• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who are the great managers of the modern game, and why

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Dokaka said:
He's done a superb job at Pool and saying anything else is just.. weird. No one is ranking him amongst the best manager of all time

Thread title: "Who are the great managers of the modern game, and why"

A reply: "Rodgers."

His signings aren't just a "few" stinkers. He's spent a huge amount of money even by today's standards, and the majority of them have been duds. Sahin was one of the most expensive loans in Premier League history, IIRC, and he's loaned two other flops in Moses and Cissokho. The facts suggest he's poor in the transfer market.

I don't think anyone here's suggested that he's anything other than a good manager. He's been quite fortunate this season, though, that his big guns haven't suffered long or medium term injuries at the same time (unlike Arsenal and City), and the lack of CL and Europa league football has meant his players have gotten considerably more rest than the other three teams.

He's had one good season at Liverpool, and one terrible one. He's got to have multiple great seasons before the sane people stop laughing at the RAWK crowd hailing him as the Manager King.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Perhaps it's too early to mention him in this thread, sure. Wasn't really thinking about the OP when I made my post :lol: Still reckon he's one of the best managers in the league though.

I reckon people value different things in their managers. Some weigh titles and cups much higher than other things, and if you do so then Wenger has been utter ****e for many years now. That's not the case though, obviously.

What's people's opinion on Laurent Blanc? Was on everyone's lips 3-4 years ago for the work he did at Bordeaux, which was excellent tbf, but has since then done nothing with France and has now been handed the French league on a silver platter. I find it hard to judge a manager when he can just buy his way to success.

Diego Simeone is probably the best up-and-comer right now. What he's done at AM is ****ing insane, and he's on course to break a decade long monopoly on La Liga with a team with less spending power than most mid-table Premier League clubs. Every time I watch AM play I'm impressed, it's rare that you see that amount of team cohesion.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nobody mention this guy?

200px-Marcello_Lippi_by_Martina_De_Siervo_-_International_Journalism_Festival_2010.jpg

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
There are a couple of great Italian managers around, Ancelotti certainly the most obvious one. Spalletti is another one that's easily overlooked due to his coaching Zenit in the last couple of years, but his work at Roma was pretty impressive taking into account the financial possibilities he had compared to the Milano clubs and Juve.

Hiddink certainly is another one that needs to be mentioned here, even though he's a bit of a mercenary.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Spalletti has been my number one choice as Wenger's replacement for a very long time. Can't see beyond him, to be honest.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger, quite easily. In the first part of his career he got us competing instantly with the best team in the land when he arrived, and changed the style and image of the club with his transfers and football ethos. In the second part of his career he helped lay the foundations of a potential super club, at the expense of his personal success.

The latter probably makes him quite unique as I can't think of many managers in the modern game who have done similar. He could come to be known as the man who made Arsenal a 'Super Club' in 20-50 years.

eye4goal

Established Member
Wenger and Klopp are very good with limited resources. Van Gaal too although you could say he underachieved in his bigger jobs. I wonder what Wenger would have achieved at a Madrid or a Barcelona.

Mourinho guarantees succes if you've got the resources. Pep can't be truly judged until he takes a job where he has to rebuild a team like Mourinho at Inter. Ancelloti seems abit of a cup manager. I was shocked to see he's only won Serie A once with Milan. He managed to finish behind Montpellier at PSG too. I wouldn't call him the best in the world just yet. I'd have him behind Pep and Mourinho.

Rodgers looks a top manager in the making, but I don't think top-four would be much of an achievement. Winning the title would be big surely, but he had Suarez when he took the job which helps. If any title was going to be won by an outsider it was always going to be this years.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Pep did technically build his own Barcelona team though, the previous one was based around Deco and Ronaldinho. He got rid of those two, made Messi the main man and gave Iniesta a more important role in the team, also brought back Pique and signed Dani Alves. He also brought Busquets and Pedro through.

Barcelona also finished 17 points behind Real and were behind Villareal the season before he took over, Pep's impact on Barcelona always seems to be somewhat neglected in terms of how important he was for Barcelona.

eye4goal

Established Member
Pep did great as a coach, but when it comes to outside buys he doesn't have much to show for the €370m he spent in 4 years. He probably wasted half of that, and also sold Yaya and Eto'o for peanuts. Riijkard spent much less and bought them Eto'o, Deco, Ronaldinho, Henry and Yaya Toure.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Dokaka said:
Johnny_Blaze said:
He's won nothing and has spent over £60m on Iago Aspas, Joe Allen, Luis Alberto, Tiago Ilori and Sakho. Not sure how that qualifies him as among the best managers in the world, but then I don't support Liverpool and don't post on RAWK.

Sakho has been alright, and Allen has improved this season. Not brilliant buys by no means, but they haven't been complete disasters either. All managers have a few stinkers, and it's his first time at a big club.

Regardless, what you're basically saying is that he brought a bunch of dross, yet he's still pushing for the league title with virtually no improvements made during the transfer windows, according to you.

He also brought in Sturridge and sorted out Suarez. They're on course to win/compete for the league with a midfield trio many consistently write off on here.

He's done a superb job at Pool and saying anything else is just.. weird. No one is ranking him amongst the best manager of all time, but he's certainly proven himself to be among the best current ones in the league.

Coutinho's been a quality purchase too. But ultimately they've spent 230m in 4 seasons, compared to our 150m with us both selling between 130-140m of players. Rodgers is certainly benefiting from that spending. City have spent around 370m, Chelsea 390m in the same period.

If he pulls off a title, kudos to him.

ArsenalDNA

Rodgers is obviously doing well but it's way too early to call him great.

If this question was asked two years we'd probably have Sp**s' fans saying the same thing about Redknapp.

I'll wait and see how Rodgers does when his squad has to play three games a week and his star player isn't scoring at a goal a game. I wouldn't mind seeing how he would handle losing his best player every summer and working with fck all finances too.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
Rodgers? Is this a ****ing joke? What is this... RAWK?

The man's a glorified Harry Redknapp. What's he done that's shown expertise in management? I actually want to know. He lived off Martinez's team at Swansea which was orchestrated by Martinez, and the people round the club give Martinez the most credit. He's then arrived at Liverpool where he's purchased an extremely talented, technical player Sturridge and already has one of the most talented forwards in the league.

Now Rodgers has always credited his travels in Spain as the way his team plays, so of course he's got his team basically playing like Barcelona, right? No, not in the way I see it. He's tried to have his team playing possession football which is why Joe Allen and Leon Britton were seen as good players for him. He's got the whole look of a Spanish football team, but what does Joe Allen produce exactly? Nothing, he's a complete fraud of a player. Nothing of expertise, but to Brenden 'future 6 coach of the year awards' Rodgers you'd assume he's a nippy little technician. His midfield provides **** all, they collect the ball and distribute to the forwards. His defence does **** all, but the forwards are the reason for why his team does so well. So how can this "Great" manager be so amazing when it's quite clear his forwards are carrying him.

Credit for Sturridge, even though it was clear as **** he's a talented player. Credit for Coutinho, who's a good player, nothing more. Credit for keeping Suarez, when it's quite clear that he already pulled out all the stops to leave and the only other choice was to play his way into the next transfer window. But more importantly, credit for Aspas, Sakho, Allen and all the other overrated dross he's purchased.

I guarantee next season he'll be shown to be more Harry Redknapp than Guardiola

GDeep™

League is very weak
I would put Harry Redknapp in the 'good manager' bracket, having done well at every club he's been at. Gets alot of stick on here, probably because he's English I feel.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rain Dance said:
Nobody mention this guy?

200px-Marcello_Lippi_by_Martina_De_Siervo_-_International_Journalism_Festival_2010.jpg

Wow... Poor Lippi, although he is better than Spaletti and on par with Ancelotti/Capello.

GDeep said:
I would put Harry Redknapp in the 'good manager' bracket, having done well at every club he's been at. Gets alot of stick on here, probably because he's English I feel.
Yeah Redknapp is in good manager bracket

Godwin1

Very well-known
Ancelotti seems to be a bit overrated on this thread. I would rate him as a good manager but even though he's won basically all there is to win at club level he's probably underachieved in the league for Juve and AC milan many seasons running and botched his first season in France.

Maybe he's a flawed great manager.

Agree with GDeep about Redknapp.

ScotVieira

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Coutinho's been a quality purchase too. But ultimately they've spent 230m in 4 seasons, compared to our 150m with us both selling between 130-140m of players. Rodgers is certainly benefiting from that spending. City have spent around 370m, Chelsea 390m in the same period.

If he pulls off a title, kudos to him.

ArsenalDNA said:
Rodgers is obviously doing well but it's way too early to call him great.

If this question was asked two years we'd probably have Sp**s' fans saying the same thing about Redknapp.

I'll wait and see how Rodgers does when his squad has to play three games a week and his star player isn't scoring at a goal a game. I wouldn't mind seeing how he would handle losing his best player every summer and working with **** all finances too.

Thank you.

outlaw_member

Established Member
GDeep said:
Wenger, quite easily. In the first part of his career he got us competing instantly with the best team in the land when he arrived, and changed the style and image of the club with his transfers and football ethos. In the second part of his career he helped lay the foundations of a potential super club, at the expense of his personal success.

The latter probably makes him quite unique as I can't think of many managers in the modern game who have done similar. He could come to be known as the man who made Arsenal a 'Super Club' in 20-50 years.

Wenger did a great job in overseeing our rise to a super club, at least in regards to upgrading our facilities. However, our rivals have also stepped it up, and any foreseeable advantages we were supposed to have simply did not occur. Our state-of-the-art training center is already outdated and needs to be upgraded again. We are far cry from emulating La Masia like some foresaw, and our academy has produced nothing aside from Wilshere in almost 15 years. Southampton's academy is superior than ours. Our stadium generates more revenue than any club on the land, but carries little advantage, and City are expected to build an even bigger stadium. Our massive Emirates commercial deals signed in the early noughties ended up holding us back instead. We are not benefiting like we were expected to.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2588495/Peps-coward-hardly-spoke-Barcelona-Samuel-Etoo-lifts-lid-feud-Pep-Guardiola.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... diola.html</a>

Pep's man management being criticized once more.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Guardiola's man management is definitely suspect, wouldn't trust Eto'o's word on that matter though, grade A dickhead.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom