• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL - Arsenal vs Shakhtar Donetsk - Tue 19th Oct 7:45pm| SS2

est

No need to rest Wilshere for this one. He's banned in the domestic competitions anyway.

Otherwise, I think that's a pretty decent side T_H.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Now that Kos' absence is confirmed, I'll stick with my 11.
Theo should be starting this - if his toe-injury really isn't that bad.
Hoping for Vela too (but I expect someone else there, although he should once get a chance imo).
Denilson hasn't played much recently, so I want him to start as well.
Chamakh to ensure that we score an early goal or win somehow a penalty. Once the game is settled, we should bring on Bendy.

We've a big squad, so we should use it.

yuvken

Established Member
Don't know if Cesc will start. Don't mind either. I do mind to see a serious effort from the start.

KY

Established Member
viper_001 said:
I remember watching videos of Bendtner playing for the reserves in 05/06, and his first touch was incredible. He was brilliant way back when he was partnered up front with little Arturo Lupoli (I wonder what happened to that kid).

<a class="postlink" href="http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/04/where-are-they-now-arturo-lupoli/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/04/wher ... ro-lupoli/</a>

going nowhere at the speed of light...

I seem to remember Bendy performing better whe he partnered Theo...

kel varnsen

Established Member
yuvken said:
Don't know if Cesc will start. Don't mind either. I do mind to see a serious effort from the start.

he should start. work on his match fitness ahead of the city game.

Rorz

Established Member
I think Bendtner should be given some time - the quicker he gets back to full match fitness the better. Would like to see Denilson as well, hasn't got much playing time this season.

Danni

Indeed. It's time to give Chamakh a break, he's been leading the front-line to his best ability and deserves a rest. As you said, Rorz, Nicklas Bendtner should be given some time, and we desperately need a more than adequate back-up for Chamakh - and we have that in the Dane. I'd like to see Vela, Walcott and Denilson get some minutes under their belt aswell.

DK Gooner

Chamakh should start as Bendtner is still not match fit. NB should be eased back with substitute minutes until we are sure he is fully match fit. We don't want his injury to flare up again by rushing things as happened with us and the Danish NT last season.

Eirico

CandysRoom said:
Every time he's had a mare, i remember how young he is, because sometimes he does something breathtaking and you can see what the coaches see. Definitely not a player to be written off so early in his career.

Chamakh has had a good start for us and was certainly looking the part last year for Bordeaux, but where was he at 22? I'll give any young player a few more years because they don't all progress at the same rate.

Yes he's still fairly young, but how much will his first touch and technique improve from now on? Surely it will improve some, but the technical ability of our youngsters is something the Arsenal academy is working on at an early age so the players can work on other things when they're ready for the first team level. So basically I think he should have a better first touch at the age of 22 to be considered a huge striker talent in my book.
For me Bendtner is looking more like a goal scorer type of player in the future, like Trezeguet or Adebayor. A player that don't contribute too much apart from scoring goals. I don't think there are room for such strikers in Arsenal's first eleven, at least not in the current formation and playing style. So therefor I can't see him make it here as long as he's not improving his first touch immensely.

But of course, would love to see him prove me wrong. Will surely be interesting to see how much playing time he will get this season when Chamakh and Van Persie are both fit.

Clockend_Original

We should try and play the strongest team possible, with the exception of maybe giving Cesc a cameo run out half way through the second half, same as Bendy. This won't be the walk in the park that many think it will, and if Blackpool can put two past City, I'd be more worried about the tuesday game than the City one.
Clearly Kos and Verms are out, so DJ has to start, although if they were both to be out for the City match I'd be inclined to give Song game time at CB as DJ is probably not good enough to mark and of city's front line attack.

Humble Rex

Established Member
And Song´s display against Barcelona has not yet convinced you that he is nowhere near good enough at CB for us? I´d take JD ahead of him any day, especially this season´s version of Song.

Nela

Established Member
I'd like to see Wilshere in the Cesc role with Gibbs, Denilson and Theo starting.

mo50

Established Member
Arshavin needs a rest, and so does Chamakh. We need them fresh for City, as banduan said.

I'm praying Fabianski doesn't make a mistake, he seems much more confident and looks a different player, and I hope he can keep improving.

Eduardo should get a warm reception tomorrow, it's a shame I can't watch the game.

mistaT

Established Member
---------Fabulous Fabi-------------
Eboue - Squil - Djourou - Clichy
----------Denilson---Song----------
------------Wilshere---------------
--Theo-----Chamakh Dat------Rosicky-

Doubt we'll see Gibbs as we need Clichy to start otherwise we'll be seeing a complete back up back 4....alarming?!

Denilson needs a game out and is a fit for a CL game like this, particularly at home.

Song to start as he's starting to hit form and our patched up back 4 needs support.

Wilshere as he's out for City, Theo to prep for City, and Rosicky to rest/save Arshavin (for City).

Fun trio there at the end.!

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Judging by Wenger's comments; I think the earliest we will see Bendtner start games is probably Newcastle in the Carling Cup next week.

Segway

This is an important game which could pretty much seal whether we go through or not. Shakhtar is obviously the team to beat in this group and if we want to be 1st then we have to win. Therefore I expect the rotation to be kept to a minimum. Only Arshavin should be taken out of the first XI due to his dismal display against Birmingham and Bendtner should only feature for 20 minutes max. A player who I think deserves to start tonight is Denilson who I think has shown glimpses of his true potential this season. The question is however at whose expense it should be - I'd say Diaby. In the end I think we'll see this:

-----Fabianski------

Eboue-JD-Squillaci-Clichy

-Wilshere-Song-Denilson-

-Nasri-Chamakh-Rosicky

I don't exactly marvel at the prospect of both Nasri and Rosicky being part of the front three but there seems to be no other options. When we'll start to miss some penetration put Walcott in there. Cesc and Bendtner should also get some minutes during 2nd half.

FrankArsenal

I just have to get this of my chest. I read all the Eduardo interviews and I just feel bad! Such a lovely guy and mostly, I really think he was the finisher at club I've ever seen. At one point when he was through on goal, I always thought he would score. But he's not LWF nor a lone striker. Wish him the best.

PS: A bit offtopic, I think he would have been great in a 4-4-2 with Chamakh.

dpt49

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
Now that Kos' absence is confirmed, I'll stick with my 11.
Theo should be starting this - if his toe-injury really isn't that bad.
Hoping for Vela too (but I expect someone else there, although he should once get a chance imo).
Denilson hasn't played much recently, so I want him to start as well.
Chamakh to ensure that we score an early goal or win somehow a penalty. Once the game is settled, we should bring on Bendy.

We've a big squad, so we should use it.
I think Bendtner and Cesc will play a part in this game. Wilshere will definitely start, he's playing his best football in the starting 11 and he is missing the next 2 league games.

I can't believe, at this stage of the season we only have Clichy as a first choice defender.

I just hope we don't get any more injuries in this game

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom