<

UEL SF 2nd Leg: Atletico Madrid (1) v Arsenal (1) | May 3, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Match Prediction for the Rex Banner Derby?

Poll closed May 3, 2018.
  1. Arsenal Win

51.9%
  2. 0-0

3.7%
  3. Score Draw

21.0%
  4. Atletico Win

23.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morpho

morpho #ArtetaOut = Permanent Ban

Best fcuking post Ive read in ages, around here.

James Bond and Jae like this.
  2. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

You know, I was just thinking how inflexible Wenger was last night with his subs, apart from Chambers for Kos.
    He brought on Miki for Jack, but he still had one more left and he could have used it when he saw that both his fullbacks couldn't cross it right in the box.

That meant Kola or AMN could have been used and I don't think they would have been as bad as Nacho and Rapunzel, who was despicable last night.
    Or bring in Eddie for Welbeck, because at least he could be where he should in the box and possibly exploit something.
    Even taking Özil off and bringing Iwobi would have been something considering how wasteful he was with his passes.

The bottom line is he did nothing to inject some positivity in the team and let them do the same thing that didn't work until the end of the match.

3. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

A lot of people need to watch Atleti when they play regular league games. They've blitzed many teams with great football. People's minds are clouded because all they see of Atleti are the backs to the wall stuff vs Real, Barca, Bayern in the CL -> This is cup football, it's a completely different ball game and they are the masters at it (along with their Madrid neighbours)

This notion that all they do is play boring football needs to stop. It's embarrassing.

asukru, Jae, American_Gooner and 2 others like this.
  4. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

5. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Clicked on this thread to see what you posted , ffs depressing .

Gooner Zig and Hunta like this.
  6. redwhiteAustrian

redwhiteAustrian Tu Felix Austria Administrator

Mocked by UEFA's second tier competition, bloody hell.

7. Vinci

Vinci The Sultan of Unai

Not the official account.

8. Kroket

Kroket Trusty and Sensible Trusted

I'm sure they can get past weaker teams in a convincing way, I still think against us they shouldn't have been as cautious as they were. Despite a significant gulf in quality we were only ever a lucky deflection or dodgy penalty call away from forcing extra time.

They took a massive risk by sitting on their one goal lead for such a long time, think I would have preferred us going for their throats had the roles been reversed.

9. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

Don't really think you can call it a "massive" risk when they've conceded 0 goals in 11 games on their turf.

Jasard and <<reed>> like this.
  10. Hunta

Hunta Shivering Right Now Trusted

Didn’t notice. :oops:

11. Kroket

Kroket Trusty and Sensible Trusted

Taking a quick glance at their league fixtures Betis and Valencia are the only half decent teams they've played at their place since the turn of the year. Admittedly haven't watched them play much but understood they got away with it against Sporting too.

Fair play to them for the way they can close games out but they could have been home and dry by half time yesterday.

12. Kash

Kash Arsene FC Supporter

if we remember, Arsenal have been regularly tonked by Monaco, Bayern, Barca, AC Milan over the past european campaigns. It was never easy to beat ATM, but the chance was there. The team competed. In the current environment, I wouldnt blame them for being a bit distracted. Arsenal could have won it. Things didnt fall our way. It was a proper semi-final, and it was lost by us letting them back in it, at 1:0 up at the emirates. People shouldnt forget that they defended very well, and their goalkeeper did a great job. Its not an occasion to wail and mourn the team. We dragged this squad as far as we could. Selling Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott, Coquelin and losing Elneny / kos to injury made it a very difficult matchup to win.

It could only have happened if Özil, Ramsey and Mkhi had conjured up a few moments of magic, like Jack /Laca did for the first goal. But thats what it was, hoping for one last bit of magic.

Makingtrax likes this.
  13. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about Athletico but it seemed to me they were totally there for the taking. No one to blame but ourselves.

14. rich 1990

rich 1990 Men's Rights Activist

I honestly thought we'd do it, still pissed. Lesson learnt. Never believe in anything or anyone.

15. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

Wish I can like this reference more than once. :lol:

:lol: :lol: My Arsenal support this season summed up in a clip.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.