• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the biggest mistake the club made that has put us in our current situation?

GDeep™

League is very weak
The money we spend, we generate through the club, sales etc. Some of it over the years has been spent badly, which is normal, especially when you consider over the past 30 years we’ve done more good business than bad business.

When it comes to Stan, I don’t believe he has ever gone beyond the bare minimum. The years where we were really struggling and even had to sell, why couldn’t he throw some cash in? The whole “Özil or Higuain” thing, why couldn’t he fund both?

Beyond that, he’s now had two chances to lay down a marker and employ a great manager, and both times we’ve settled for mediocrity you can say - once with Emery and now with a complete newbie.

I don’t know what Stan has done at Arsenal, you feel he gets more from owning Arsenal than we get from him being owner.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The money we spend, we generate through the club, sales etc. Some of it over the years has been spent badly, which is normal, especially when you consider over the past 30 years we’ve done more good business than bad business.

When it comes to Stan, I don’t believe he has ever gone beyond the bare minimum. The years where we were really struggling and even had to sell, why couldn’t he throw some cash in? The whole “Özil or Higuain” thing, why couldn’t he fund both?

Beyond that, he’s now had two chances to lay down a marker and employ a great manager, and both times we’ve settled for mediocrity you can say - once with Emery and now with a complete newbie.

I don’t know what Stan has done at Arsenal, you feel he gets more from owning Arsenal than we get from him being owner.
The transfer businesss is hit and miss for all clubs Ferguson bought a waning Michael Owen, Veron, Bebe, Kleberson, Taibi, etc . Wenger had some great buys and some terrible ones like every other manager. But after Gazidis brought in stat DNA, they went down hill by and large.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I have never said such a thing, if you mean me, which I’m sure you do.
Instead of marvelling at other managers and their records, again, when are our owners going to hire and back managers for something other than finish top 6?

It’s like you guys are looking everywhere but at the guys running our club.

Next season when we finish 6-8 who do we blame? Artera? Wenger? AFTV? Özil? Immigrants? Trump? The weather? Because I know we don’t look at Stan.[/QUOTE

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Why didn't we spend that £200m cash reserve.

200m seven years ago would've bought us 6-7 top class players.

say yes

forum master baiter
Why do you think we stuck with Wenger? My belief is that Stan has no desire to compete with or for the best - best players, managers, titles etc.
No authority, direction or drive to succeed within the upper echelons of club. There were no competent football people at all really after Dein left.

We’re just an investment for Stan, and the bozos he left in change (Gazidis and the board) were useless gimps who thought they could just leave everything to Arsène.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Kronke being allowed to take control of the club. Don't blame the monkey when it's the organ-grinder's fault.

In my view the club should not have allowed anyone to buy more than 50% of the shares but if it had to happen it should have been in return for a fully-financed plan by the new owner to invest in the club to take it to the next level.

Last edited:

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Tons of crap transfers, overall malaise / lack of ambition, sure, but the real source of our (relative) struggles has been the cash infusion at City + Chelsea and Liverpool returning to their pomp. That's 3 top ~15 clubs on the world stage that we didn't have alongside or above us during the Wenger heyday.

Could have done some things to help mitigate / keep pace, but ultimately it was going to be an uphill battle no matter what. Even saying "Kroenke sucks" (and he does) is a bit of a cop-out – what's he supposed to do, match cheques with what is essentially an Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund? And even though he should be able to keep pace with, or even slightly outspend Abramovich and Henry's FSG, they still represent hugely heightened competition in a PL with the same number of league winners, FA cups, and CL spots as before.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why do you think we stuck with Wenger? My belief is that Stan has no desire to compete with or for the best - best players, managers, titles etc.

Ornstein made it clear several times that Stan and the board have always been desperate for us to compete for the league title...... me thinks they simply have blind faith in Wenger just like the fans and thought he would lead us to the title eventually again given enough time.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Every club makes bad signings. A well managed club recovers quickly from the bad signing, by quickly moving the player on. But we haven't recovered from our bad signings because we are unwilling to bin players the moment we realise that they're bums.

We keep Crocks in the payroll for years.

I'll blame Wenger for this though. He was the one that ingrained this culture into the club.

Inter could've paid a pretty penny for mustafi in January 2018. His family was even reportedly interested in the move, but Wenger was unwilling to let Mustafi go.

Elneny's contract was running down, we extended it FFS

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

The whole world has many Arsenal fans, a lot on here from other countries. The vast majority of those were attracted to the club by the invincible's era and the subsequent beautiful football played by Wenger's teams. And that probably includes Stan Kroenke.

Like Ferguson at United, the club is suffering from a loss of a giant personality and is struggling to find its identity again.

Moaning threads like this don't really help. Like Liverpool, the club will become great again eventually. It just won't be overnight though with our current level of investment.

Realistically hiring Gazidis. We’re still suffering with the contracts he gave out and from the shambolic top level structure he set up.

Apart from him, not refreshing the staff who worked under Wenger. Scouting and coaching had passed their prime by about 2010 but were allowed to carry on in their roles.

Clubs constantly have to be innovative and while we were in 2004 we drifted far from that by the early 2010s.

For sure Gazidis is to blame for alot!

Also i belive the boardmembers is alot to blame that they doesnt see what is going on in the club...
There is alot of wrong doing in the club in the past and in some still going on, we are still not quick enough when it comes to sign coming players..

Just take Benjamin Pavard in Bayer who we could get cheap or Söyuncu
who is alright and we could get cheap aswell..

I feels oike the club still have the transfer mentality like in the 90`s when it was way easier to get promising players cheap, they need to get to modern days and see that it aint so easy nowdays..

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This is my point though, the AM bums just talk about Mustafi all the time, or Xhaka. Why talk about Xhaka and not Torreira? When Xhaka starts and Torreira don’t.

I got called a troll for saying Torreira is useless but AM turns into the UN when it's bashing Xhaka and Mustafi. The popularity contest with players is annoying with the bias.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wonder how everything would be, if we moved to Wembley instead of building the Emirates.

Would have just preferred to stay at Highbury, but the Wembley option wouldn't have killed our finances at least.

scytheavatar

Established Member

This video can explain why we are in our current state. Replace Disney with KSE and Star Wars with Arsenal and it might make sense.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Only my opinion but I just cant see this as being right. Wenger was on one of the biggest managerial contracts in world football. If Stan is as tight as we all believe and not interested in winning he could have not renewed Wengers deal and brought in Klopp for 3m less a season.

The purse strings were loosened in 13/14 and we won the FA cup straight away. This was a man who worked miracles with next to nothing and when he got some decent money ended the trophy drought straight away. He then won the cup again and finished 2nd in the league. I genuinely believe Stan had faith in Wenger.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom