• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL: Porto (A) Wed 17th Feb 19.45 ITV1

Pies

SA Gunner said:
Swish said:
Porto would be lucky to get a draw at their place. We'll tear them apart at the Emirates. We certainly did last time.

Easy enough tie for us to overcome.

Porto are unbeaten in their last 12 matches, have lost twice at Drago in the CL all to opposition superior than we are, the current defending champions and rattled United at OT last year.

On what do you base your logic?

This is a tough tie people, lets catch a wake up here. A score draw would be a good and realistic result for us.

I agree, we should win the tie but it's foolish to say that it is going to be easy.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Denilson is gonna play, no doubt about it.

Like Wenger would pick Eastmond over Denilson for a CL knockout match.

qs

Established Member
GoOnYouGunners said:
I still think we could see Diaby moved to the holding role and Ramsey in Diaby's normal spot.

Wenger will play Denilson and Diaby both deep with Cesc free to attack ahead of them. Its not a perfect solution but it has been used with reasonable success before.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
GoOnYouGunners said:
I still think we could see Diaby moved to the holding role and Ramsey in Diaby's normal spot.

I will agree to the improvements to Diaby's defensive game, Wenger himself stating this, but I would not want to give him the chief defensive role. I dont trust him there.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
SA Gunner said:
GoOnYouGunners said:

I will agree to the improvements to Diaby's defensive game, Wenger himself stating this, but I would not want to give him the chief defensive role. I dont trust him there.
The key is that, those trio mentioned by GOYG total's benefits outweight that of Denilson playing.

qs

Established Member
Clrnc said:
SA Gunner said:
GoOnYouGunners said:

The key is that, those trio mentioned by GOYG total's benefits outweight that of Denilson playing.

Diaby needs some defensive help. Denilson offers more of that than Ramsey. Denilson should start.

GoOnYouGunners

I just don't know how Denilson would be allowed on the pitch after not putting any effort into his past couple performances. I can understand a young player making mistakes, but when they display no desire to win on the pitch they shouldn't be used imo.

USgoonergirl

Established Member
I think I would rather see Ramsey play, but I agree it will probably be Denilson starting which is disappointing. Its a shame we seem to get to see just glimpses of Diaby-Song-Fabregas before one is injured.

law

If Denilson plays he'd better find his form from early this season/last season. If he does we can put out a very strong midfield three.

dutchMasta

Ugh, can't stand Denilson, but we have no choice here. Eastmond away in a CL match is not viable, and Diaby's role is better served in a more advanced position. As long as Denilson keeps it simple (ie, NO chesting the ball down in his peno area!!!) and he works his ass off, I'm happy.

nazo

Established Member
Denilson will start. It's too early for Eastmond (and even Ramsey) to start against Porto.

Regardless, we should perform fine with whoever starts. Keep possession, play smart and defend as a team. That would make Song's loss less apparent.

flobaba

dutchMasta said:
As long as Denilson keeps it simple (ie, NO chesting the ball down in his peno area!!!)
lol. you know Denilson just love his under pressure chest control whilst facing your post moves. Its like his own special finishing move.
and he works his ass off, I'm happy.
Now this is what I'd like to see. Work hard. When you're exhausted, let the boss take you off, but we'd all have seen that you ran your socks off, and we'd be satisfied.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
SA Gunner said:
Id play Denilson for this one, remember this is Europe and we have teams who actually want to play football, not bully and negate our play.

Since we away, Id play our in form players to start with. Eduardo can sit on the bench.

Almunia
Sagna Gallas Vermaelen Clichy
Denilson
Cesc Diaby
Eboue Bendtner Rosicky

Agree with everything apart from this...

MAK 14

Established Member
SA Gunner said:
Id play Denilson for this one, remember this is Europe and we have teams who actually want to play football, not bully and negate our play.

Since we away, Id play our in form players to start with. Eduardo can sit on the bench.

Almunia
Denilson
Cesc Diaby
Eboue Bendtner Rosicky
I see where you're coming from, but Clichy, Denilson, Bendtner and Rosicky aren't exactly on form right now.

Assuming Nasri is okay, I'd play this:

--------------Almunia
------------Diaby Denilson
--------------Fabregas
--Walcott Bendtner Nasri

Lord Dula

Established Member
I'd go

-----------Almunia

Sagna----Gallas-Vermaelen---Clichy

Eboue----Diaby---Cesc-----Rosicky
-----------Nasri
----------------Bendtner

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I think that all a 4-4-2 would achieve at this stage is to make us weaker both defensively and offensively anyway.

The Mirror says that Gallas is injured, by the way. Haven't seen it being reported anywhere else though, but I struggle to think of a reason why they'd make that up. My preferred starting eleven with that in mind:

Code:
             Almunia
Sagna   Campbell   Vermaelen   Clichy
             Eastmond
      Fabregas      Diaby
  Rosicky     Bendtner    Eduardo

I'd be fine with Denilson or Ramsey in there too. I just think Eastmond has a better defensive game than both, inexperienced or not. Odds are that we'll have to field a defence where two of the players are carrying knocks and the other two have played less than five games each for the last five months. I'd give them the best possible protection the squad can offer with that in mind - preferrably without compromising the few attacking options we've got (which I think will be the case if we move Diaby down to the holding role).

qs

Established Member
Playing defensive midfield in Europe is much less physical than playing it in the league. I think Denilson will be fine.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, June 4

Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow could be acquired for little over €10m [The Athletic]

Other clubs believe Arsenal are in position to sign Benjamin Šeško [The Athletic]

Arsenal are not expected to pursue their interest in Bruno Guimaraes due to his £100m asking price [The Athletic]

Martin Zubimendi and Joao Neves are under consideration as potential signings in midfield [The Athletic]

Arsenal want £30m to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with several Premier League clubs interested [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom