• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
But we've been playing the current formation for most of the season and it doesn't make any sense to move to something else since we had good success with it minus individual defensive mistakes and our tendency to park the bus in the second half.
With the personnel we have, we'd get murdered by playing 3 in the middle and even if we get players that fit that formation, we need time for the players to get used to it, so that's more trial and error.

We've seen first hand you cant play 343 in the smaller games. We need to be able to switch to 433 and 4231 long term. It means getting in the desired midfield players to utilise it.

Also you have the problem of Luiz leaving next summer. It isnt sustainable and we are buying players to fit a 4 at the back.

GunnerShy

We've seen first hand you cant play 343 in the smaller games. We need to be able to switch to 433 and 4231 long term. It means getting in the desired midfield players to utilise it.

Also you have the problem of Luiz leaving next summer. It isnt sustainable and we are buying players to fit a 4 at the back.
It's not a rigid system though is it.
It's 343 off the ball.

Then AMN can push into the midfield and KT goes out to LB into a 433.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's not a rigid system though is it.
It's 343 off the ball.

Then AMN can push into the midfield and KT goes out to LB into a 433.

You're right. But then where does Gabriel play? Hes a very left footed, left sided CB.

I was thinking about who I'd be starting right now if everyone is fit and at the top of their game. And for me -

Martinez
AMN
Saliba
Gabriel
Tierney
Saka
Xhaka
Auba
Pepe

All must start in a best possible team. This is me thinking Saliba and Gabriel naturally will already be way better than what we have. Two slots remaining. Add Partey and Aouar to that and you have a 433 that looks pretty good on paper.

Divided_Pie

You're right. But then where does Gabriel play? Hes a very left footed, left sided CB.

I was thinking about who I'd be starting right now if everyone is fit and at the top of their game. And for me -

Martinez
AMN
Saliba
Gabriel
Tierney
Saka
Xhaka
Auba
Pepe

All must start in a best possible team. This is me thinking Saliba and Gabriel naturally will already be way better than what we have. Two slots remaining. Add Partey and Aouar to that and you have a 433 that looks pretty good on paper.

Try to visualize the final phase of attack - which for Arteta (and Pep) is a 2-3-5.

Start with Auba and Pepe, who ideally are the top goal scorers. Where do you want them? Auba scores most of his goals as an inside forward from the left channel, and Pepe the same but in the right channel. Martinelli likes the same spaces Auba likes, and today Saka was in place of Pepe on the right.

Outside of Auba and Pepe you want players who can overlap and provide crosses/cutbacks from their stronger foot. On the left you have Saka and Tierney, and on the right you have Bellerin, AMN, Cedric, and Willian. The fact that we have so many to fill the right side role here is probably why Bellerin and AMN have been linked to transfers.

In the middle the preference is a player who can come deep between the lines, which can open up space in behind for Auba and Pepe to make runs. This can be accomplished with either a false 9 type of linking player (Lacazette is currently our best option) or a CAM. With your preferred personnel (which wouldn't be the same for me) Aouar would probably be the primary player to complete the five there, with Partey occasionally being the fifth when he carries the ball forward.

Arteta can absolutely produce the attacking structure he prefers from a 3-4-3 (Lacazette) or 3-5-2 (Aouar/Willian/ESR/Özil). If you are fixated on Auba playing centrally it becomes more difficult because he's not the player you want dropping deep centrally. 4-3-3 is not necessary to dominate possession against inferior teams - as long as the players have positional flexibility, which AMN certainly does.

ETA: To answer your question about Gabriel - I highly doubt you're going to see Saliba and Gabriel together at CB in a back four early in the season for PL games. Luiz is going to start. So Gabriel would be LCB with Saliba on the right. You can probably remove Xhaka if you're bringing in Partey and Aouar.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Try to visualize the final phase of attack - which for Arteta (and Pep) is a 2-3-5.

Start with Auba and Pepe, who ideally are the top goal scorers. Where do you want them? Auba scores most of his goals as an inside forward from the left channel, and Pepe the same but in the right channel. Martinelli likes the same spaces Auba likes, and today Saka was in place of Pepe on the right.

Outside of Auba and Pepe you want players who can overlap and provide crosses/cutbacks from their stronger foot. On the left you have Saka and Tierney, and on the right you have Bellerin, AMN, Cedric, and Willian. The fact that we have so many to fill the right side role here is probably why Bellerin and AMN have been linked to transfers.

In the middle the preference is a player who can come deep between the lines, which can open up space in behind for Auba and Pepe to make runs. This can be accomplished with either a false 9 type of linking player (Lacazette is currently our best option) or a CAM. With your preferred personnel (which wouldn't be the same for me) Aouar would probably be the primary player to complete the five there, with Partey occasionally being the fifth when he carries the ball forward.

Arteta can absolutely produce the attacking structure he prefers from a 3-4-3 (Lacazette) or 3-5-2 (Aouar/Willian/ESR/Özil). If you are fixated on Auba playing centrally it becomes more difficult because he's not the player you want dropping deep centrally. 4-3-3 is not necessary to dominate possession against inferior teams - as long as the players have positional flexibility, which AMN certainly does.

ETA: To answer your question about Gabriel - I highly doubt you're going to see Saliba and Gabriel together at CB in a back four early in the season for PL games. Luiz is going to start. So Gabriel would be LCB with Saliba on the right. You can probably remove Xhaka if you're bringing in Partey and Aouar.

Very good post. I personally would prefer Auba on the left. I think it offers us a lot more. I think we need to try and sell Laca because of his contract. But that's for a different conversation.

Actually playing this way means Saka can play at LWB and come in centrally which is nice.

Partey and Xhaka or Xhaka and Aouar as the two CM's but it would mean we'd need a lot more creativity in the strike role.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I'm not the biggest fan of 3 at the back but this team looks pretty well balanced and is very achievable in this stagnant transfer market. We would need more signings in midfield than just Partey to switch to a 4-3-3, it also puts more pressure on Gabriel and Saliba.

Martinez
Saliba Luiz Gabriel
AMN Partey Xhaka Tierney
Pepe Laca Auba

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'm not the biggest fan of 3 at the back but this team looks pretty well balanced and is very achievable in this stagnant transfer market. We would need more signings in midfield than just Partey to switch to a 4-3-3, it also puts more pressure on Gabriel and Saliba.

Martinez
Saliba Luiz Gabriel
AMN Partey Xhaka Tierney
Pepe Laca Auba

If we want to go 343 initially to defend in then this team but swapping Gabriel with Luiz and using Tierney as the third CB is good. Put saka LWB so he can drop into CM when we go forward and Tierney can do what he did yesterday.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We playing 343 because we been forced to we don't have the defense or midfield can play in 433 formation but now Saliba and Gabriel have signed and with midfielders signings we'll can go back 433.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ainsleys such a top class footballer man. I'm usually all for selling so called "squad" players (he should start rb for the record) to fund first 11 players but we have to keep this lad. Ainsley and Saka are the two stand out academy players of the last decade, criminal if we get rid.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
When you are in this position, ie you have a very good young player who is very sellable but you need to raise finances to build, surely its the perfect time for Kroenke to step in. He could fund us to buy Partey or Aouar and take the money back when we've sold Torreira etc. I would hate to sell AMN and watch him continue to improve elsewhere.

Wryer

AMN provides a lot of tactical flexibility. And that's his real value. And based on form, I wouldn't say he's a mere back up. He provides genuine competition to at least 4-6 positions, and that's extremely valuable in today's climate where huge transfer are unlikely.

We should really do our best to keep him. I know there has been lots of naysayers including myself. Then wouldnt it make sense for us to give him a chance now that he is probably the best form of his Arsenal career?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In the current system when we have the ball he plays as a lcm as we move to a 4 3 3. So why can't he play that role from the outset?

Everything that Arteta has done is to adapt to players during the game. We don't have back 4 CB's so we move to a back 3. Without Tierney we played Saka left back and tilted the formation so Xhaka dropped in and the rb tucked in. Originally it was AMN as rb then bellerin took his spot back.

Now that Tierney is back, but we still don't have back 4 CBS, we shift to a back 4 in possession with Tierney pushing up and AMN moving infield to form a 3 allowing Auba to move infield and also whoever is in the right can do the same.

Auba-------CF----------Pepe

If that is your front 3, and it is set in stone. Then why not play AMN and Saka infield as 8s?

----Saka----------------AMN
--------------Partey?

I mean is it that different from where he is playing now? He would still be covering Pepe, he would still be overlapping and under lapping, it's just that his starting position is infield by 10 yards.

I don't see the need to have two players occupying the centre of the pitch who have zero mobility and have no intention of playing thr ball forwards. They can't dribble or break lines. It means everything we create has to be down the wings. Move Saka and AMN central and you have players who can run through midfield as well as cover the flanks allowing your wide players to move in and your full backs to overlap.

The double pivot is so restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom