• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Sokratis intantly becomes Man Utd and Chelsea's best CB as he will for us.

Better than Bailly? I'd take Smalling over Sokratis too.

As for Chelsea Rudiger is very underrated, Christensen as potential, Cahill is better and Azpiliceuta is there too. I'm sorry I just don't see it.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Christensen is the best CB in the league for me. He's already been worldclass at Gladbach and still young as well.

Aside from that there are only a few CBs in the league who are better than Sokratis.

I mean this in a non-confrontational way:

Who would you not be underwhelmed by?

Mate common, its 34 right back and Dortmund backup.

While everyone here can have their own idea what the plan really is, to make those signings be more understandable the manager need to come out asap and explain what the plan is so we can get fully behind it!

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
C
Christensen is the best CB in the league for me. He's already been worldclass at Gladbach and still young as well.

Aside from that there are only a few CBs in the league who are better than Sokratis.
Christensen the best CB in the League? No way and I doubt you`ll find many Chelsea fans even saying he is their best. Obviously very talented though.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard

As for Chelsea Rudiger is very underrated, Christensen as potential, Cahill is better and Azpiliceuta is there too. I'm sorry I just don't see it.

None of them are near the level Sokratis displayed between 2014-2017 bar Azpiliceuta and maybe Christensen who like you said has potential to be surpass him.

TromsoGooner

Not sure what I think of Sokratis being brought in. As mentioned by others Squillaci and Silvestre says hello though Sokratis is the better player.

On the plus side you won`t see any strikers bullying him and he hs plenty of experience, Mavropanos should learn a lot from him as well.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
C

Christensen the best CB in the League? No way and I doubt you`ll find many Chelsea fans even saying he is their best. Obviously very talented though.

Different oppinions obviously and fair enough to think otherwise.
But I've watched him on a weekly basis and that guy has been in the top 3 CBs of the BL over years for me.

I prefer to judge a player's performance always based on the overall performance of the team as anyone, even the best player in the world, can look **** in a game when all teammates are not in their required position or lack attitude.

Think City has great defenders but not a single one that is not replaceable. In that sense, in that great City side Christensen would work like a charm.

But still, let's say top 3 CB and I dont wanna decide on who's one step ahead there.

In general, I think that the PL does not really stand out when it comes to CBs.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
A bit meh to be honest, but we're not in a position to be picky.

At least we're addressing some of our issues....still need a CB, a CM and a winger, at least.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Bailly has been dropped for being ****. Man u fans hating on him too.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Say what? Christensen been costing Chelsea goals for fun and was rightfully dropped towards the end of the season.

Yeah, he had some games where he did not look his best, that's true.
But overall I still think he belongs in that category and considering his age I cant think of anyone in the league who comes close to him.

Last edited:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
It all depends if we actually invest big on someone or not. Not against having Sokratis if it means the focus will be on getting a top CM, GK or another CB (if we sell mustafi).

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
One thing we shouldn't forget:

It's true we are signing good players, rather than world class players. We have been doing so in the past, but under Wenger, who was not able to integrate those players into the team as to get the best out of them, let alone improve them (rather the opposite for some). Right now we have a manager with the reputation to build a solid team on a tight budget with high work rate and a desire to win. A manager who is also renowned for improving players.

Were we making these signings under Wenger I would be more skeptical. But with Emery and Sven here I feel there is a solid plan behind this. Can't wait for preseason.

Aevi

Hale End FC
If he were not Greek and playing for Dortmund, would we still be in for him? I think no, and that's a concern.

He could be good, but I think we should try for better.

ptrcopp

I want to see Mustafi given the chance under Emery however the signing of Sokratis signals that probably won't be the case considering both are right sided CBs.

Soyuncu ( a left sided CB) also being heavily linked to us.

But surely the first CB we sign has to be regarded as replacement for Kosh who may even be out for the whole season? Earliest expected is Jan and it is Arsenal.
Also, Mustafi is the only CB I have seen play that seems insistent on playing on the same side. Obviously all have preferences, but Merte played LCB for us previously on occasion, and for all the conversation about Ramos because of the CL final, he plays wherever.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

If he were not Greek and playing for Dortmund, would we still be in for him? I think no, and that's a concern.

He could be good, but I think we should try for better.

Genuine question, do you not trust our new recruitment team? I think he'll be a fine player for us, most Dortmund fans know he's under performed this year, but in the past few seasons he's be great. I trust Sven with this one.

TromsoGooner

The Greek defender showed several grotesque errors in the game. Manchester United are interested in the centre-back, according to reports, but the scouts may have scratched his name off their list on Thursday. 2/10

From the game where Salzburg dumped Dortmund out of the EL:

Emmanueleboue2

this is mustafi,perez,debuchy type of signing all over again. This will not work and we will be in even deeper **** filling the team with okish players instead of just buying 1-2 very good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom