• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who are we gonna play upfront for the semi-final?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 2,485

Anders Limpar

AW will field a strong enough XI to secure a place in the final, ha said so after the quaterfinal...

If Hoyte is fully fit then he might be on the bench. Lauren is well-rested and I can't see any probs with letting him play all three games against Boro, he needs games to come back to his best. Toure might partner Keown in the defensive centre while Clichy gets another oppertunity as left back (if AW doesn't use him as left wing infront of Cole).

In midfield both Edu and Parlour will start and I guess Vieira will be in the team aswell when it wasn't long ago he came back to form (he might be rested in the second leg if possible). That only leaves one place in midfield and my guess it's Bavid Bentley who will benefit from it. Cesc had a poor game recently and has been struggling with an injury!

Up front Kanu might start (hopefully) if he is allowed by the Nigerian FA to be a little late for th African Cup. It that is the case any of the young ones could make it but I vote for either Thomas or Papadopolus...

...but I would love to see three happy faces on the bench, Henry, Pires and Freddie if they are needed even if it's less likely :lol:

That makes my team for tomorrow look like this:

Stack
Lauren Toure Keown Clichy
Parlour Vieira Edu Bentley
Kanu Thomas

The left side looks a little weak doesn't it? Nahhh... :p :p :p

Adam

Established Member
It's always a possibility that Vieira plays - the games are good for him and he helped the youngsters do well against Wolves.

He was also dominant against Boro previously.

Adam

Established Member
gooner_srf said:
why dont put kolo and bentley.. ;D ????

Essentially that is a doable idea in Wengerball.

Bentley the withdrawn Bergy, and Toure the pacey powerhouse Henry.

wiltord11

kanu is not playing its on sky sports its got to be bentley and papadolupus or bentley and awusie abeyie

but i would like to see this team tomorrow dont know if he will do it

stack

lauren keown tavkaridis/toure clichy

parlour cesc edu bentley

papadolupus Quincy Owusu-Abeyie

i think this could work well papadolupus can hold the ball up for Abeyie and he has the pace and skill to damage middlesborugh cause they are without southgate and some other defender and parlour and edu bring experience in the midfield

but as im writing this on sky sports new they just said that Arsène wenger has said that kanu will play so if he does he will take papadolupus place

lewdikris

Established Member
Expect it to be, in which case:

Stack

Hoyte Kolo Keown Clichy

Thomas Ray Edu Bentley

Kany Papa D

Could be Cesc in place of Thomas ... but I think he might keep the kid in reserve for now - we need strength in the middle of the field to let the rest of the kids shine, and having that core of Kolo and Keown at the back, Ray and Edu in the middle and Kanu up front will give the kids around them to use the space round the edges of the pitch.

Hope they win, but no pressures on them if they don't...

jc8gooner

Would you put Thierry, Bobby, Freddie and Paddy on the bench? I would be tempted to. It would be the strongest bench in the world and if we aren't winning with 30 mins to go we can chuck em on, to torment Danny Mills!

lewdikris

Established Member
Actually, I might be wrong: On Football365 Wenger's quoted as saying.

`Many of those involved in the 16 on Sunday at Aston Villa will play; Martin Keown, Ray Parlour, Edu, Kolo Toure, Graham Stack, maybe one or two of the midfield and certainly one of the two centre-halfs will play.

``It is not an ideal situation because to get the players to recover to play on Tuesday after playing on Sunday is not easy but we have no real choice.

`Up front we have Michal Papadopulos, Quincy Owusu-Abeyie and Ryan Smith. One of those three will play. Then we have David Bentley as well.''

So actually we're probably talking

Stack

Toure Keown Sol Clichy

Ray Paddy Edu

Bentley

Kanu PapaD

Paddy's suspended for the Man City game - so we might as well use him now!

That's definitely strong enough to deal with Boro! Can't see them troubling that defence/midfield.

And it gives Bentley the prime opportunity to play a free-ish role from the left to centre....

JGooner

Where exactly does Ryan Smith play? Wenger talks about him as a striker but i read elsewhere that he is a midfielder. Apparently, Tony Adams rates him very highly.

Adam

Established Member
He's a striker who can play as an attacking midfielder. Tony Adams said "Have you seen him?" in a wowish manner to the telegraph reporter - he must be a talent.

Jerome Thomas will suprise a few people if he plays at his best - he just doesn't do it enough.

Lewd - apparently Kanu has been ruled out.

lewdikris

Established Member
Came on at left wing against Rotherham - no idea if that's his position though. He's only just 16 so it'll probably be a few years before anyone's entirely sure.

Wenger seems to rate him as well - from the way he played v Rotherham, i'd say he'll be an attacking wing-striker type in the classic Wenger mould.

No chance he'll start tomorrow though...

Adam

Established Member
Hopefully he isn't JUST a promising youngster. At 16 - he could go both ways.

Hopefully he develops like Thierry physically! Although that is a rare outcome.

A

Anonymous

algunner said:
I think Wiltod and Bergkamp will be fit so we will have basically all second team.

Shabaan

Lauren Keown Cygan Clinchy

Wiltod Palour Edu Bently

Kanu Bergkamp

i guess this guys does not know, that shabaan has gone to west ham

jc8gooner

Originally posted by algunner:
I think Wiltod and Bergkamp will be fit so we will have basically all second team.

Shabaan

Lauren Keown Cygan Clinchy

Wiltod Palour Edu Bently

Kanu Bergkamp

i guess this guys does not know, that shabaan has gone to west ham
Or that Dennis and Sylvain are still injured!

More thoughts....

Is Cesc definitely fit? He was injured for the youth cup game last Thursday (we could have used him). A back problem I think, and those often don't clear up overnight.

Ryan Smith played left wing for the youth team, He's 17 not 16, but, along with Quincy looked the best individuals on the pitch. Unfortunately they weren't able to lift the team then though, albeit it was an utterly horrible night.

seanconvey66

Stack

Lauren Keown Simek/Toure Clichy

Bentley Parlour Edu Thomas

Papadopulous Kanu

Subs

Holloway
Simek/Toure
Cesc
Pires
Quincey

Thats my guess If Hoytes fit hel play a part aswell.

lewdikris

Established Member
The suggestion in the Evening Standard is that Quincey MD will play ... which would be cool. Him and Kanu can stepover an inexperienced Boro defence to extinction...

Arsenal Quotes

A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom