• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal FC Vs Sunderland FC | Sun,Oct7th,12pm | Emirates Std

Nutsy

Established Member
Back to the Premiership fellas, after a "difficult" game against Steaua Bucharest winning 1-0, inevitably securing us to qualify Champions League Knock-out stages. Now after a tiring away game from Romania, lads are back in England and we're up against an old foe.

So it's..

sunderlandgmecl1.png

Brief Report on Previous Game - Steaua Bucharest Vs Arsenal

Travelling to Romania, up against a side plagued with inconsistency in their board issues and injuries to their players, Arsenal shown no mercy and braced themselves a convincing 1-0 win thus securing three more points. Sitting on top of the Champions League Group H with 6 points, perhaps inevitable for the qualification for the Knock-out stage.

Arsenal started out with complete domination against the Romanian Champions, pressuring them, only Arsenal failed to score. Steaua managed to counter -pressure, Arsenal however managed to overcome eventually. Cesc Fabregas was highlighted in the first half for his horrendous shot from six yards.

Robinson Zapata, Steaua's goalkeeper, almost carried the ball over the line as he stumbled back to catch Gael Clichy's deflected cross. While at the other half, Toure did his job clearing Nicolae Dica's lob.

In the second half, both sides create chances after chances, before Robin Van Persie broke the dreadlock on 76th minute with a superb shot into the roof of the net from Emmanuel Adebayor's cut back, securing Arsenal's ninth successive victory in all competitions.

1-0 win was indeed vital for the Gunners side and travelling back to London to continue their Premiership Campaign.

sunderlandsgamwv1.png

A Few facts on Sunderland FC

* Arsenal's highest attendance at Highbury came against Sunderland; a crowd of 73,295 watched a First Division game on March 9, 1935. The record attendance of our local rivals Tottenham Hotspur was also against Sunderland - On March 5, 1938, 75,038 fans watched the game at White Hart Lane.

* Arsenal legend Cliff Bastin scored his 178th and last goal for the Club in a 2-0 win over Sunderland at Highbury on February 4, 1939. Bastin is still third on Arsenal's list of scorers behind record goal getter Thierry Henry and Ian Wright.

* Arsenal legend Tony Adams made his debut against Sunderland on November 5, 1983. The Gunners lost 2-1.

Premier League History

1992-93 - Avoid relegation to Division Two by one point
1993-94 - Mick Buxton replaces Terry Butcher as manager
1994-95 - Peter Reid becomes manager with seven matches remaining
1995-96 - Win Division One
1996-97 - Relegated from FA Carling Premiership
1997-98 - First season at Stadium of Light. Lose play-off final on penalties
1998-99 - Win Division One with a record 105 points
2002-03 - Break record signing with Tore André Flo for £6.75million. Reid replaced by Howard Wilkinson. Mick McCarthy takes over with nine matches left. Relegated with lowest points tally ever (19)
2004-05 - Win Division One
2005-06 - McCarthy leaves in March after just two wins. Kevin Ball appointed as caretaker. Relegated with new record low number of points (15).
2006-07 - Consortium headed by former hero Niall Quinn takes over. Quinn appointed as manager but sacks himself after four straight defeats. Roy Keane becomes manager. Win the Championship.

Current Premiership Standings

366339183decabf734ebsd3.png

Still sitting up there on top of the league, mighty imprssive start of the season. Let's hope the Gunners an retain this position till may 2008 when we're formally announced.

After the comebacks of our games, where we tend to overplay, creating chances, dominant against the opposing team, we still lack that consistent finishing. However, in comparison of our new campaign this season than the last, we vastly improved.

Hence why I'm starting to feel optimistic ahead of this campaign, both domestically and in Europe. but, surely, we still plagued with injuries, players will leave in January for the African Cup of Nations, can we maintain to go all the way here?

Manchester United are breathing down our necks with only 2 points and 7 goal differences seperating both teams, despite we have a game in hand. I for one hoping this could motivate the players to be more alert in their games and treating all games vital for its three points. And against Roy Keane's Sunderland, it is NOT going to be easy.

Do we have the edge? We'll find out soon enough.

Arsenal-Mania Predicted Line-up

sunderlasnddu2.png

Arsenal Substitutes

- Lukasz Fabianski
- Abou Diaby/Tomas Rosicky - (all depends who will be fit by Saturday)
- Lassana Diarra
- Nicklas Bendtner
- Gilberto Silva

Now, I'm tempted to place Flamini still ahead of Gilberto, unless Arsène decides to rest Flamster and feature Gilberto in the starting line-up. Flamini was superb once again in the Steaua game, and as much as I like Gilberto, I seriuosly can't see Flamini being dropped now. Eboue however, was poor in the game, but, unless Diarra can play replacing him, I can see him starting.

Fabregas in the Steaua game, was not at his best, but managed to overcome Steaua easily. Should've scored that goal, but I'll go easy on him. Hopefully he step up in form ahead of this Sunderland game. Hleb was solid, he was involved much of our created chances, though a tad inconsistent, but after that nasty blow against West Ham last week and still able to produce this game, I'm content and hopefully he can take it up aswell.

Defense was solid, highlighted to Senderos. He was immense. Absolute solidarity in the game. Outshines Toure's performance eventhough Toure had a decent game. More of these moments, pretty much our defense line is set solid. With Clichy making superb defending - though his problems are still his final ball. Both himand Sagna provide the attack quite well, and still producing great runs etc.

Upfront was slightly worrying, with RVP was quiet but superb finish from him eventually. Adebayor lacked the finishing otherwise he could've scored more than enough. Not a good game for both of them to be honest, but still RVP produced a great goal that csecured our victory.

Ahead of this game, we can see how Sunderland in terrible form and run of games, surely, they're looking atleast a point against us, so, them parking the bus playing 10 men behind the ball is inevitable imo. Our strikers upfront must really step up if we want a few goals going in this one.

Injuries still plagued us, not sure, when Gallas, Song, Diaby, Rosicky, Lehmann, and Edaurdo will be back. but despite the injuries we are still doing relatively well. Hoping we could cut down the casuaties if we want total consistency in the campaign both domestically and European stage.

So, COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!

2-1 win I'm hoping this time, but to befrank, any win for us, I'll be content.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Any win for us will be great indeed but lets try and keep a clean sheet and make the run goon for 5 games

We want to make our home become a fortress where teams dont score at all

Man u play on saturday so if they win, they go top.....It will be interesting to see how we respond on sunday

It will say a lot about our attitude

-Shaun-

They seem to get better Nadz :) Top quality.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Starting Line-Up:

---------------------------Almunia--------------------------
----------Sagna----Toure----Senderos----Clichy----
----Walcott----Fabregas----Flamini----Hleb---------
------------------Adebayor----Van Persie----------------

Substutions:

Fabianski
Eboue
Gilberto
Diarra
Bendtner

Score Prediction:

2-0 to Arsenal.

This ISN'T going to be easy at all, but I expect us to get all 3 points. The team is very high spirited at the moment, so I can't see anything else apart from a win.

C'mon Arsenal.

gunner321

Not and easy game, Sunderland were good at OT losing only 1-0. I would say that we will win this game, 2-0, 3-0 maximum. Our defence has looked very strong recently and the fact we have not failed to score yet gives me confidence.

Alfonso

Established Member
I swear this game was supposed to be played on Saturday? 12.45pm kick off on Sunday, on Setanta then? Its good in a way, means we get a extra days rest after our trip to Romania and means we will be fully focused assuming Man Utd get the three points on the Sat and put the pressure on.

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good work mate.

I would rest Fabregas for this game though. He seemed a bit off last night and coupled with the international break (he probably won't start for Spain) I'd rather see him come back fully ready for the big ones against Liverpool and Man United.

vanpersiethegoldenboy

Established Member
Nadz another beauty mate great work :D

an especially tough match that will again test our persistance and determination with Roy Keane in charge the stakes are high i think they will park a bus we need to play on high tempo which hopefully we should last night's perfomances told me we still have some glitches in our system

but we are effective in the end thats what we should do persistantly attack them and they will fall (oops i gotta change Gordon to James for this game)i think RvP is as important as Inzaghi tbh he might not play like Zidane but scores !and outrageous finishes is his speciality so hopefully he will score and so should Niklas score honestly i wasnt impressed by Ade he missed open chances he cant rely on magic all the time

i think Almunia made a small error whic could have cost us 2 points but in all fairness to him Phil and Toure were late to react to the pass and he HAD to come out hopefully that mistake should be forgotten and should start as he gives me a sense of composure and calmness
Senderos's critics might go on a holiday after tonight's match and will be eager to
jump on him during Sunderland match and he should gain confidence as he had a good game tbh hopefully it will be a 2-0 win

ArsenalwithoutVieira

hopefully last nights game didnt take it's toll on players both energy wise and injuries. I agree i expect to see same team as played last night.

True Gooner

Established Member
Heres an interesting fact - Sunderland are as adept as us when it comes to scoring at the very last moment (I heard that 50% of their goals this season have been in the end of the match) - dont take them for pushovers, their as good as any other Premiership team..

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is a a must-win game.

My starting XI:

_______Almuna
Sagna___Kolo__Senderos__Clichy
Hleb____Cesc__Flamini___Diaby
_______Adebayor__Eduardo

Sub: Fabianski, Hoyte, Diarra, Walcott, RvP

MMmm. how I hope that I can select seven players into the substitution. :roll:

4-1 win to Arsenal. The only Sunderland goal would come from Anthony Stokes.

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
12 Thats an odd time for Kick Off. Anyway I cant see us having many problems in this match, a few goals and a clean sheet and I'll be happy. Hopefully we will see more of Eduardo in this match.

Alfonso

Established Member
its 12 kick off? I thought 12.45. 12 is way too early, most of our players will be half asleep. I hate early kick offs. It doesnt feel like a proper match, the supporters dont sing as much, the atmosphere seems odd and the players seem they have just woken up and dont take the game that seriously. Blackburn at home in the cup last season is a prime example. 12 kick off is way too early. Feel sorry for the Sunderland fans.

tam1886

Established Member
true gooner said:
Heres an interesting fact - Sunderland are as adept as us when it comes to scoring at the very last moment (I heard that 50% of their goals this season have been in the end of the match) - dont take them for pushovers, their as good as any other Premiership team..
Not only that, but Keane will be pushing them that little bit harder since its us that they're playing.

illmatik

Established Member
Good thing Vieira's not playing for us anymore, Keane's tactics would have been annihilate Vieira

Rahul

Any news on Willy and Tomas?

Were they not supposed to return against Sunderland?

Juicy

Lord Dula said:
I think we should give Bendtner a start and rest Ade.
I'm not sure about that. I reckon start full strength, then at half time, if we are two or three goals to the good, then we can take off Adebayor, Fabregas, maybe Hleb to keep us fit. This is the kind of fixture that we have to win. I know you could say that for any game, but if we can be sure to beat all the lesser teams at home, we can rack off a few points like that. We need to be the team that can beat worse teams, and beat them comfortably.

awooga83

Established Member
Another Bizarre and early kick-off, potentially could be a difficult day. Definatly need to be winning these types of games not being disrespectful, just a fact.

Hopefully Van Persie can keep his scoring form, i'd be tempted to rest Ade as well he has looked a little lost these last two games.

Dez

With all respect for Sunderland... These are the games you simply must win to be champions, simple as that. And I think we should win, comfortably.

Arsenal Quotes

It is well known the referees are protected very well like the lions in the zoo so we have to live with their decisions

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom