• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Wembley Hotspur v Arsenal | March 2, 2019 12:30 GMT | BT Sports

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBL

Established Member
What happened? Couldn't watch the second half, sounds like both penalties shouldn't have been awarded, we missed a few chances and Aubameyang took a shocking pen (his pens have never convinced me)

Was the Torreira challenge bad?

A win would've been f*cking massive for us so gutted about that but if United draw it might not be a terrible point. Sp**s luck will run out eventually and they still have to play City/Pool away.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
As I said before the game. Historically very difficult go get a win here. They were totally there for the taking.

We were right behind the pen. My mate said “he’s gonna miss this”

ptrcopp

As I said before the game. Historically very difficult go get a win here. They were totally there for the taking.

We were right behind the pen. My mate said “he’s gonna miss this”

I agreed with what you said before, and because of the history one wouldn’t mind seeing the result.

It was more how it came about

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I believe the Torreira red should be rescinded seeing as Rose made a worse challenge in the same game.

I’m not sure how these tribunals work but that seems like a fairly solid argument.

We all know that won’t happen though.

That’s definitely not how they work. If it’s not a black and white decision like the wrong player being sent off or an incident that hasn’t been seen by the officials, they do everything in their power to deter appeals, because they care more about not undermining the authority of referees than they do about right or wrong.

VAR is truly their worst nightmare. It will show how incompetent their officials really are.

GoonerBoy19

United scored in 88th minute. They just know how to finish top 4, Auba should have scored it irrespective of the decisions.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
What happened? Couldn't watch the second half, sounds like both penalties shouldn't have been awarded, we missed a few chances and Aubameyang took a shocking pen (his pens have never convinced me)

Was the Torreira challenge bad?

A win would've been f*cking massive for us so gutted about that but if United draw it might not be a terrible point. Sp**s luck will run out eventually and they still have to play City/Pool away.

That's correct. Neither penalty should have been awarded. Kane was clearly offside and I don't think there was enough on Aubameyang for his penalty. To make matters worse, Vertonghen was charging into the box as Aubameyang took his (horrible) spot kick. By FIFA regulations, that alone should have required a re-kick, but to make matters worse it also put Vertonghen in position to keep Aubameyang from scoring on the rebound.

Arsenal would have taken three points today if VAR was in effect. In a vacuum, a draw in this game isn't really a bad result, but the circumstances make it a highly disappointing one. On the positive side, the team continued to play very well and with great effort. There's a pretty favorable run of games to finish out the season once the United game is clear, so I'm still feeling pretty good about the team's chances of finishing 4th (or even 3rd).

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Pissed off. We now have to beat United to stand a chance of finishing top 4.

A draw against Manu wouldn't be too bad either really, worst case scenario we'd be 2 points behind 4th place with the easier fixtures left on paper..

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
A draw against Manu wouldn't be too bad either really, worst case scenario we'd be 2 points behind 4th place with the easier fixtures left on paper..

Yep. United still has City and Chelsea (albeit both at home) and a trip to Wolves that could prove tricky. Both clubs play Everton away, but Arsenal would expect to win out after the United game (not that there won't likely be a blip or two along the way).

Giroud12

Very happy with the perfomance. Think Emery got the tacticts spot on, and every player worked really hard. People questioned the team before the game, but it turned out to be the right team. Tactical masterclass from Emery this, outplayed Poch without much trouble.

We scored a legitimate goal and they didn´t, so of course getting a draw is very disappointing, but then again considering our away record over the past seasons, being by far the better team and disappointed with a draw in a big away game is a good thing.

I´m way more angry with their pen then the fact that Auba missed ours, because Auba´s miss is at least down to us, while theirs is incompetence from the refs. It´s embarrasing really, and today is the final nail in the coffin for any argument against VAR. To make matters even worse, Vertongen (saving the rebound) was 4 yards inside the box when the pen was taken. It´s an embarrasment for the sport.

Luckily VAR comes into play next season, and today´s game is even more comical considering Manu got an offside goal now. Us losing 2 and them gaining 2 points can turn out critical in the end. What bothers me is the fact that Auba takes penalities at all, seeing as he rarely does well, even when he scores them. If the keeper guess the right side, he´s guaranteed to save it. Mkhi is full of confidence and should have taken it, and ironically Laca would have scored as well.

Emery showed yet again he´s the real deal - we have been very good in three big away matches this season, and only missed sitters (Chelsea) and refereeing mistakes (Manu, Sp**s) prevented us from getting the win in all three games. We look very good now and this game only gives me more confidence we´re in good shape for 4th. Sp**s has looked awful for weeks now and we can easily overtake them, and we are favorites against Manu next week.

Also, no need to go crazy at our strikers today. They were not good today but have showed that they are world class most other games of the season. Take a minute and remind yourselves that there was a time when we started guys like Bendtner, Chamakh, Sanogo, Gervinho and even Giroud.

Play like we have for the past 3 games and we can easily get both top 4 and win the EL. COYG!!!!

HBL

Established Member
That's correct. Neither penalty should have been awarded. Kane was clearly offside and I don't think there was enough on Aubameyang for his penalty. To make matters worse, Vertonghen was charging into the box as Aubameyang took his (horrible) spot kick. By FIFA regulations, that alone should have required a re-kick, but to make matters worse it also put Vertonghen in position to keep Aubameyang from scoring on the rebound.

Arsenal would have taken three points today if VAR was in effect. In a vacuum, a draw in this game isn't really a bad result, but the circumstances make it a highly disappointing one. On the positive side, the team continued to play very well and with great effort. There's a pretty favorable run of games to finish out the season once the United game is clear, so I'm still feeling pretty good about the team's chances of finishing 4th (or even 3rd).
Very frustrating. I'm never confident when Auba takes pens though but I suppose we didn't really have anyone else, I'd probably trust Xhaka more. Sp**s are awful at the minute, I can seem them struggling with their fixtures when they are expected to win. Don't think we need to win against United to stay in the top four race at all, it would certainly be a bonus though!

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Yep. United still has City and Chelsea (albeit both at home) and a trip to Wolves that could prove tricky. Both clubs play Everton away, but Arsenal would expect to win out after the United game (not that there won't likely be a blip or two along the way).

We play Wolves away as well. Watford and Leicester (I assume there’ll be a Rodgers bounce) away will also be tricky.

HBL

Established Member
We play Wolves away as well. Watford and Leicester (I assume there’ll be a Rodgers bounce) away will also be tricky.
The good thing is a lot of our fixtures that are seemingly tough might be against sides that aren't playing for anything!

Giroud12

Very frustrating. I'm never confident when Auba takes pens though but I suppose we didn't really have anyone else, I'd probably trust Xhaka more. Sp**s are awful at the minute, I can seem them struggling with their fixtures when they are expected to win. Don't think we need to win against United to stay in the top four race at all, it would certainly be a bonus though!

Hindsight is great and all but Auba is quite horrible at pens. He just rolls it to one side (like in the first derby) and if the keeper guesses the right side, its an easy save. Mkhi, Xhaka or maybe even Iwobi would have been better options. Can´t for the life of me understand why they can´t just place it high or at least hammer it down the middle if they are not feeling confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001
Top Bottom