• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ki Sung-Yueng

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
This hurt so bad. You wake up and see there are unread post in Vidal thread and there still some emotional italians bumping it up, and then you see this thread, majority of Arsenal fans actually considering this average player.
it's transfer window mate we will get linked with average and quality players but it's all rumors at the moment.

raag

Flamini and Arteta out with Ki in would be fine with me, a tidy player, would be suitable replacement in terms of a squad player and adds a bit of height.

Interesting how opinions flip though, this forum loved to cite United's success with players plucked from slightly lower in the table to win titles.
Keep arteta and this would be perfect

Also a 90 percent pass completion is insane

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

United, Chelsea or City get linked with this lad and everybody here is made up, he's linked with Arsenal and people are trying to make it look a great signing if there's any truth in it. Praising his pass completion when he plays for Swansea who keep the ball for he sake of it as we saw when we went to the Liberty last season for instance doesn't impress me.

He's an average PL player who isn't Arsenal standard, unless people are happy with the top four again next season that is.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
United, Chelsea or City get linked with this lad and everybody here is made up, he's linked with Arsenal and people are trying to make it look a great signing if there's any truth in it. Praising his pass completion when he plays for Swansea who keep the ball for he sake of it as we saw when we went to the Liberty last season for instance doesn't impress me.

He's an average PL player who isn't Arsenal standard, unless people are happy with the top four again next season.

Nah, he's above average. There's a reason why Swansea have done well this season and he's a massive part of it. If he's willing to take a backup role at Arsenal then that'd be perfect.

No different than Chelsea signing Remy or City signing Milner. You need these types of players to fill out the squad. It's simply not realistic to have 7 world class players on the bench every week, not even Barca and Real can manage that. These are the types of players who make injuries hit less hard, something you desperately need.

Coquelin gets injured and old man Arteta/Flamini plays. Ki is a massive upgrade on both of them.

This would be underwhelming signing and it would not been taking us anywhere in few years. You can't have the cake and eat it guys. You can't win the league and sign average players.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We don't need any squad players though, so no point comparing us going after Ki to Chelsea signing Remy and co. Our squad is ****ing massive, seriously, go and have a look how many players we have in the first team, 34 I think it is. We don't need somebody to cover for Coquelin, we need somebody to displace him, like we do with Giroud, and Ospina and Mertesacker.

No wonder we do **** all in Europe when people are happy with these signings.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I agree with Dokaka. You need balance with the players you got. As much as I love Vidal and dream about Lars Bender, it just doesnt sound right often; knowing someone like Santi or Ox doesnt even make it on bench then. Not the names that should end up in stands, not here, not at Real Madrid.
Coq did fantastic this year, and won every chance he can get for the next season. I cant see Wenger taking him off starting 11 anytime soon now. But I can see Boss trying to find someone with different qualities as DM, Arteta style like he loves it. I liked this rumor few summers ago, it did make sense, and ita making sense again. Ki has a nice passing game, bit of a trick too as a DM, and is a tall guy who reads the game well too. Always rated him, and thought he has a good chance of becoming a very good player. will be interesting following this one

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

We don't need squad players. We are 1-2 world class players away from challenging for the title, Ki is a squad player and wont improve the first team.

Also absolutley gutted were keeping Flamini, no need for him at all. I'd pay out my own pocket to see him gone.

How can it not sound right having players like Vidal or Bender in your team? Maybe because everyone expect us to keep been average, keep playing for top 4, no need to push forward because that doesn't sound right.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Keep arteta and this would be perfect

Also a 90 percent pass completion is insane
Not really. 5+ players usually pull it off every season (with many more in the high 80's), and the names on the list aren't usually what you'd expect. According to Whoscored, Flamini had the highest in the league with ~91%.

Ki is a decent player, but I don't think he's what we need. He's not really like Coq at all, much more comparable to Arteta. Would be a similar frustration seeing him play DM. He's more of a traditional CM, and we have enough trouble finding playing time for Jack and Aaron at CM, who are far superior players. Would only take him if he's super cheap and willing to play extremely limited minutes.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
We don't need any squad players though, so no point comparing us going after Ki to Chelsea signing Remy and co. Our squad is ****ing massive, seriously, go and have a look how many players we have in the first team, 34 I think it is. We don't need somebody to cover for Coquelin, we need somebody to displace him, like we do with Giroud, and Ospina and Mertesacker.

No wonder we do **** all in Europe when people are happy with these signings.

This is not FM ffs. Good luck benching 4 starters and sustain a positive squad harmony, it just doesn't happen. Look what has happened to Sp**s and Liverpool, they make that mistake every damn time. Coquelin did a fantastic job this season. It's hardly his fault that you had problems scoring goals towards the end of the season.

Also, you're saying quantity > quality. Arteta out with Ki in is an upgrade to the squad. There are some many deadweights in your current squad like Flamini, Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky, Debuchy (to an extent), Gibbs and the likes, and those are the ones who're fairly close to the starting 11. Saying you have great depth just baffles me. You have the numbers, sure, but the quality most certainly isn't there.

Obviously you need to replace Giroud, but Coquelin has done enough with enough consistency to show that he doesn't deserve being benched; he's good enough. Competition is what you need for his position in someone who can replace the jokesters that are currently behind him in the pecking order.

Ki is playing in a position where you get better with experience, he's improved every season and ticks most of the boxes needed to be an Arsenal player.

Sadly, the only box he doesn't tick is the hypejob one.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ki's really ****ing good, only reason he's underrated is because he plays for Swansea. Not my first choice, but I actually think he'd be great in our first 11. He's exactly the kind of midfielder we should be looking for when it comes to style of play - a midfielder who is a good ball-winner and dictates from deep with very good passing. Granted, we could do better, but not THAT much better.

Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be my first choice but people acting like Ki's a bog standard PL player clearly haven't watched him enough for Swansea this season. I have my preferences, but Ki's a good shout. I could see him at any of the top 4 teams.

GabeGooner

I don't care about Sung-yueng's stats or what he's done at Swansea – as ignorant a thing as that is to say. We need to make a statement with our signings now. What kind of statement does this make – to both our players and our rivals?

We brought in Özil – who we didn't even really need at the time because we had Wilshere and Cazorla – and that took us to another level competitively. Not only did our first XI get much, much better, so did our bench; for the first time in a long time, we had the ability to lose a quality midfield player and still have one available within the squad.

We brought in Sánchez, who also helped us perform at a higher level and made the team/bench stronger too. The work-rate of the team increased because the other lads knew they couldn't walk around the pitch and let him do all the work. Look at some of our performances this season compared to those previously. Look at what Podolski gave us on the flank and compare it to Sánchez's influence on our players.

That's the impact top, top players have on their team-mates; they inspire them to be better; they give them belief that they can win games. We have a young team filled with potential; that's the magic ingredient to make their potential a reality.

Now we need to go again. We've had a fantastic end to the season, we have £70m available to spend (allegedly) and we have an opportunity to really go for titles next year because the team is almost capable of challenging now. We need another holding midfielder, and one that has better quality than Coquelin; we need a forward who can play our system effectively, better than Giroud at the very least; and we need a world-class goalkeeper. We absolutely do not need another squad player; and if we did, we should be looking for squad players with the talent and potential of people like Chambers, Chamberlain, Wilshere and Sterling. Not someone with the talent and potential of Flamini or Arteta.

If we want to be Champions, we have to think like Champions and we have to act like Champions. When City and Chelsea came along, they didn't buy 'squad players' they bought the best talent they could attract, and they've done that every time they've stepped into the market. None of the major teams settle for less, and neither should we.

I love how Hazard is superior to our best player Sanchez but we should still chase the premier league title with signing average players from Swansea.

Even Wenger has hinted that he would sign DMC in the summer if he is world class. Mind you we only got third place, no player in our starting line up is save if we can sign world class players. But going out to sign a average mid-table club players? How are we going to improve, signing players on our bench and keep players who could only give us third place. Think about that.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This is not FM ffs. Good luck benching 4 starters and sustain a positive squad harmony, it just doesn't happen. Look what has happened to Sp**s and Liverpool, they make that mistake every damn time. Coquelin did a fantastic job this season. It's hardly his fault that you had problems scoring goals towards the end of the season.
It's not my job, so I'm not really arsed if signing a better striker than Giroud upsets the soft ****er. Coquelin has done a good job, but again, we can do better and we need better in Europe.
Also, you're saying quantity > quality. Arteta out with Ki in is an upgrade to the squad. There are some many deadweights in your current squad like Flamini, Arteta, Diaby, Rosicky, Debuchy (to an extent), Gibbs and the likes, and those are the ones who're fairly close to the starting 11. Saying you have great depth just baffles me. You have the numbers, sure, but the quality most certainly isn't there.
Nope, you're making stuff up now, if anything I'm saying quality > quantity. Ki would not start for us, he'd be taking up Arteta's role of not being involved in the match day squad or at best sitting on the bench.

Obviously you need to replace Giroud, but Coquelin has done enough with enough consistency to show that he doesn't deserve being benched; he's good enough. Competition is what you need for his position in someone who can replace the jokesters that are currently behind him in the pecking order.
Coquelin is a good option, but this ain't West Ham mate. We need more than a young Flamini in front of our defence, which is why I feel Wenger plays Cazorla at CM, Coquelin can't build play which is something people have noticed in recent weeks.

Ki is playing in a position where you get better with experience, he's improved every season and ticks most of the boxes needed to be an Arsenal player.

Sadly, the only box he doesn't tick is the hypejob one.
Oh boo hoo, obviously that's why people don't want him, it's got nothing to do with people not wanting another Arteta.

Maxim

if we're buying him as a more cultured alternative to le coq (and that's the only midfield signing I can see happening) I'm not convinced. uses the ball well but not much of a ball winner.

RrqBEEA.jpg

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom