• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez: Off to the Old Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheArsenalis

Hes gone. No need to cry about it. Always felt something was off about him, he was incredebly frustating sometimes. Great player Obviously. Have a feeling we will do better without him if we get auba/mkhitarian(spelling?).
i watch some bullshit on skyport someone saying auba isnt an up there player. these horse **** tv personalities doesnt know a good footballer if he is playing for real madrid barca. who does auba numbers these days? where else we gonna find that up there striker? he is quite possible the best striker most proven striker available. i welcome him and mikhitarian whole-fully. i would go out on a limb and say that alone instant leave us better than when we start.

first off we would have two insanely creative player in midfield. behind a striker that wants to make runs.

KROENKE SUCKS

Right -- once that capitulation was made, we should have sold, Lemar or not.

Thats the kind of piss weak Gazidis thinking that caused us to be taken to the cleaners by Barca in the Cesc deal. Its why all these numpty clubs look at us and think they can take our players for peanuts. If you don't think we got what we did for Ox and Walcott because of hardball negotiations epitomised by how we dealt with Sanchez think again. And the easier and cheaper these clubs think they can get our players the more likely they are to tap our players up in the future, so that 30M we lost was 30M well spent and largely recouped as far as I am concerned.

Now the 200+M that we lost by not extending Sanchez earlier to begin with on the other hand...

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Thats the kind of piss weak Gazidis thinking that caused us to be taken to the cleaners by Barca in the Cesc deal. Its why all these numpty clubs look at us and think they can take our players for peanuts. If you don't think we got what we did for Ox and Walcott because of hardball negotiations epitomised by how we dealt with Sanchez think again. And the easier and cheaper these clubs think they can get our players the more likely they are to tap our players up in the future, so that 30M we lost was 30M well spent and largely recouped as far as I am concerned.

Now the 200+M that we lost by not extending Sanchez earlier to begin with on the other hand...
Did you even read what I wrote? I didn't say we should have capitulated, just that once we did (enter negotiations and strike contingency-based deal), we put ourselves in an even worse position by hanging onto Alexis thereafter. Now he's leaving for half-at-best the fee after loafing his way though a few months.

Either ensure the player fulfills his contract (after making such expectations clear and sticking to them) or extricate maximum value at the onset -- the middle ground does the club zero favors, as the player sulks even more and interested clubs are emboldened.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Wenger said we offered him the maximum the club could do.

So, what this tells us is that we can’t Pay top dollar to keep players. Now, let’s assume we had won titles and had great players alongside Sanchez, he would still want to leave as we can’t offer the best pay.

Could argue that you'd have more money available had you won major titles and been a consistent name in continental football. Massive difference in sponsorships, endorsements, TV money etc.

This is not meant as a dig at Arsenal, but it's very hard to see what a company would gain from allying with you right now compared to the other big clubs. Justified or not, there's undeniable a narrative right now (and for the last several years) that equates Arsenal with failure, underperformance and - to some extent - comedy. Brands absolutely love aligning themselves with "the best" (ie. winners), and it's obviously been a while since you've won anything big.

In some ways, the lack of spending has resulted in you actually being able to spend less. Worrying, to say the least, but at the same time you're not exactly miles away from being able to compete either.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If anyone can find the Wenger statement "I will not sell other star player to Manchester United anymore" that he said a week ago it would great.

And a fitting end to this thread

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If anyone can find the Wenger statement "I will not sell other star player to Manchester United anymore" that he said a week ago it would great.

And a fitting end to this thread

Couldn't find that but there was this little gem from November :

Asked on Tuesday if the pair would still be Arsenal players on February 1, Wenger said: "Yes, of course. That is what we said many times."

https://news.sky.com/story/arsenal-...nd-mesut-Özil-not-leaving-in-january-11147395

Jojoba

Özil and Alexis are the key players and a lot depends on them for the title.
Rubbish. They have been here for atleast 4 years each. We have not come anywhere close to winning any title. But on the flip side they have been here and we dropped out of the Top 4 for the first time in 18 years. And it is even looking worse for us this season with both of them still here.

Jojoba

Have we ever sold one of our players for £40 million and above? Other clubs get the best deals from player sales while we get the bare minimum every time. The most we have got is between £30-£35 million for Cesc and The Ox. What a joke.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Have we ever sold one of our players for £40 million and above? Other clubs get the best deals from player sales while we get the bare minimum every time. The most we have got is between £30-£35 million for Cesc and The Ox. What a joke.
That's because we let the players run down the contract. If a player is ****, we should sell soon. Instead, we try to send him on loan trying to make sense of the signing. If a player is good, we need to tie him down with contract extensions. Instead we leave it till the last year so that we need not increase the wages sooner. Surprising how a club of this stature gets the basics wrong.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Could argue that you'd have more money available had you won major titles and been a consistent name in continental football. Massive difference in sponsorships, endorsements, TV money etc.

This is not meant as a dig at Arsenal, but it's very hard to see what a company would gain from allying with you right now compared to the other big clubs. Justified or not, there's undeniable a narrative right now (and for the last several years) that equates Arsenal with failure, underperformance and - to some extent - comedy. Brands absolutely love aligning themselves with "the best" (ie. winners), and it's obviously been a while since you've won anything big.

In some ways, the lack of spending has resulted in you actually being able to spend less. Worrying, to say the least, but at the same time you're not exactly miles away from being able to compete either.

Hit the nail on the head. It's not always just about how good/bad you actually are, but how good/bad you are perceived to be. Success breeds success and failure begets failure etc etc

In plain terms, we've been in the CL every year except the last and we've won 3 trophies in the last 4 years. That is markedly better than Liverpool & Sp**s, comparable to Utd even. But they're perceived differently to us because they're seen to be on the rise, while we're on the decline. It's up to us to change that perception before it sets in permanently.

In terms of commercial deals I still think we're able to make some very attractive deals with significant partners, the only problem is we've made some inefficient deals with Emirates that have worsened in value as the market has developed. As I understand we're stuck with those deals until 2019, at which point we really need to catch up commercially because clubs like Utd are lightyears ahead in that department.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Couldn't find that but there was this little gem from November :

Asked on Tuesday if the pair would still be Arsenal players on February 1, Wenger said: "Yes, of course. That is what we said many times."

https://news.sky.com/story/arsenal-...nd-mesut-Özil-not-leaving-in-january-11147395

freeglenhelder already got the one I was looking for

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/weng...sanchez-to-premier/1r924mmgu4m4n1kdajxulkts2x

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
George W. Bush

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Think there are a few people on here who are a bit too casual about losing Alexis. It's a disaster for us.

How are we not after Bailey? He must already be set on going somewhere or flat out rejected our approach.

IslingtonBornandbred

This is exactly what I've been talking about over the years. Whoever handles transfer and contract negotiations for us takes forever quibbling over every single penny.

The deal with United is done big dog. There's a lot to sort out. Alexis, and whether he's still talking to City or delaying to see if they go back in for him. You've got Miki coming the other way. Then you've got United dealing with Alexis's agent and us dealing with Miki's agents and the sort of fees that they require. There's a lot involved in this specific deal.

I'd argue over the years we are very efficient when selling players haha! It's the other way round we seem to struggle to get deals over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup
Top Bottom