• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Theo Walcott's Contract Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

infineon

Established Member
It is about money but I don't think it is about financial gain. Lets be honest, Walcott is a marketing persons dream and he has the potential to earn more in personal endorsements during his career than playing wages. I think money is important to him because it would signify a commitment by the club to him and confidence. Arsenal are not going to bench a player earning 90-100k who is aged 23-24 so if Walcott got that offer he would know that he is definitely in the clubs future plans. At 75k tho, Walcott is prolly thinking, "well, Arshavin gets paid a similar and I have seen how club management have treated him, do I really want to sign for 75k and then get sidelined?" I think Walcott genuinely wants to make a good football career but he needs the club to be on board with that idea.

dpt49

Established Member
Walcott is arguably our best player, he is certainly our best finisher, he has started his first game up front and is already better than Giroud.

Selling him would be a disaster.

Firstly we have never replaced our best players, that have left, with better players or even similar quality players.

Secondly even if we wanted to replace him with a similar quality player it would cost at least double what we would get for him in the next transfer window.

Thirdly an incoming player would take ages to adapt to playing in this country, assuming he comes from another league.

Fourthly, and most importantly, if we sell him to Man u or Chelsea it will be an admission that we are a second rate feeder club for the top teams in the PL.

To use a well worn Wenger phrase, "he will be like a new signing."

In Walcott's case it will be one of the most important signings Wenger has ever made.

Just give him what he wants.

ArsenalinCH

I'm also beginning to think Theo will sign, although earlier I didn't.

Side note, I was thinking of getting a year subscription to Arsenal player for a friend for Christmas. However, I noticed it said the membership deal expired May 2013. Does that mean I'd only get 5 months of Arsenal player, or 5 months of ticket availability? Would I be able to access Arsenal player for a full calendar year, or just until May?

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Getting Arsenal player is a waste of money plus you can find all the videos on youtube or daily motion
If Arsenal players started showing live reserve or youth games then Its probably worth getting but not now

leo_ense

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9754360/Theo-Walcott-resumes-talks-as-Arsenal-manager-Arsène-Wenger-prepares-to-keep-young-guns-at-the-Emirates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rates.html</a>

leo_ense

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-have-agreed-new-deals-with-alex-1496243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ex-1496243</a>

Talks for the first time since August.

blaze_of_glory

hmm.. positive reports at least. But the cynic in me says that we heard these sorts of things right before RvP left. Hopefully its not the same situation.

leo_ense

Established Member
From what I've read the wages are:

Wilshere - 85k (top bracket earner)

Ramsey - 60k (tier 2)

Chamberlain - 52k (tier 3)

Gibbs - 52k (tier 3)

Jenkinson - 25k (tier 4)

Keep in mind these aren't 100% reliable but I imagine some of them are right. Wilshere will definitely be one of the top earners at the club after his new contract but I'm not sure about the others' figures.

mo50

Established Member
Obviously we'll never know if those figures are accurate but the media gets it pretty close. With that in mind Gibbs, Chamberlain and Ramsey shouldn't be anywhere near 50k.

Even Wilshere at 85k and becoming one of our highest players is ridiculous considering he's achieved next to nothing. In 3 years when he starts scoring goals, making appearances at world cups and improves his overall game he'll be well out of our wage range.

edit: you know what, as long as we've tied them down I'm not the one paying them the wages, Kroenke and co, are so good on them.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
i read Chambo's will be at 60k in the final year o fhis 5 year contract.

All things considered, not a bad deal from Arsenal and if he keeps developing as he is, we have room to push it even higher.

blaze_of_glory

I'd be surprised if Ox ended up getting less than Ramsey. He's arguably established himself in the team more than Ramsey has.

dyeruz

Established Member
Positive news on the Walcott front, he frustrates and amazes in equal..but I'd rather have him on our side..rather him than Sturridge *poor Liverpool*

evoh_1

Established Member
Wilshere on that contract will be out the door on his next contract as we won't have anywhere to move when he has actually developed into a top player.

Ox and Ramsey if they develop will again want how much? where is the room to give them a contract when they are at a level we want to be when we have given them inflated wages for ages while the develop.

The merry go round madness with wages will never stop if these are teh figure we are paying out to 21 year old potential and 19 year potential players. How about we stop talkign about not being able to afford top class player wages when we are dishing out contracts to everyone without care.

VancouverCanuck

From the article:
Oxlade-Chamberlain, 19, has agreed a new five-year deal on a sliding scale which could rise up to £60,000-a-week
It implies that his wage will contain bonus clauses that are probably based on future performances. If that's the case, as long as the performance clauses are reasonable, it's a good deal for both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom