• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashybashy86

I like his passes through the midfield. We often pass the ball around at the back for too long, then Luiz attempts a long, hopeful pass.

I'm interested to see how we set up. He seems like he can do both Ceballos' and Xhaka's roles, so I'm not sure about them as a midfield 3. If we are keeping Ceballos, I assume it's for squad depth and Coutinho will be the attacking/creative mid.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
See where you`re coming form even though I really want Partey. Our problem is that we have so many areas we have to improve. One game our defenders will make awful individual mistakes and people will say we have to buy new defenders. The next game the lack of power and pace in midfield will leave us exposed and a player like Partey seems an obvious choice. And then you have games like yesterday where our lack of creativity becomes painfully apparent and people wth good reason say we should target Coutinho, Grealish or the likes.

For sure, we have lots of areas we need to address. My question would be: which area can you address that takes you up the table the quickest? I'd say the answer is scoring more goals. If you can score 3-4 goals a game against the smaller teams you'll finish in or near the top 4, even if your defence is bad. Just look at Chelsea, their defence is terrible but they can score and they're in 3rd place.

We have the players you need to score goals, we just don't create any chances for them. So overall i'd say the most effective change you could make in one summer is to make the team create more chances. So my doubt is this, is Partey for 45m an efficient use of limited resources if the main goal is to create more chances? I'm not sure.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Noticed yesterday Grealish go down very if he join here he shouldn't expecting refs give him fouls. They hate us.

But now Villa are all but safe "thanks to us" they'll ask lot of money for Grealish.

Think it’s more about the player than the team, Grealish is honestly Hazard level at drawing fouls.

It would translate here immediately even with a ref bias. Think Lacazette is the cleverest player we have at drawing fouls although he’s a level below the likes of Wilf, Grealish and Hazard at it.

Hugely underrated skill in modern football, especially if you’re playing teams like Liverpool and City who rely on rotational fouling in big games.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Think it’s more about the player than the team, Grealish is honestly Hazard level at drawing fouls.

It would translate here immediately even with a ref bias. Think Lacazette is the cleverest player we have at drawing fouls although he’s a level below the likes of Wilf, Grealish and Hazard at it.

Hugely underrated skill in modern football, especially if you’re playing teams like Liverpool and City who rely on rotational fouling in big games.

I was listening to Pat Nevin talk about this after Souness's comments on Grealish. He was saying it's all about where you draw the foul. If you're winning fouls on the halfway line you're not doing anyone any good, you're just getting kicked. If you're getting them in the final third then you're doing damage.

So in terms of Grealish I wonder if there's any data on exactly where he's winning his fouls.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I was listening to Pat Nevin talk about this after Souness's comments on Grealish. He was saying it's all about where you draw the foul. If you're winning fouls on the halfway line you're not doing anyone any good, you're just getting kicked. If you're getting them in the final third then you're doing damage.

So in terms of Grealish I wonder if there's any data on exactly where he's winning his fouls.

Yeah that’s a good point but tbh I don’t think there’s a real downside to it. Just by totting up the fouls you increase the chances of getting opponents carded.

Closer to goal is money though with Grealish compared to Wilf because he’s so good at set pieces.

It’s not the sexiest way to improve but when you have someone so elite at getting opponents in trouble and at set pieces which we’re both sh*te at, even removing his open play abilities I think we’d go up a few levels.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Depends on the plans of Arteta though. Are we going to continue with the 343, going back to 4231 or finally trying 433?

We obviously need more ballers in general though. Watching guys like Laca, Auba, Martinelli, Eddie, etc play Wengerball is horrendous viewing.
Agree it depends on formation, but in terms of where we have the biggest upside it has to in a creative attacker that adds goals and assists. We have shown that 3-4-3 is a formation which could work relatively well from a defensive perspective but we lack the keys to unlocking sitting teams. I’d prioritize a Benrahma or Depay over Partey as most important signing. They would both work well as AM in a 4-2-3-1 imo (small sample).

Partey or someone in the mold of him is crucial if we want to move to 4-3-3 though.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I get that it’s good to have someone who draws fouls. Like to watch him play as well. My biggest issues with Grealish is his output and his position(s).

He has 6+6 this season and had 6+6 and 3+5 respectively when they made the play-offs in Championship. I don’t think it’s good enough. He’s predominantly played LW and AM as If

Which takes me to my second point. I’d consider him as a LCM in a 4-3-3, but given he’s played very few games in that position I’m hesitant as to why.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I get that it’s good to have someone who draws fouls. Like to watch him play as well. My biggest issues with Grealish is his output and his position(s).

He has 6+6 this season and had 6+6 and 3+5 respectively when they made the play-offs in Championship. I don’t think it’s good enough. He’s predominantly played LW and AM as If

Which takes me to my second point. I’d consider him as a LCM in a 4-3-3, but given he’s played very few games in that position I’m hesitant as to why.

I think he’d go up a level with a better quality of player around him, he’s underperformed his xA this year and you look at some of his attacking teammates and they’re plumbers to a man.

I think he’s a great creator it’s just not working for the Villa teammates he has. For example this year in the PL he’s:

• 2nd in key passes
  • 3rd for passes into penalty area
  • 2nd for shot creating actions
The other part of his game I like is his carrying distance, it’s something none of our players are natural at doing, in central midfield we miss it and Pepe can’t do it out wide.

This year he’s first for progressive carrying distance, he might not get a shedload of goals and assists but he’ll raise our overall floor significantly and players around him will definitely improve.

He did start out in midfield this year but their manager realised he could affect play much more in a more advanced position on the left wing.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

A Partey/Guendouzi swap is most likely imo. We’ve obviously not been playing him because if he gets injured then bye bye transfer.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Don't think we'll sign him. The rumors on him seem to have gone very quiet
That`s probably good news. The longer it goes without him signing a new contract with them the more likely his departure gets, and at the moment we look his most likely destination should he move.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

A.Madrid won't accept any swap deal if Arsenal want Partey they have to pay his release clause.

I guess this is the kinda deal where they might have to make a call to Kroenke, if he gives the green light they might get the funds, if he doesn't they have to find a different player.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If club really want Partey then time to show some ambition and pay his 50m release clause just like Chelsea with Werner now we acting like Liverpool and then someone else come and activate his release clause we should act fast or move on to other targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams

Latest posts

Top Bottom