• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Clrnc said:
True Gooner said:
Who could we realistically sign in midfield for £30m?
30m can sign a whole lot of players

Toulalan, De Rossi, 1 1/2 Melos...etc
You can't sign a player who doesn't want to move, so De Rossi is out of the question. Melo is gone to Juve. Lyon won't lose both Toulalan and Benzema in the same window (and he's not what we need).

We might have a shout at Sissoko since Juve signed Melo, but again they have no obligation to sell him and he might wanna stay and fight for his place for a season or two.

I think Diarra and Sissoko are shaping up as the two most likely big name alternatives. I also doubt that we'll sign any of them though.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Toulalan is certainly what we need, perfect partner for Cesc. Match-made in heaven.

I think Lyon will sell him if we bid 20m+ for him. They have alot of targets they want to buy, after selling Benzema.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
DREVAK said:
I wonder why wouldn't Toulalan be what this Arsenal team needs?
Because he's not the kind of ridiculously hard-working, no-nonsense energy packet I'd like to partner Cesc with. Not very good at tackling either. And while he's sporting a good passing range he creates absolutely nothing, despite being surrounded by this rumour of being a deep-lying playmaker. Having a good passing range does not mean that you're a playmaker. He is a ridiculously good player for a team playing like Lyon does, though. It's more of a case of being the wrong player for us.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
May be not our priority...:?

How about Luis Fabiano?

Milan offered 12.5m but Sevilla wants 18m

Could we snatch him for around 15m?(Gazidis involvement needed this time) ;)

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
We could offer 18m and make a profit :cool: (if we were also getting a DM and had money to burn, of course). Can't imagine him in an Arsenal shirt at all though....

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Klaus Daimler said:
DREVAK said:
Because he's not the kind of ridiculously hard-working, no-nonsense energy packet I'd like to partner Cesc with. Not very good at tackling either. And while he's sporting a good passing range he creates absolutely nothing, despite being surrounded by this rumour of being a deep-lying playmaker. Having a good passing range does not mean that you're a playmaker. He is a ridiculously good player for a team playing like Lyon does, though. It's more of a case of being the wrong player for us.
Are you sure you are saying about Toulalan?

Not hard working? Not good at tackling?

I suggest you watch him more

fabo

6.51 / 10
Toulalan or Makoun would be better than what we have. The list of CM's who would improve us is endless.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Clrnc, I suggest you do the same then, instead of reading what is written about him on message boards where most people have barely seen him play. I didn't say he wasn't hard-working, I said he doesn't have the ridiculous workrate that, say, Flamini possessed when he was here. And that's what I'd like to see if we're about to hang on to a two-man central midfield. And, no, Toulalan most definitely isn't a great tackler; when he does tackle it's generally to his disadvantage. But first and foremost he isn't as mobile and energetic as I'd like a DM to be for us. A great player in his own right but he's also sharing a lot of workload on the midfield with Källström.

fabo: I feel that it's not a matter of getting a better player than Song or Denilson is, but rather a matter of improving the team as a whole. I don't think there currently are that many defensive mids that would do that. And Makoun is an attacking player. I don't see where we'd play him.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
True, but there are people who are sceptical towards whether he's good enough for us. I think he could do a job to be honest. He's a better choice than Alonso, Toulalan and Melo in my opinion, but all that really says is that he isn't a central mid and that he's more physical than most players we're linked with.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Klaus Daimler said:
Clrnc, I suggest you do the same then, instead of reading what is written about him on message boards where most people have barely seen him play. I didn't say he wasn't hard-working, I said he doesn't have the ridiculous workrate that, say, Flamini possessed when he was here. And that's what I'd like to see if we're about to hang on to a two-man central midfield. And, no, Toulalan most definitely isn't a great tackler; when he does tackle it's generally to his disadvantage. But first and foremost he isn't as mobile and energetic as I'd like a DM to be for us. A great player in his own right but he's also sharing a lot of workload on the midfield with Källström.
He is not as hardworking as Flamini, but he isn't as bad as you are saying out. I would say his work rate is certainly above average. He often chases down ball and defend, which is his strong points. I'd say his tackling is fairly good as well. I have watched alot of his matches, but mainly with France and thats what my impression is based on. I don't think he tackles its generally to his disadvantage because that would mean he is injured or didn't win the tackle which isn't true most of the time. He tackles cleanly and breaks up play.

TomasCR

Established Member
I just want the one quality DM we have been a good while dreaming of, everyone to stay fit for all the games and a nice house for me, but I've already said that!

If we/Wenger/the board/Dules/whoever can do this, we will end up kissing at least 2 trophies at the end of next season.

Pies

Klaus Daimler said:
DREVAK said:

I beg to differ with that, Toulalan is one of the most hardworking players around. I remember a lot of his teammates at OL and France talking about how much ground he covers in a match, and from seeing a lot of him over the years I agree with them. And I personally think he is a fine tackler as well and does a great job at breaking up play. I think he is great positionally and always looks like he is available for the ball. He regularly plays in a 442 for France and I think he could easily slot in along Cesc in our midfield.

I've always rated Toulalan and followed him for a long time now I think he is a fantastic player. I really don't see us getting him though, and OL have already lost several big players can't see them letting him go for a decent price.

Floating

Established Member
Pies said:
Klaus Daimler said:
DREVAK said:

I beg to differ with that, Toulalan is one of the most hardworking players around. I remember a lot of his teammates at OL and France talking about how much ground he covers in a match, and from seeing a lot of him over the years I agree with them. And I personally think he is a fine tackler as well and does a great job at breaking up play. I think he is great positionally and always looks like he is available for the ball. He regularly plays in a 442 for France and I think he could easily slot in along Cesc in our midfield.

I've always rated Toulalan and followed him for a long time now I think he is a fantastic player. I really don't see us getting him though, and OL have already lost several big players can't see them letting him go for a decent price.

France have been playing a 4-2-3-1 for a while now, usually with Toulalan and L. Diarra as the CM's. A small, but important distinction!

I have no doubt, though, that Toulalan could fit in a 4-3-3 like so:

- - - - - - Toulalan - - - - -
- - Fabregas - - Nasri - -

That wouldn't be half bad!

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Yeah, France are playing with two defensive-minded central midfielders too. Like I said, it's not the same thing. He's got Vieira in the national team, Källström (when he's not improperly used as defensive cover due to injuries) in Lyon... He could most definitely do the job in a 4-3-3, but we haven't showed any signs of moving to a different type of system as of yet.

progman07

Established Member
floating said:
France have been playing a 4-2-3-1 for a while now, usually with Toulalan and L. Diarra as the CM's. A small, but important distinction!

I didn't see Toulalan, so it's a genuine question, but is he aggressive, strong and mobile? Because that's what we lack. Denilson can also pass around, Song can tackle, but we lack something else.

Pies

floating said:
Pies said:
Klaus Daimler said:

The last 2 matches for France were in 442.
But he has played in a 442 for France that's what I'm saying. And the 4231 they've played is very close to a 442 at times anyway. I distinctly remember the Lithuania match and Liyundula was playing very close to a striker and Gourcuff was floating even out on the right a lot. But that's really here nor there,he can obviously play in a 442 and I don't see us getting him anyway.

Pies

Klaus Daimler said:
Yeah, France are playing with two defensive-minded central midfielders too. Like I said, it's not the same thing. He's got Vieira in the national team, Källström (when he's not improperly used as defensive cover due to injuries) in Lyon... He could most definitely do the job in a 4-3-3, but we haven't showed any signs of moving to a different type of system as of yet.

Not trying to have a go but seriously mate, Vieria has barely featured for France over the last few years, and Kallstrom has rarely played in central midfield for them... Makoun and Lass Diarra have been the main partners for him.

I don't see any reason why he can't play in a 442, and he has proved that he is fine in that formation.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom