfer business but their rate of successful academy graduates in recent years is absolutely abysmal compared to other big teams. That hurts their depth more than anything in my opinion."

I don't know if I'd say that this was their main problem, but it doesn't help. I think investing is important but Arteta also has to work on giving proper chances to our academy lads. Sure, it's not exactly easy but Wenger and even Emery found ways to incorporate our youth players; they were more natural at it than Arteta is, but it's also true that it could be something that comes with experience.

The question I always ask myself is; would Saka have been able to break into the team under Arteta the same way he did for Emery, I'm not so sure about that.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom