• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL | Arsenal vs Olympiakos | Wed 28/9/11 19:45PM SS2

TomasCR

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
I think we'll see Song at CB and Frimpong ,Ramsey, Arteta in midfield.
Song at CB would mean Djourou isn't even the 4th choice now, you could as well send him the "get the **** out message" then.

Frimpong is a good shout though, think his time should come later when we win a couple of games.

dreamLord

Established Member
Sigh. More of Djourou then. This season keeps on getting better and better :roll:

WTF did Kos and Gerv do in the past 3 days that they got injured? Looked fine during the match...

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
So we have ONE ****ing first choice CB available? What ****e is this??

I am assuming DJ the BJ is injured also.

You blow too hard on an Arsenal player and he goes down injured for 4 weeks. WTF man.

lee1001

Established Member
I wonder if we will ever see Park on the field. The fact Chamakh is **** but still gets ahead of him makes me very nervous in the event RVP gets injured.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Think Chamakh needs a sports-psychiatrist (still think he has the abilty to play well).

So what about Olympiakos. Will they go down as easily as most Greek clubs playing in England? Has anyone seen them play recently?

This is how they lined up v Marseille:

------------------Costanzo---------------
Modesto--Papadopoulis--Mellberg--Holebas
-------------Fejsa-----Torosidis---------
Abdoun-----------Fuster-----------Yeste
----------------Mirallas----------------

subs (51' 0-1):
55' Djebbour for Yeste
67' Ibagaza for Fejsa
67' Makoun for Fuster

Fuster and Mirallas are their main goalscoring treats.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Mellberg is about the only player I know from this team, and I'm not even sure it's THE Mellberg i.e. Villa's former CB.
Add Torosidis to that list, whom I know from their national team.

clockwork orange

It's the same Mellberg. Ibagaza played in La Liga for ages, wonder how old he is. Makoun couldn't make it at Villa after signing from Lyon, he's a Lille academy player.

I'm most curious about Fuster. Mirallas on his night can be a very dangerous striker. Used to be a great prospect, but didn't fully deliver.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
haha remember Freddie and Mellberg fighting in training <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4t0ZKi3F4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On4t0ZKi3F4</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Good to know, then I'm hoping for a Mellberg throw-in own goal (he was that, wasn't he?).

Ibagaza and Makoun are two players I've heard of as well, was just talking about the first 11 you posted above.
Strange case with Makoun, always thought he was a decent player, now he can't even get in Piräus' team, or what?

clockwork orange

Thought the same about Makoun, that's what makes me curious about Fuster. Maybe Makoun is past it, Greek clubs are good at picking up players who're in the autumn of their carreer.

bertlb2

Well, I wanted to see a bit of rotation, but the injuries mean there will be a few changes anyway. Mikel and Robin are two key players going forward at the moment, and both have had fitness issues in the past, so I would like to see them given a rest when it is possible.

That Mikel can't play the full 90 and that he seems to tire in the 2nd half to the point that he loses his effectiveness is a concern. Is it his natural stamina? Is he not fully fit? He is someone I might want to see starting on the bench for this one, if that means he can play more good minutes at the weekend. Giving a start to Tomas is a good idea. That Mikel was with Arsène for the pre-match interview would suggess otherwise, though.

Regarding Robin, I'd like to see him start against the Greeks, because he is in top form, and because I feel the refs protect him more in Europe then in England, or the English side go harder on him then continental sides.

So that means a front 3 of Robin, Andrei and Chu or Alex. I'd go with Alex to build on the momentum of the CC. On the other end, Chu has more experience in top-level games, and with the many changes to the starting team, a bit of experience isn't a bad thing.

Aaron has to play, given that Jack, Yossi, Abou are out and Mikel is rested. Alex Song is good to go for this one. No Francis and no Emmanuel from the start, please. I rate them both, but Song can take this one, he is playing well and his suspension means he hasn't played that much this season.

At the back, it is Bacary, Per, DJ, no question. At LB, I'd go with Andre Santos, because I am curious to see him in action for us, but Kieran will do aswell.

Between the sticks, one of the two Poles is fine. The younger one is on a good run, so stick with him, I guess.

I gives me

Andrei Robin AOC
Tomas Alex Song Aaron
Andre Santos Per DJ Bacary
Wojcieh

with a bench of Lukasz, Chu, Ignasi, Kieran, Mikel, Marouane, Emmanuel.

mistaT

Established Member
Djourou is out injured too yeah?

3-4-3 with Song and Frimpong shielding the back three, can't imagine Olympiakos bringing much at us.

Sagna - Mertesacker - Santos
-Arteta--Song---Frimpong---Ramsey-
----AOC----RVP----Arshavin---

Vela

Established Member
-----------Szczensy
Sagna--Song---Mertersacker-Santos
-------Frimpong-Arteta
Chamberlain--Rosicky---Arshavin
-----------Van Persie

Bench - Fabianski, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Park, Chamakh, Ramsey

AFCG7

Established Member
Fran Yeste used to be really good. I can remember from his Bilbao days , seemed to be quite a talent but fell off the radar. I have no idea how good he is now.
Torosidis is a tough RB and also gets forward very well. He will have to be watched close. I dont know anything about the rest of their players but they will be tough opponents. We shouldnt fool around with this bunch, get at them straight away and force the pace.

There is light

Don't trust song as a CB but considering DJ's horrendous form, one will take it gladly.

Pretty much the same lineup as vela's but with coquelin starting instead of pong. Also i think ryo may be on the bench because we really have no wide options to bring from the bench if needed. He lacks match fitness right now but so does park. Santos also didn't look very fit against blackburn, hope he's worked hard since.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Our best possible line up:

------------------ Szczesny -----------------
-- Sagna --- Mertersacker --- Song ---- Santos --
------------------- Frimpong -----------------
------------ Arteta ---------- Ramsey ----------
Chamberlain ----------------------------- Benny
---------------------- RVP --------------------

Taking into account Coquelin's lack of CL experience, Arshavin's lack of form, and Gibbs inability to play 3 games in a week.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Arshavin will definitely play, we need him now.

Have a feeling this will turn into a bit of a struggle going forward.

IBL

Established Member
Arsh will start I'm sure. Not sure about Ox starting as much as I'd like to see that.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom