• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroud

Established Member
Let's be honest here, a few goals and assists off the bench have papered over the cracks. He still makes poor decisions in attack and sometimes his overall technical game (excluding his dribbling) let him down. No more than an impact player at the moment as we have several better options and although I still think he has potential he needs more time.

carlito'sway

Established Member
See that's where I think he struggles. He has had lots of chances really and has took them but got nowhere as a result. Wenger may like Iwobi for what he brings up Ox has been winning games for us (Reading in the cup) assisting at important moments. He has scored and assisted more in the last couple of weeks than he has in all of last season.

So he has done himself the favours and the reward is benched. That's not right. Then he comes on and thinks he has to try and do fancy dancy stuff above and beyond and plays ****e as a result.

I think he will be gone unless he gets a string of games as a starter. Another England squad he has missed out on being a bit part player, likely to be further down the pecking order when Perez and Welbeck return.

You said her had a lot of chances and he took them.... Was this a typo? I would tend to believe that he actually had a lot of chances and did not take them. Let's just look at his stats the last couple of seasons they are just dire.
This season he played relatively well against arguably the lowest opposition so far, Ludo & Reading, that is hardly an accomplishment. He had a chance to be a spark yesterday but stank the place.

Last edited:

skip spence

@albakos it wouldn't surprise me if he is pissed off. He started against Ludogorets got a goal and an assist only to be benched against Middlesbrough to then score two against Reading to start against Sunderland and get an assist only to be benched in the next two games. He is as productive if not more productive than he has ever been and should have been kept in the side. Instead his reward is a spot on the bench instead of of trying to build on his form. For a player who often is described as lacking confidence that's a sure way to kick him down.

I'd be looking out cause after doing that it's made fairly clear no matter how he performs he'll always be a bit part player
That's simply not true. If anything, the Ox has been given more chances than he deserves based on his performances. And frankly, he hasn't been good this season either. Didn't watch Reading in the EFL cup but it's hardly a hallmark of quality scoring a few goals against lowly opponents in a Mickey Mouse cup . Ox doesn't have the mental strength to compete at the top level and imo never will. I think that Wenger is leaning that way too at the moment.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
That's simply not true. If anything, the Ox has been given more chances than he deserves based on his performances. And frankly, he hasn't been good this season either. Didn't watch Reading in the EFL cup but it's hardly a hallmark of quality scoring a few goals against lowly opponents in a Mickey Mouse cup . Ox doesn't have the mental strength to compete at the top level and imo never will. I think that Wenger is leaning that way too at the moment.

I partly agree with this. Even though he scored two v. Reading, by watching the highlights, he missed chances galore. We could have won with Ludo score if he were more efficient or passed to his teammates.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
See that's where I think he struggles. He has had lots of chances really and has took them but got nowhere as a result. Wenger may like Iwobi for what he brings up Ox has been winning games for us (Reading in the cup) assisting at important moments. He has scored and assisted more in the last couple of weeks than he has in all of last season.

So he has done himself the favours and the reward is benched. That's not right. Then he comes on and thinks he has to try and do fancy dancy stuff above and beyond and plays ****e as a result.

I think he will be gone unless he gets a string of games as a starter. Another England squad he has missed out on being a bit part player, likely to be further down the pecking order when Perez and Welbeck return.
Early days in the season yet but for sure IF he can find some form then he is a potent weapon. Consistency is the key and that's always been his problem - great one day, crap the next. Iwobi maybe offers a more dependable option for Wenger.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'm not too concerned.

Ox has a tendency of playing with real urgency when he's brought on when we're drawing or even losing a game

Because of that urgency however he over-complicates things in an effort to put us on the front foot.

In other words, he kind of loses his bearing.

Case in point was the Monaco game at home in the CL a couple of seasons back.

He comes on all pumped up and energized, scores a good goal which fuels those feelings, and then plays a misjudged pass which leads to a Monaco goal.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

So do we subtract his goals against vastly inferior opposition, or?

I'd say that was a dangerous road to go down... :lol:

It is considering I didn't see anyone else scoring for Reading for instance . It wasn't a tap in he scored either . I'm quite sure he's going to make a solid contribution to our title winning squad this year .

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Early days in the season yet but for sure IF he can find some form then he is a potent weapon. Consistency is the key and that's always been his problem - great one day, crap the next. Iwobi maybe offers a more dependable option for Wenger.

He isn't going to get consistency coming off the bench. I think he should've started that game.

He's the closest thing Arsenal have to Mane, although admittedly he lack's the confidence.... I'd like to see him wide in a 4-3-3 like this

Xhaka - Ramsey - Cazorla/Elneny/Coquelin
Ox - Özil - Alexis

Henderson - Lallana - Can
Mane - Firminho - Coutinho

Last edited:
N

NotAUserName

He isn't going to get consistency coming off the bench. I think he should've started that game.

He's the closest thing Arsenal have to Mane, although admittedly he lack's the confidence.... I'd like to see lay him wide in a 4-3-3 like this Alexis

Xhaka - Ramsey - Cazorla/Elneny/Coquelin
Ox - Özil - Alexis

Henderson - Lallana - Can
Mane - Firminho - Coutinho
As much as I like Ox and want him to get more game time, we can't drop Walcott. Walcott is the closest thing we have to a striker in our current starting XI and his runs are very important especially since Alexis likes to drop deep. Ox's movement isn't as good and until Alexis learns the role properly, Theo still remains an integral part of our lineup. I also don't think we can simply replicate Liverpool's system (although I'm all for the 4-3-3). They are probably the most aggressive attacking team in the league and the fact that a squad which is not even top 4 in the league (on paper at least) can play so well is mostly down to the manager.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'm not too concerned.

Ox has a tendency of playing with real urgency when he's brought on when we're drawing or even losing a game

Because of that urgency however he over-complicates things in an effort to put us on the front foot.

In other words, he kind of loses his bearing.

Case in point was the Monaco game at home in the CL a couple of seasons back.

He comes on all pumped up and energized, scores a good goal which fuels those feelings, and then plays a misjudged pass which leads to a Monaco goal.
Ok so he tends to lose his mind in high profile games yet you're not concerned...help me out here?

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I really don't understand anymore. All of his defenders use his mentality as an excuse for him as if mentality isn't a huge part of the game.

Mentality is just as big as ability ffs, there's no use being talented if you don't have the head for the game. Also nobody is discounting his goals against inferior opposition but take them with a pinch of salt man, people are simply noting that despite his goals in these games his performances are still littered with numerous wtf moments regardless of the level of opposition. That's not a good sign at all.

I don't see a difference between the Ox and other midtable PL wingers, what does he have over them? Iwobi had already leapfrogged him despite lacking end product and we've got more exciting forwards in the youth set-up. Watch what happens.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He would need alot of end product to justify the piss poor general play. One league goal in 380 minutes & one CL goal in 188 minutes is no counterbalance... His previous seasons output is dire.

It annoys me we continue with him & not give more young players a chance at 18/19 just like Ox was afforded. Iwobi & Hector have shown what an asset they can be. Continuing with a washed up 23 year old who plays with the weight of the world on his shoulders helps no one.

A shining example of why the home grown quota doesn't help club or country.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

So do we subtract his goals against vastly inferior opposition, or?

I'd say that was a dangerous road to go down... :lol:
Nail head.

The Ox has played against vastly inferior opponents before and never delivered (except Asian friendlies where people wet their pants) . He delivered in three competitive games on the bounce probably for the first time in an Arsenal shirt.

I don't know how many people play football but that's how confidence begins to blossom. Small consistent steps. @BobP i think makes a good point. He comes on over pumped because he feels he needs to deliver big and the basics go. I see that as plausible given he has done what's asked recently and it's not been good enough to cement a starting spot. Ox knows himself he has this season alone to impress, he said he'll consider his options at the end of the season.

That's why confidence is important. for him it is simple as knowing I'm playing, I can get into a groove and not have to try and jam pack 90 minutes into 15. I think he'll move.

Rocky

Nail head.

The Ox has played against vastly inferior opponents before and never delivered (except Asian friendlies where people wet their pants) . He delivered in three competitive games on the bounce probably for the first time in an Arsenal shirt.

I don't know how many people play football but that's how confidence begins to blossom. Small consistent steps. @BobP i think makes a good point. He comes on over pumped because he feels he needs to deliver big and the basics go. I see that as plausible given he has done what's asked recently and it's not been good enough to cement a starting spot. Ox knows himself he has this season alone to impress, he said he'll consider his options at the end of the season.

That's why confidence is important. for him it is simple as knowing I'm playing, I can get into a groove and not have to try and jam pack 90 minutes into 15. I think he'll move.

I totally agree. Yes and I feel his performance and Iwobi's struggle with his chance showed it would have been the right call to start him on the left. When that chance cam you really wanted Ox there rather than Iwobi.

Rocky

As much as I like Ox and want him to get more game time, we can't drop Walcott. Walcott is the closest thing we have to a striker in our current starting XI and his runs are very important especially since Alexis likes to drop deep. Ox's movement isn't as good and until Alexis learns the role properly, Theo still remains an integral part of our lineup. I also don't think we can simply replicate Liverpool's system (although I'm all for the 4-3-3). They are probably the most aggressive attacking team in the league and the fact that a squad which is not even top 4 in the league (on paper at least) can play so well is mostly down to the manager.

Yes, maybe he should have started on the left. Walcott had a great effort come off the post. I still feel Ox had earned a chance and needs to be backed with a starting spot in those situations.

Agree on the Liverpool thing. Arsenal can't replicate it but I feel they need to switch up tactically. A lot of it comes down to personnel and with Özil to fit in, the aggressive attacking front 3 or 4 isn't going to be achievable. Likewise Klopp and their fitness training...

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

:lol:

Not saying it's not concerning.

I just meant it's nothing new to worry about.
I see. :lol:

I think I've snapped. I haven't rated him for a while but I'm done with him now. He's going to have to produce Theo like numbers to justify his piss-poor general play.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Nail head.

So we should continue to play him despite him being crap. All for confidence sake?

There's no guarantee he would make the step up from EFL games to PL ones while still playing 'well'. In fact there's plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom