• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal FC - Tuesday January 22, 8pm

RC8

Established Member
arsenaltottenhamcarlingxr8.png

They are playing for a UEFA Cup spot. We are playing in order to beat our local rivals with our youth and humiliate them at their ground once again.

They will play their first team, and if I was Ramos I would do the same. If he wants to be in Europe next season, then he needs to. If I was Wenger, it's another story. We are doing well in the league, but we can't afford to get more injuries. van Persie being out for so long is a huge blow, and if we lost Cesc, Rosicky, or Hleb for the next couple of weeks due to an injury, then we would in all likeliness drop vital points. The Carling Cup should remain a cup for the youngsters, and ultimately, it is theirs to win or lose.

Maybe the inclusion of one or two members of the first team due to Eboué's and Song's absence, Diarra's panic issues which led him out of the team, or Djourou's injury, could be considered acceptable. But more than that would be far too risky.

Let's see what our young guns can do. Come on Arsenal!

Remember the first leg finished 1-1 at Ashburton Grove, and that if we are stuck at 0-0 AFTER extra time (which is when the away goal rule counts), then they will win. If we draw 1-1 then we will go to penalties.

Mostarac

Established Member
Including too many first team players could possibly turn out to be problematic if they get injured, but there should be an balance, sending out a team with 2 first team players for example is just asking to lose 3-0 or 4-0 considering that Tottenham will play their full team. I for one, would not like that to happen and I think Wenger will not allow that to happen.

sesquioxide

I think we should put Adebayor on the bench. Can't think of a better way to terrify them than to have him on the teamsheet somewhere.

Biggus

Established Member
RC8 said:
The Carling Cup should remain a cup for the youngsters, and ultimately, it is theirs to win or lose.

Totally agree RC. We must never- I repeat never- be reduced to Tottenham's level in seeing this tin pot as such a desirable achievement that we must throw our full might at it. Let the youngsters have a go, they have nothing to lose. If they do go out it will be to a full strength Sp**s side and it will be valuable experience, but if they triumph (again) over them......:wink:
Whereas they have everything to lose, what will their morale be like if they lose in the CC semifinal (again) to a bunch of kids? their form will suffer.

Don't forget that these kids have played/will play in more high pressure games than the Sp**s first teamers have/will.

invisibleman18

Established Member
God's Son said:
2-2 draw. We will go through on away goals.

Except there's no away goals in the Carling Cup. At least, I assume that's still the case. Remember last season exactly that happened. A 2-2 draw away followed by a 1-1 draw at the Emirates and we then went to extra time.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Knowing that Djourou is out for another few weeks, and Gallas won't be risked, I'd assume we might see Hoyte and Senderos in the center with Sagna at RB. Gilberto could have been an option, but with Diarra leaving I expect him to play in the center of the midfield. Because we're a bit short, I think Randall might get another start, or possibly Gibbs.

----------------------- Fabianski ---------------------

--- Sagna ---- Hoyte --- Senderos --- Traore --

---- Randall --- Gilberto -- Denilson -- Diaby

--------------- Walcott -------- Bendtner -----------

Mannone
Gavin Hoyte
Gibbs
Fabregas
Eduardo

MDGoonah41

Established Member
invisibleman18 said:
God's Son said:
2-2 draw. We will go through on away goals.

Excep there's no away goals in the Carling Cup. At least, I assume that's still the case. Remember last season exactly that happened. A 2-2 draw away followed by a 1-1 draw at the Emirates and we then went to extra time.

Away goals count, but not till the end of extra time. So if it's 2-2 after 90 minutes, they play another 30. If it's still tied, we win on away goals. It only gets to a shootout if it's 1-1 after 120 minutes.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Ahh right. That's interesting, wonder why away goals don't count until after extra time. Not really fair as the away team in the 2nd leg get half an hour extra to score another away goal. Why would it go to shootout if it's 0-0 though? Wouldn't they win on away goals? Surely it's only a shootout if it's still 1-1.

RC8

Established Member
invisibleman18 said:
Ahh right. That's interesting, wonder why away goals don't count until after extra time. Not really fair as the away team in the 2nd leg get half an hour extra to score another away goal. Why would it go to shootout if it's 0-0 though? Wouldn't they win on away goals? Surely it's only a shootout if it's still 1-1.

Read the last paragraph of my opening post.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
ahh right, I was thinking of something else. Yeah, 0-0 they win. But we'll score at least 1, we always do.

ThaSaltCracka

too bad Vela is still on loan. This could have been an interesting game to see him in.
I agree completely with Biggus and RC8 here. It would be hilarious to see our young boys bounce them. I

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
----------------------- Fabianski ---------------------

--- Sagna ---- Hoyte --- Senderos --- Traore --

---- Randall --- Gilberto -- Denilson -- Diaby

--------------- Walcott -------- Bendtner -----------

Surely at home Sp*rs would be far too strong for that side.

True Gooner

Established Member
If we win we brag, if we lose pretend we dont care about the CC anyway...

Seriously though, I think we can win if we play to our BEST any half hearted performance will be punished...

Dez

I have no interest in winning this cup. However I do not want to lose to Sp**s. Theres no bragging rights involved for them, only for us. "Woopty-****ing-do you beat our reserves with your first XI, ON YOUR FOURTH TRY." Though I would love to make the decade.

They probably won't win anyway, theres some evil voodoo curse which somehow makes it utterly impossible for them to beat us.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom