• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Do we have any world-class players?

Currently, do Arsenal have any world-class players)

• Total voters

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

Consistently good, one of our top 5 players last season. Arguably the best RB in league last season. Well rounded player good both defensively and going forward.

Neville was considered one of the best RBs in PL history due to his consistency, was nothing flashy and just solid defensively. White is by far a more well rounded player than him.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Oh boy. It seems this topic refuses to die. Let me add fuel to this fire. I'm going to list World Class players in my Arsenal watching lifetime, and hopefully piss off a lot of people.

World Class players in the Invincibles/pre-Emirates era (caveat I wasn't old enough to remember some of these players and this is mostly from what my Dad told me).

Henry
Anelka
Bergkamp
Vieira
Pires
Cole
Overmars
Campbell
Seaman

World Class players in the Emirates era with Wenger:

Cesc
RVP
Özil
Sanchez
Auba

World Class players in Arteta's reign:

Saka
Saliba
Ødegaard
Partey
*Rice (only one season at Arsenal but it's looking likely)

These are the players whom I regard as undoubtedly elite in their role or position. I'm judging these players on their impact on the team, big moments and concerning other players in their position. Players like Ramsey, Koscienly and Adebayor had world class seasons, but their overall tenure at Arsenal is a topic of debate. Ljunberg, Nasri and Cazorla missed out because they were overshadowed by superior players.

So who wants to tussle with me?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Oh boy. It seems this topic refuses to die. Let me add fuel to this fire. I'm going to list World Class players in my Arsenal watching lifetime, and hopefully piss off a lot of people.

World Class players in the Invincibles/pre-Emirates era (caveat I wasn't old enough to remember some of these players and this is mostly from what my Dad told me).

Henry
Anelka
Bergkamp
Vieira
Pires
Cole
Overmars
Campbell
Seaman

World Class players in the Emirates era with Wenger:

Cesc
RVP
Özil
Sanchez
Auba

World Class players in Arteta's reign:

Saka
Saliba
Ødegaard
Partey
*Rice (only one season at Arsenal but it's looking likely)

These are the players whom I regard as undoubtedly elite in their role or position. I'm judging these players on their impact on the team, big moments and concerning other players in their position. Players like Ramsey, Koscienly and Adebayor had world class seasons, but their overall tenure at Arsenal is a topic of debate. Ljunberg, Nasri and Cazorla missed out because they were overshadowed by superior players.

So who wants to tussle with me?
Partey hasn’t been WC at Arsenal he can’t stay fit. He was WC at Atleti. He has that ability in his bag; but for me you can’t be a perennial part time player and be world class. Ode needs to do it for another season. Is he in Bellingham, Musiala, De Bruyne range? I want to see one more great season then i would include him.

Don’t see how people doubt Saka there is one maybe two guys at his position better

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Too many definitions - many conflicting - of world class, too much negativity about our team and love for others.

By a loose composite definition which takes world class to mean players capable of performing on the world stage, prized by managers and admired (however reluctantly) by fans we have several. Definitely Saliba and Saka. Probably Rice (those who say it's soon are bigging up a Madrid one season wonder). Then Martinelli, Gabriel, Ødegaard and Jesus are candidates.

This is why a small squad almost won the league last season and why we're top of the league ahead of teams with world-class players. Why we went toe to toe with the wealthiest club in the world and ended up 17 points in front of a team you say has the world class players we lack.

It's not luck mateys, it's not a fluke, it's not just the manager (though he largely done well). It's not the fans or the plastic internet trolls. It's the players.

Hasan Minhaj Indie Spirit GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

For clarification -what you think is world class is all good.

Just strongly disagree on not believing the current squad to be WC makes you plastic/negative/whatever. Its just an opinion.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Consistently good, one of our top 5 players last season. Arguably the best RB in league last season. Well rounded player good both defensively and going forward.

Neville was considered one of the best RBs in PL history due to his consistency, was nothing flashy and just solid defensively. White is by far a more well rounded player than him.

Doubt I'm going to get much support here due to G.Nev being a bit of a d!ck, but he offered quite a bit offensively to be fair to him.

G.Nev was good at crossing and overlapping, obviously he was no Cafu but he was pretty competent going forward.

Tom Mix

Hasan Minhaj Indie Spirit GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

For clarification -what you think is world class is all good.

Just strongly disagree on not believing the current squad to be WC makes you plastic/negative/whatever. Its just an opinion.
Belief or unbelief in the squad is a personal matter. Some people's standards may be so high that world-class means a generational talent ie only a couple of players in thr world would meet the standard. That's fine but not a definition I agree with.

However those who knock the better Arsenal players and then big up their equals or inferiors in other teams are following their own agendas which makes them plastics or trolls to me.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Belief or unbelief in the squad is a personal matter. Some people's standards may be so high that world-class means a generational talent ie only a couple of players in thr world would meet the standard. That's fine but not a definition I agree with.

However those who knock the better Arsenal players and then big up their equals or inferiors in other teams are following their own agendas which makes them plastics or trolls to me.

Well, many become world class in hindsight so it's not always negative or trolling.

WC is always hard to say with active players because if this was Saka's or Martinelli's peak would they be considered WC? How much does the thought of tomorrow add to their current ratings? What have they really done?

In any case it's similar to many songs I enjoyed in my youth, I had no idea they would become legendary whilst in the moment- I feel like football is the same.

Tom Mix

Well, many become world class in hindsight so it's not always negative or trolling.

WC is always hard to say with active players. because if this was Saka's or Martinelli's peak would they be considered WC? How much does the thought of tomorrow add to their current ratings?

It's like many songs I enjoyed in my youth, I had no idea they would become legendary - I feel like football is the same.
True.

It's subjective. Only a track record of appearances and statistics will guarantee the history books. Plus circumstances. For me Le Tissier was a world class player even though he did not fulfil his potential by staying at Southampton, but he regularly did things on the pitch which few dare to event try and did it indiscriminately against big and small teams. But few people will put him ahead of a water carrier like Deschamps who was in teams which won big trophies.

My point on trools is they are happy to award the status to eg Vinicius Jr but not to Saka. I am certain if they were switched they'd switch their views. It's all about me me me... how can I cause a stir by being daring.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

True.

It's subjective. Only a track record of appearances and statistics will guarantee the history books. Plus circumstances. For me Le Tissier was a world class player even though he did not fulfil his potential by staying at Southampton, but he regularly did things on the pitch which few dare to event try and did it indiscriminately against big and small teams. But few people will put him ahead of a water carrier like Deschamps who was in teams which won big trophies.

My point on trools is they are happy to award the status to eg Vinicius Jr but not to Saka. I am certain if they were switched they'd switch their views. It's all about me me me... how can I cause a stir by being daring.

There is a lot of downplaying regarding Arsenal which I can be a part of at times, you're right.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Depends how you define WC I guess.

Saka is the only one I'd be confident putting there at this moment. Saliba will be there soon.

Martinelli, Ødegaard, Rice all have the potential to get there too

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

If WC is being amongst the top handful in your position then Saka and Saliba are. Gabriel is making strides also, pairs so well with Saliba I think you can say they are a WC pairing.

I dunno how you can say Partey they guy doesn't play football full time.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If WC is being amongst the top handful in your position then Saka and Saliba are. Gabriel is making strides also, pairs so well with Saliba I think you can say they are a WC pairing.

I dunno how you can say Partey they guy doesn't play football full time.
Same could be said about RVP. His best season was undeniably world class. The same could be said of Partey. In general, it's hard to judge injury-prone because you can fall suspect of overrating someone you don't see often.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

That thread isn’t serious. She probably spent hours looking for that Declan Rice pic and ended up sidelining Timber like that 😂

A mugshot una

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
"Fine FC" ffs, I am only here to talk about actual football ability lads...

1534c994-78f3-4606-9c46-4057964d00a1_text.gif

Nah but seriously, let me give that thread a quick once over...

hqdefault.jpg

Arsenal Quotes

Nobody has enough talent to live on talent alone. Even when you have talent, a life without work goes nowhere

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom