• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Numbers

New here, and just wondered if they were ever going to change the squad numbers, no problems with most of them, but. Numbers 2, 5, 6 are vacant. And Lauren, Toure and Campbell could fill those easily. Confused...

Jinn

Established Member
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Lauren will probably stay 12, as he hasn't done enough IMO to take any of those numbers mentioned. Toure probably should be our number 5.

Sol will stay number 23, as it was the number of his choosing.

lewdikris

Established Member
A new midfielder - if one is to be signed given the Ray Parlour situation - could easily be given the 5 shirt...

Swordy

The numbers 2, 5 and 6 hold about the same value as 44, 71 and 16 now, shirt numbers are irrelevant to most players now, with some opting to take a number like 17 over the chance for 8, because it's all about the squad rather than the first team, the shirts 1-11 no longer represent the first 11.

Soler

Established Member
Swordy said:
The numbers 2, 5 and 6 hold about the same value as 44, 71 and 16 now

#6 was Tony Adams' number, you just don't bandy about a number which is so respected at this club and give it to someone like Cygan. Kolo's earnt it.

thegreatbriton

I love Kolo, but he hasn't earn't six yet. Although great players have worn nearly every Arsenal number, Seaman 1, Wrighty 8, Merson 10, George 9, Brady 7, 6 is special and in my opinion should never be usd again.

Guns and Arses

Why can't the old squad members stick with their current numbers? I want to see Toure making the no.28 shirt famous worldwide.

Swordy

Mad Jens said:
Swordy said:
The numbers 2, 5 and 6 hold about the same value as 44, 71 and 16 now

#6 was Tony Adams' number, you just don't bandy about a number which is so respected at this club and give it to someone like Cygan. Kolo's earnt it.

I was more or less refering to clubs on a whole rather than just Arsenal in that.

Soler

Established Member
It'd be the same at a number of clubs. Milan won't just give some newcomer Maldini's number after he retires, etc.

Swordy

they may, look at Arsenal with Ian Wright.

Ian Wright Arsenal's top goalscorer ever leaves, and then his number is given straight to Freddie Ljungberg, barely anyone knows who he is, but he has the no.8 which Wrighty made famous... on the bright side, Ljungberg came on, everyone was wondering who he was, and he scores agaisnt Man Utd.

beanz

I'm not sure about this whole hero worship thing being taken a bit too far.
It's the natural order of things that when the old lion is seen off by the younger one, he takes over the responsibilities, protection of the pride, servicing all the cute lionesses e.t.c.
He then has a right to claim the No 6 shirt worn by the old lion!
Faultless logic if you're a lion! :?
My point being, that we should rightly venerate our legends and heroes, whilst still being pragmatic about their successors. :mrgreen:

gooner3

they may, look at Arsenal with Ian Wright.

Ian Wright Arsenal's top goalscorer ever leaves, and then his number is given straight to Freddie Ljungberg, barely anyone knows who he is, but he has the no.8 which Wrighty made famous... on the bright side, Ljungberg came on, everyone was wondering who he was, and he scores agaisnt Man Utd.
ian wright didnt retire at arsenal and adams did

EJub

Swordy said:
The numbers 2, 5 and 6 hold about the same value as 44, 71 and 16 now, shirt numbers are irrelevant to most players now, with some opting to take a number like 17 over the chance for 8, because it's all about the squad rather than the first team, the shirts 1-11 no longer represent the first 11.

I more or less agree - I think the numbers are less relevant, except I think when you get to numbers as high as the 30s you aren't always looked at as first team material.

With that logic, does anyone think Aliadiere would want to move up to the 16 shirt?
The shirt number are relevant enough that Aliadiere would not take 2 or 5.

1 Jens
2 Lauren
3 Ash
4 Pat
5 Kolo
6 In memory of TA for 10 years, much like Bobby Moore 4 WHUFC.
7 Pires
8 Freddie
9 Jose
10 Den
11 Van Persie
12 Stack (Even if on loan)
13 Taylor
14 God
15 Ray
16 Aladiere
17 Edu
18 Cygan
19 Gilberto
20 Senderos
21 Pennant
22 Clichy
23 Sol
24 Bentley (Loan)
25 Fabregas
26 Lupoli

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I've never heard any statement from the club to the effect that the number six had been retured?

I would like some proof please.. :?:

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom