• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 233,311

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Calling it.

Willian will be better for us, than Ziyech is for Chelsea.
Ziyech will need a year to settle like Pepe so you’re hardly making a big call.

Ziyech will have better numbers, Willian has 30 goals in 250 games ffs.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I'm not opposed to signing Willian, in fact I think he'd be pretty good for us. Different case from the likes of David Luiz, Willian isn't really a reject. Gives us experience and versatility in the wing rotation to go alongside our youngsters.

It's the length of the deal and the general suspicion regarding the Kia connection that leaves a bitter taste.

Luiz wasn’t a reject, Lampard was happy to keep him as a squaddy I think but Luiz was getting first team minutes here.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If we were paying a fee for him and £120 pw I could understand people being against it but this is a free. Cost is about £18m over 3 years for a very good experienced player with loads of PL under his belt. All signings are a risk but we paid double this just on the signing fee alone for Mustafi, plus wages on top. If we get Willian he will add goals for sure, something we need more of anyway. To have him on the bench or rotation for players like Martinelli, is ideal. £6m a year and more to spend on CB & Partey!

Bloodbather

Established Member

Luiz wasn’t a reject, Lampard was happy to keep him as a squaddy I think but Luiz was getting first team minutes here.

Not in the sense they were actively trying to get rid, but he was clearly surplus to requirements at that point. With Willian I think they really do want to keep him around but can't commit to a 3 year deal.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Would we have been after any of these without the kia connection?

For the short term.... why not? Who's that proven winner who's going to provide guidance to the young Saliba at the back? Who's that top professional who's going to keep Bellerin on his toes and make him fight for his place? Who's that Premier league, Copa America, and Europa league winner who's going to show Saka the ropes and provide that extra bit of quality and consistency when he is lacking in that area???

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If we were paying a fee for him and £120 pw I could understand people being against it but this is a free. Cost is about £18m over 3 years for a very good experienced player with loads of PL under his belt. All signings are a risk but we paid double this just on the signing fee alone for Mustafi, plus wages on top. If we get Willian he will add goals for sure, something we need more of anyway. To have him on the bench or rotation for players like Martinelli, is ideal. £6m a year and more to spend on CB & Partey!

Check how many goals he has for Chelsea. Then take away the penalties (as Auba or Pepe will hit them). How many a season does that look like? He is not a high scoring midfielder. If you take away the penalties hes probably a 1 in 7 game attacking midfielder. So your talking 5/6 a season in the league.

blrgooner

Established Member
They want to keep him, just not on a 3 year deal. Why is that so hard to understand ffs
Exactly. They have a 1 year extension policy for 30+ players and are ready to provide him a 2 year extension as an exception.
I don`t understand the massive wages part, the wages being spoken about are pretty much the what we would be paying for someone like Zaha or Grealish or any other player of that profile. We know that we will not get any resale value but why would we worry about resale value on a free signing is again beyond me. He will probably get one season of free wages with not too many games but who cares about that now.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
A good player but I've no idea what this signing is for?

Weve Aubameyang on the left with Martinelli and Saka behind and weve Pepe on the right with Nelson behind him.

Are we really gonna pay massive wages for a back up player?

Colossal*

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Tired of moaning and complaining tbh. I’ll be checking out if we get Willian.

My shoulder is getting better so I’ll invest more time into my gym life I guess.

Might watch highlights.

Promise you'll stop posting if Willian signs please. I'll write an easily searchable world below so I can find this post weeks down the line.

Macarena.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Would we have been after any of these without the kia connection?

Hindsight is 20/20 but Luiz signing made sense at the time imo. The guy had been integral part of PL winning team only two years before and EL winner last season and we got him on the cheap. Also, Chelsea fans were actually bummed losing him and Lampard wanted to keep him as well.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Check how many goals he has for Chelsea. Then take away the penalties (as Auba or Pepe will hit them). How many a season does that look like? He is not a high scoring midfielder. If you take away the penalties hes probably a 1 in 7 game attacking midfielder. So your talking 5/6 a season in the league.

11 goals and 8 assists for Chelsea this season. I get your point about penalties but who else do we have who offers that return? Also who could we buy for £18m over 3 years who would offer similar?

GDeep™

League is very weak

WITH penalties, he averages 5 goals a season in the league.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Willian is 10 goals 10 assists winger he give you that every season i don't think people here saying he s**t he just not an ideal signing for a team want to rebuild plus specially with wages he on.

GDeep™

League is very weak
11 goals and 8 assists for Chelsea this season. I get your point about penalties but who else do we have who offers that return? Also who could we buy for £18m over 3 years who would offer similar?

He averages 5 goals a season in the league with penalties, and he’s turning 32 soon, you’re acting like we’re signing a production machine.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
People are fine with this now because it’s ‘free’ but will be moaning when we can’t sign anyone in the next two years because our wage bill won’t allow it.

Why do we continue to take players Chelsea don’t want.

We’ve got about £40m coming off our wage bill next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom