• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL |Olympiacos v Arsenal| Wed 9/12/09|19:45| ITV1(finally)

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Del Boy said:
True Gooner said:
Err..talk about nit picking.
?
You are either a leader or you are not a leader. No in between. There is no "quiet leader".
There are all types of leaders. Vocal leaders, leaders who lead by example, quiet yet commanding leaders who have a presence, combinations and degrees of these, and so on. I'm not going to argue whether Silvestre is a leader or not, but just because a tag has been added to leader, in this case 'quiet', it doesn't mean that it contradicts the notion of being a leader.

Del Boy

Established Member
I suppose Silvestre brilliant leadership at City should be enough to shut me up. Hang on there...

est

I'm lost here. What do you mean by leadership? What did he do wrong/didn't do in the City match?

MAK 14

Established Member
Looking forward to hopefully seeing Wilshere in this game. Really not to bothered if we lose (by a respectable margin) - i just want to see how the young players play.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Give every first teamer a rest it really doensnt bother me if we lose this game with 3-0 or 1-0, we need to win sunday thats the most important thing sorry.

ThaSaltCracka

Del Boy said:
True Gooner said:
Err..talk about nit picking.
?
You are either a leader or you are not a leader. No in between. There is no "quiet leader".
You need to do far more reading on leadership and motivation of individuals if you think a leader is only someone that yells at people and gets in their face. In many cases, the one that does that is actually a HORRIBLE leader.

Being a quiet leader means he carries himself professionally and works hard in training. Its highly plausible that Silvestre works his ass off in training, knowing his time will come, and to be ready in case of injuries. If you are a 18-21 year old kid who isn't getting playing time, and you see a much older and experienced player who isn't getting playing time training like he is, you are noticing that and it rubs off on you. You emulate that.

He could also act like a mentor to these players. Say what you want about his talent now, but veteran players know things that an 18-20 can't even fathom.

Accomplished

Established Member
I think Silvestre is excellent in training, I get the feeling he's an excellent role model for the kids, and he does his best to try and impart some of his experience on them. That's one of the main reasons why Wenger bought him IMO, so I've got no problem with him.

alboots101

Established Member
in a tight game...which it will be in Greece..one mistake might decide the game...he will make a mistake.

Accomplished

Established Member
a lot of our players make mistakes unfortunately , I don't think silvestre is any more likely to make a mistake than some of our other players...it's just he's in an area of the pitch where mistakes cost a lot more...

alboots101

Established Member
true.
ha....silly vest is all three

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSjpyU&NR=1&feature=fvwp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYV-JSj ... ature=fvwp</a>

tam1886

Established Member
Yeah but for Wednesday night, it says a lot about Silvestre when the team around him has the average age of a kid in a pampers advert, and he's just as prone to error as them.

algunner

Wenger is smart guy ....He is using Silvestre to mold the young player to be professional even though he is not the best defender you can have in the lineup. One thing for sure is he has won trophies that only the young players can only dream. I give Silvestre the respect .... I can't imagine Gallas doing that ...not professional enough and has no patience for that kind of job. In fact only one player can be seen as role model from the french players that won so many trophies both at club level and world cup is Makelele... the rest are bunch of egotistic players with so much talent or don't know how to teach/communicate with young players. Furthermore Silvestre has been long enough in the PL knows what it takes to win and speaks good English ... It would be hard for others to do that knowing language barrier are one of the factors that slow down progress on foreign players.

kamikaze80

Established Member
well maybe if these cocky fabregas wannabes started showing gallas more respect, he might teach them a thing or two. i can't imagine what they'd learn from silvestre - seriously, wenger's using silvestre to teach them the arsenal way??

these little ****s should be asking van persie what he learned from henry, pires and bergkamp. they're probably too busy sexting on their iphones and playing psp...

Zico

Established Member
I look forward to the day when I don't have to hear about Arsenal's kids all the time, when the only time you hear about them is when one of them has achieved the impossible and broken into a senior team of older, established players in their prime - the way a Messi or a Fabregas had to break into their respective squads. We spend way too much time talking about the Eastmonds, Ramseys and Coquelins of the world considering that few if any of them will go on to become productive members of a title-challenging first team. Kids should neither be seen nor heard of.

Accomplished

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
well maybe if these cocky fabregas wannabes started showing gallas more respect, he might teach them a thing or two. i can't imagine what they'd learn from silvestre - seriously, wenger's using silvestre to teach them the arsenal way??

these little ****s should be asking van persie what he learned from henry, pires and bergkamp. they're probably too busy sexting on their iphones and playing psp...

:lol:

great way to talk about our young players, really showing your support there.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom