• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL | Arsenal vs Ludogorets | Wednesday 19th October 19:45

What will the result of the game be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Same team as the weekend but Coq in for Xhaka. Smash them in the first 30mins like we did Basel and sub Sanchez for Perez at halftime.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
For people who think that Arsenal don't need to rest players, what is the rationale behind that? I genuinely don't understand.

Given that Arsenal's main aim is to win the league. When is there going to be a better chance other than Ludogorets at home? There's no certainty whatsoever that the group will be won before the last group game.

Rest is clearly required because Wenger himself said that the players were jaded against Burnley.

When people discuss this type of thing, it's almost as if resting players guarantees dropped points and as if playing the first 11 guarantees a win. Neither is true at all, there are some very good players on the bench who could use a run of games strung together and now is the time. With the players having become jaded against Burnley, two very winnable CL games, an EFL game, two very winnable league games all together, and with two huge league games and a massive CL games after that. The fixture schedule is looking to be working quite well in Arsenal's favour right now - they got Chelsea at a perfect time for once and had some luck in the last two games.

I'm pretty confident there will be 2-4 changes in addition to Ospina. There are some players in the squad who need to be kept involved and motivated and they need to keep the pressure on the players who are starting.

skip spence

For people who think that Arsenal don't need to rest players, what is the rationale behind that? I genuinely don't understand.

Given that Arsenal's main aim is to win the league. When is there going to be a better chance other than Ludogorets at home? There's no certainty whatsoever that the group will be won before the last group game.
Pretty much agree to this. I don't even know what country this Ludo something are from and don't know how strong they are. But our first team should be able to handle a few changes no? Maybe Perez for Sanchez, Coq for Cazorla, Ox for Iwobi, Gibbs for Monreal.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Pretty much agree to this. I don't even know what country this Ludo something are from and don't know how strong they are. But our first team should be able to handle a few changes no? Maybe Perez for Sanchez, Coq for Cazorla, Ox for Iwobi, Gibbs for Monreal.

I understand the need to rotate, but you can't have wholesale change either, 2 field players and Ospina are ok. Anything more may threaten the team balance and chemistry.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I just think we have so many problems with injuries why wouldn't we rest players when we have so many options.

If it gets to January and our only fit striking options are Giroud and Sanogo I can guarantee everyone will be moaning about lack of rotation. Every other big club does it, so why not us?

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I'd take a bit of rest for Kosciely and Alexis. Perhaps Cazorla too, now that Xhaka looks to be banned for three games.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Strongest team needs to play, the regulars can rest next week during the EFL Cup.

Reminds me of people saying it was okay to rest players last season because it's "only" Zagreb and Olympiakos.

Rocky

I'd take a bit of rest for Kosciely and Alexis. Perhaps Cazorla too, now that Xhaka looks to be banned for three games.

You can make a case for so many players really.
Koscielny can always use a rest and Gabriel is better than he's been made out to be, played well against Forest.
Cazorla will be needed at CM with Xhaka and Ramsey, out so Elneny could come in for him (while Coq could use another run out as he'll start the next league game).
Monreal isn't a spring chicken and Gibbs is good enough to deputise.
Sanchez is crucial, has played loads of football, and Perez is due a chance and looked hungry against Forest.
Ox looked good in the last game and either Walcott or Iwobi could use a rest.

If Wenger is bold I could easily imagine 6 sensible changes.

Ospina -> Cech
Gabriel -> Koscielny
Gibbs -> Monreal
Elneny -> Cazorla
Ox -> Iwobi
Lucas -> Alexis

carlito'sway

Established Member
You can make a case for so many players really.
Koscielny can always use a rest and Gabriel isn't as bad as he's been made out.
Cazorla will be needed at CM with Xhaka and Ramsey ,out so Elneny could come in for him (while Coq could use another run out as he'll start the next league game).
Monreal isn't a spring chicken and Gibbs is good enough to deputise.
Sanchez is crucial, has played loads of football, and Perez is due a chance and looked hungry against Forest.
Ox looked good in the last game and either Walcott or Iwobi could use a rest.

If Wenger is bold I could easily imagine 6 sensible changes.

Ospina -> Cech
Gabriel -> Koscielny
Gibbs -> Monreal
Elneny -> Cazorla
Ox -> Iwobi
Lucas -> Alexis

That is not bold, that is just suicidal..... You don't do wholesale changes in a squad unless it is a meaningless game (like the FA Cup). With 6 changes, you basically lose all sense of cohesion, chemistry and partnership and just taking chances at this point.

Rocky

Strongest team needs to play, the regulars can rest next week during the EFL Cup.

Reminds me of people saying it was okay to rest players last season because it's "only" Zagreb and Olympiakos.

Reminds me of "We need Alexis, can't trust the Ox away at Norwich" -> game drawn, Alexis out for 8 weeks, battered at Southampton in a bottle job, 10 points taken from 9 games between 13th January and 5th March 2016, Leicester win the league.

Last edited:

Rocky

That is not bold, that is just suicidal..... You don't do wholesale changes in a squad unless it is a meaningless game (like the FA Cup). With 6 changes, you basically lose all sense of cohesion, chemistry and partnership and just taking chances at this point.

No, it isn't suicidal, it's a gamble. Playing Alexis against Norwich with an injury is suicidal.

Several of those players have looked sharp recently while Monreal/Iwobi had a tough time against Swansea.

carlito'sway

Established Member
No, it isn't suicidal, it's a gamble. Playing Alexis against Norwich with an injury is suicidal.

Several of those players have looked sharp recently while a t Monreal/Iwobi had a tough time against Swansea.

Would rather not take this gamble at this stage with the first place in the group at stake.
I would prefer just a couple of sensible changes, if it is really needed, that is.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don't think wholesale changes are needed fwiw. It'd disrupt team rhythm, just that in Alexis case especially I worry about him with the travel he does for internationals and the fact he's probably our most important player.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Reminds me of "We need Alexis, can't trust the Ox away at Norwich" -> game drawn, Alexis out for 8 weeks, battered at Southampton in a bottle job, 10 points taken from 9 games between 13th January and 5th March 2016, Leicester win the league.
Funny you mention that Alexis injury, he picked up that hamstring problem on matchday 5 of the CL after the team had picked up 3 points from 12. Could have given him a breather that night if it wasn't an absolute must win due to unecessary tinkering in the first two matches. Get points on the board and then start resting players.

Rocky

Funny you mention that Alexis injury, he picked up that hamstring problem on matchday 5 of the CL after the team had picked up 3 points from 12. Could have given him a breather that night if it wasn't an absolute must win due to unecessary tinkering in the first two matches. Get points on the board and then start resting players.

Yes, but Arsenal already have 4 from 6 in the CL, and can beat Ludogorets without Alexis (and can draw at Norwich with him, for instance). Games don't get played in isolation, the more fatigue in the muscle, the more likely it is to get damage.

Best to prevent him getting into the red zone in the first place by not playing him in games that aren't must-win (Middlesbrough is the far bigger game. If I remember rightly, the longest winning runs last season were about 6 games by Leicester and Sp**s, a win at Boro is 7 on the trot and title winning form for sure, it could easily be a tough game, and they were jaded at Burnley). Rest players when they need it (ie when they're "jaded"). Don't worry. Lucas is a good player and he can have Özil and Walcott around him. Ox looking sharp too. Now is a good time to offer a boost to the fringe players.

Not sure how many changes qualifies under the "wholesale changes" description seeing as I suggested 6 max with Bellerin, Mustafi, Xhaka, Walcott and Özil maintained, but at a minimum I'd like to see Monreal, Iwobi and Alexis rested along with Cech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom