• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The 2016/17 transfer budget

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Just for the life of me cannot see us spend 40-60m on 3-4 players which is what is needed to make us a force again just from the squad perspective (leaving out the other issues we have with Wenger). We need to go for players like De Bryne, John Stones etc. (not saying those two - but that quality/price level).

Instead we (Wenger) will try to do it on the cheap, except maybe one high quality signing for 30-40m, and then some cheaper players thrown into the mix. I predict we will not buy more than max. 3 players and spend no more than 60m which is not nearly enough given our "prudence" on the transfer market last couple of years.

Arsenal has become the club that doesn't spend but bleeds its supporters dry through high ticket prices. What do we end up with? Well, you could see that in the stands on Thursday. Empty seats and a 2-0 win over West Brom. as some kind of good performance...

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The best we'll do is spend about £50m net, and even that's unrealistic looking at our likely budget.

The likes of Cross and Wilson reckon our budget is usually £70m, that's nothing these days. However, looking at the players who'll likely leave we should have more.

GK: Ospina will leave, that's £5m.
DF: Debuchy and Gibbs could leave, that's another £5-10m.
MF: Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky will leave for nothing, Ox could go - £20-30m.
FW: Walcott and/or Campbell could leave, that's £20-40m.

Plus the likes of Szczesny, Martinez, Jenkinson, Sanogo, Akpom etc who will probably leave.

Our budget with sales should be £150m, we'll spend half that.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Exactly we cannot go into another season without a top striker , I don't care be it a couple of mill or 50 mill .

We probably won't get a top striker though, most are taken.

We might have to pay over the odds for a potentially top striker, like Lukaku.

Most likely, nothing happens or we sign some kid who is years away from doing the business and are left relying on Welbeck and Giroud anyway.

indy23

Honestly, the boss himself said, don't expect much. So I'm not expecting him to all of sudden break philosophy and buy. Trust me he will use the, boys and girls the Euros were on and nobody was selling. Meanwhile klopp, pep, mou will all be reinforcing. That Mahrez link is such bs. He aint paying. Wilshere = new signing. And maybe a new underwhelming cf is what we will get. Stop asking for top tier talents like fekir cuz we aint that big of a club.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Cech
Bellerin, Chambers
Mertesacker Koscielny, Gabriel
Monreal
Coquelin
Cazorla, Ramsey, ElNeny
Özil, Wilshere
Iwobi
Alexis, Welbeck
Giroud

GK, CB, LB, DM, RW, ST needed.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I would give my left nut for a young striker with potential. Look at United, I'd rather watch Martial and Rashford trail and error because you can see the potential beauty. I look at Giroud and Walcott and there's nothing.

Mastadon

Established Member
Wenger spent 65m net the season we signed Sanchez that was decent. I think we can break that if the signings are face down ass up for him like Sanchez and Özil were. The problem is when the target club doesn't want to sell you cannot count on Wenger to go over the top and make an offer they can't refuse.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Henry hit the nail on the head with the need to invest to interest the fans again. We have sat by for years with other teams overtaking us through pure investment, it is now our chance to do the same and we are in a very good position to do so. Wenger has kept faith in certain players and it hasn't got us anywhere but stagnation so its time to add quality, not wipe the slate clean, but add a little bit more. I think the sales are just as important as spending in my opinion. Brave decisions need to be made, youth needs to be promoted and big names need to go:

Out: Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Walcott, Gibbs (if unwilling to play second fiddle), Campbell, Chambers (loan)

In: Xhaka, Jenkinson, CB, LB (If Gibbs leaves), promote Willock, ST.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
There's unlikely to be any bargain had this summer with the euros, the massive investment coming from utd, city, chelsea, Sp**s, the rest of the premiership will also inflate prices, the Euros always drive up prices... watch Reus win it for Germany. Whatever the budget is I'd doubt we'll spend it whatever its size, unlikely to be above 40-50 million IMO. We'll play moneybal with the budget and see what pops up... probably nothing as per the the said reasons. We might get one player in that may or may not improve the team ala Gabriel, Flamini, Debuchy.

My only hope that I'm wrong stems from the Henry comments which give the impression Wenger is looking to spend. What is insane is that we were in a similar situation to this before but Sp**s ####ed up their Bale money and we got Özil on the last, hopefully the club has a little more sense this time around and tries to get in players early.

CJJ

Established Member
While i agree we need to spend, i don't want to buy for the sake of buying. United has spend like freaking crazy on what we all thought was top quality players and honestly it didnt do them any good. I think cohesion is severely underrated these days.

Having a big chest doesn't mean we should just mindlessly spend it all, but i do agree that we need AND deserve 2 big signings this summer. So i would expect we atleast go +80m.

Saikung

budget is not the issue. arsenal is like an rpg character with 0 points in bartering yet always haggling for less and less until the npc just doesnt want to talk to you anymore.

seriously they can have the highest transfer fee ever in a season but it's probably because they bought a couple of players.....not because they spent 100million on a player

Gervais

Established Member
I could see us spending quite a bit in the summer actually. They need to win back fans and throwing money around will do that.

Gazidis knows this more than anyone; money will be spent, regardless of what Wenger wants imo.

General

Established Member
A lot of this money is reserved to dig us out of a hole when we inevitably fall out of the CL. With Wenger possibly calling it quits soon don't expect any serious transfer activity. We've seen with United how £200m can get washed down the drain pretty quickly and still end up with a shyte team.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
The problem in buying is ideally you want a clear style of play so then you can look at the market and buy the players to suit those needs.

We don't have style of play, Wenger is literally pissing in the wind, so without a clear vision we're just going to resort to buying whatever cast offs elite teams don't want regardless of their position or qualities they offer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I dont think for a minute we will be spending any of the cash mountain. Its growing for a reason known only to Kronke, and it wont be used on players, if that was the intention it wouldn't be so big.

If we end up spending net £70m I want it all to go on a CF, all this bollox about none available, pay the money and they are available. Ideally we will buy a CF and a goal scoring winger but as I say CF is top top priority, its the biggest single factor holding this team back.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Honestly it doesn't really matter how much money is available, 100, 200 or 300M. Wenger will spend maximum 50M net this summer and leave us with gaping holes in the squad as ever.

tim08

CF - £40-50m
CM - £30-35M
CB - £20 -25M

Total= £90-110M

There will be significant outgoings such as Per, Debuchy, Campbell, Chez, whilst the likes of Walcott and AOC if sold will bring in relatively high fees. Roughly 250k will also be trimmed off the wage bill with Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky leaving.

Add in the insane increase in TV money, Champions League qualification, the Puma sponsorship deal and there is absolutely no reason why a CF, CM and CB should be the BARE MINIMUM we should go for over the summer.

Its completely attainable considering our financial resources, you just need a manager who is prepared to be ruthless with underperformers, aggressive in targeting those he wants and be prepared to take a calculated risk when push comes to shove, instead of taking the safe and easy route as usual.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom