• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexis Sanchez: Off to the Old Toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
its frustating that his going to United. You could understand City as they are on the verge of great things this season, United are not, They are in the champions league which we aint. His felt that there so little progress here that its worth taking another risk elsewhere.
United are on what would normally be a title-winning pace, points-wise, are through to the knockout stages of the CL, have a need for attackers / a main man (whereas at City, Alexis would be another face in the crowd), and pay top wages. Even though they're well behind City in the table, going to United isn't a exactly "risk" -- to be honest, leaving us for either Manchester is a totally rational decision by pretty much any metric, with City holding an extra edge in extant squad caliber and United offering more playing time / exposure.

The decision has just probably been made for him as United need him more and are thus willing to offer a better pay and/or play time package.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger said we offered him the maximum the club could do.

So, what this tells us is that we can’t Pay top dollar to keep players. Now, let’s assume we had won titles and had great players alongside Sanchez, he would still want to leave as we can’t offer the best pay.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Actually, we have known since beginning of the summer that Alexis was not going to renew. Plenty of time to get replacement and come up with a plan B..

Yeah we should have acted early and got Lemar or someone else in, but even if that happened chances are we'd not get someone of the same quality as Alexis. City would still have dominated as much and everyone would have seen it as us selling the title to City and giving up before the season even started, that's just horrible optics for the club, even worse than selling now to United..

We got unlucky with Chile going out of the world cup, making it even worse for Alexis. We took a gamble that Alexis' qualities gave us the best chance to get back in the top 4, which would have been worth more than whatever money we got for him, didn't work out.

Knowing what I know now, I still maintain the club did the right thing to keep him in the summer. I have major doubts about Mkhi, but if he does well here, we would have made the best out of a bad situation.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Wenger said we offered him the maximum the club could do.

So, what this tells us is that we can’t Pay top dollar to keep players. Now, let’s assume we had won titles and had great players alongside Sanchez, he would still want to leave as we can’t offer the best pay.

yeah that's always been our reality.. Even Vieira was desperate to leave almost every summer in the early 2000's and that team was among the best in Europe at the time..

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah we should have acted early and got Lemar or someone else in, but even if that happened chances are we'd not get someone of the same quality as Alexis. City would still have dominated as much and everyone would have seen it as us selling the title to City and giving up before the season even started, that's just horrible optics for the club, even worse than selling now to United..

We got unlucky with Chile going out of the world cup, making it even worse for Alexis. We took a gamble that Alexis' qualities gave us the best chance to get back in the top 4, which would have been worth more than whatever money we got for him, didn't work out.

Knowing what I know now, I still maintain the club did the right thing to keep him in the summer. I have major doubts about Mkhi, but if he does well here, we would have made the best out of a bad situation.

Keeping him for his final year was still the right decision IMO. Where the club absolutely ****ed up was reneging on their stance to keep him and buckling to City at the 11th hour.

That did enormous damage.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
if only arsenal players would then show they can win a game of football without alexis, so far they have proved they have zero creativity or threat without him.
Partly true. We miss Özil more for creativity and sadly,the search for a top CF continues. With JW filling the Santi chasm we can push forward. Lately with Alexis,he simply refused to pass to anyone he deemed unworthy so his efforts were in vain. We may be lacking but we might be able to cobble together enough players with a clue and start winning again.

progman07

Established Member
We should have done a lot more to keep him in the last 3 years. At least one player of similar quality/prestige should have arrived. Wasn't it the following summer, which only involved signing Cech on a free? Ridiculous.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Hes gone. No need to cry about it. Always felt something was off about him, he was incredebly frustating sometimes. Great player Obviously. Have a feeling we will do better without him if we get auba/mkhitarian(spelling?).

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Partly true. We miss Özil more for creativity and sadly,the search for a top CF continues. With JW filling the Santi chasm we can push forward. Lately with Alexis,he simply refused to pass to anyone he deemed unworthy so his efforts were in vain. We may be lacking but we might be able to cobble together enough players with a clue and start winning again.

to be fair there are several players who actually are were unworthy and should not be regular starters for us

Welbeck
Theo
Coq
El Neny
Monreal
2 out 2 more to go!

Iwobi (but still have faith in his potential

we will have one helluva barebones squad thou, but youngsters will be bloodied

we most def should put everything into the EL, the cup and the league IN THAT ORDER of priority

TheArsenalis

Think there are a few people on here who are a bit too casual about losing Alexis. It's a disaster for us.
im kinda of them, i know we wont bring anyone else with his quality. but im still glad he is gone now and its over.

team dynamics will have to change that could bode well for us. if we keep Özil and get auba. he looks like a full threat, big strong stong quick and powerful Özil could make him a star. think cesc/adebayor.

Özil and Sanchez are good together but Sanchez is barely a runner. he doesn't try to get behind defense. he wants to pass the ball to Özil, and he has great ideas but **** execution. give that job to Özil and let our striker make some runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom