• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who are the great managers of the modern game, and why

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
For me, the Chelsea result yesterday brings this question to the fore yet again. Instead of questioning Wenger and his contribution specifically, I thought Id broaden the topic and look at managers in the modern game.

What is it that distinguishes a manager or coach from being competent, to useless, to good, to great. We all know that success on the pitch is the first and arguably the most important factor for a manager, especially in the early phases of his career, but what else should we seriously take into consideration to determine the manager's pedigree.

Success is not that easy to use as a benchmark because ultimately managers do not have the same support levels. Now this is not me trying to protect Arsène but rather a question instead as to what you think makes him better than a Rafa Benitez for example.

Also what makes Pellegrini such a great coach, despite him only having few honours to his name. What gave Moyes a chance of the United post, other than Ferguson's influence.

Could we create three groups perhaps, four if you would like, containing of;

Great Manager
Good Manager
Competent Manager
Useless Manager.

And possibly why you say so as well.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Great managers are guys who revolutionise the game as well as there team, i.e more than just guys who win things. Mainly guys like Arsène Wenger, Pep Guardiola and Alex Ferguson (although now retired) etc.

I'm quite tired today, so that's all I'll say on this topic for the moment, i'll comment again in due course ;)

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan
Rodgers.

Never have I seen such Exuberance or a galvanized Pool side. Every interview the players give it has some sort of BR mention. From the player hailing him for telling them to do something specific on the training pitch, or from BR adjusting their position to best accommodate the team.

That's where he rise above most, the throws individuals out the window, it's more about the team this season. Suarez can start CF for a month, only to be moved from LW to RW, and he'll do it with pleasure, same with Sturridge, same with Gerrard at CM to DM to Right Wing.

Teams don't know how to set up against us, that's unbelievably difficult thing to achieve. Bayern last season did a similar thing, where they have no starting 11, and every 3 or 4 games would see key elements changed. For a couple reasons - One reason it to simply keep all players fresh and on top of their game, and two is to put a blanket over opposite managers heads.

How can you scout us if you have no idea our formation or starting players?

You can't. Giving a player guaranteed spot will either equate to extreme confidence, or extreme laziness.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Anfield 1884 said:

BArFt.gif

mo50

Established Member
Rodgers is an excellent manager, completely changed the way I viewed him. I always had him down as a third rate manager who talks big but does **** all, but to completely revolutionize a Liverpool side who had Andy ****ing Carroll and Stewart Downing as part of their attacking set up in such a short time deserves credit.

5-1 against us and a 3-0 victory at OT, the guy is a good manager. FAAR too early to be mentioned in this thread though, not even close. At the end of the day he's won **** all, and to be considered amongst the best trophy haul is a big factor.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I thought Rodgers was an overrated buffoon. Couldn't have been more wrong, brilliant manager.

Would put Allardyce somewhere between competent and good. He's limited, but he's a very safe manager and will pretty much secure you a place in the Prem, perhaps even a shot of Europa League footy given the a bit of financial backing and time.

Ferguson is, in my opinion, the best manager of all time. I reckon this season has done a lot to prove that :lol: The shower of **** currently sitting far away from CL places walked the league last season with him at the helm.

outlaw_member

Established Member
I don't understand why Rodgers got so much stick, considering the brilliant work he did at Swansea. Anyone who watched them a few years back would have been amazed at just how well they were performing considering the size of their club, and more importantly their style of play. He was clearly a top up and coming manager.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Is Mourinho a dirty word around these parts?

Can't think of another manager who has won the PL, Spanish league, Portuguese league and Italian league by the age of 50. Also multiple CLs and other trophies. All he's missing off of his CV is German league, but I'm not sure if he wants it or not.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
outlaw_member said:
I don't understand why Rodgers got so much stick, considering the brilliant work he did at Swansea. Anyone who watched them a few years back would have been amazed at just how well they were performing considering the size of their club, and more importantly their style of play. He was clearly a top up and coming manager.

It's well known that Martinez was the one who introduced Swansea's style of play to their club. Rodgers is a good manager, he gets so much stick because he acts like a buffoon and talks even more **** in his pressers than most PL managers.

a_fourteen

Established Member
Cant call the likes of Rogers and Martinez great until they win league titles. It's one thing to galvanize a team to finish fourth or win the odd FA cup, it's another to go season in and season out competing for a league title.

outlaw_member

Established Member
jones said:
outlaw_member said:

It's well known that Martinez was the one who introduced Swansea's style of play to their club. Rodgers is a good manager, he gets so much stick because he acts like a buffoon and talks even more **** in his pressers than most PL managers.

You're right, I couldn't recall who was there first, Martinez or Rodgers. Still, he built upon the foundations the Spaniard laid at the club, and performed the most difficult task, gaining promotion and establishing the club in the PL. They also produced an excellent first season in the top flight.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
He's won nothing and has spent over £60m on Iago Aspas, Joe Allen, Luis Alberto, Tiago Ilori and Sakho. Not sure how that qualifies him as among the best managers in the world, but then I don't support Liverpool and don't post on RAWK.

I used to believe the stupidity that comes out of his mouth would be a hindrance, but I think the cult leader vibe he gives off in his interviews and body language are perfect for that club's fanbase.

He can be classed as a "promising" manager. He'll need to achieve at least what Klopp has to be considered among the elite.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Johnny_Blaze said:
I think the cult leader vibe he gives off in his interviews and body language are perfect for that club's fanbase.

Spot on, comparisons with Jim Jones are maybe a bit far fetched but I can definitely see shades of the People's Temple in RAWK.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Johnny_Blaze said:
He's won nothing and has spent over £60m on Iago Aspas, Joe Allen, Luis Alberto, Tiago Ilori and Sakho. Not sure how that qualifies him as among the best managers in the world, but then I don't support Liverpool and don't post on RAWK.

Sakho has been alright, and Allen has improved this season. Not brilliant buys by no means, but they haven't been complete disasters either. All managers have a few stinkers, and it's his first time at a big club.

Regardless, what you're basically saying is that he brought a bunch of dross, yet he's still pushing for the league title with virtually no improvements made during the transfer windows, according to you.

He also brought in Sturridge and sorted out Suarez. They're on course to win/compete for the league with a midfield trio many consistently write off on here.

He's done a superb job at Pool and saying anything else is just.. weird. No one is ranking him amongst the best manager of all time, but he's certainly proven himself to be among the best current ones in the league.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
So is he going to be knighted for taking the mighty reds back to the (promised land) champs league? The man is a master tactician and I love how he writes down every incident including how many throws 'Pool concede and how many great through balls that come from the cultured right foot of the future England great Jordan Henderson. Can Liverpool hold on to Sir Brendan Rodgers? I have a feeling that sooner rather than later Real Madrid, AC Milan, Barca, Bayern, Juve will all come calling. I can see him making Pepe or Alex Song win the Ballon D'or 7 consecutive time all by a unanimous decisions.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Johnny_Blaze said:
Ancelotti is the best manager in the world.

Agreed. That man is pure class, well mannered, was a great player and has been successful wherever he went.
If there's one man that should follow after Wenger, I'd definitely want Carlo to step in.

The words great and Mourinho should never be used in same sentence.
If there's one thing he's great, it's that he a great egoistical, lowlife, narcissistic prick.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Rodgers is nothing more than a very good young manager atm, has no place in any discussion about the great managers of today's game.

Spin his current work as you like and put a cherry on top of it too, but its nothing more than what Wenger has been doing on much restricted finances througout the Emirates era.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom