• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal FC Vs Wigan Ath FC | Sat,Nov24th,3pm | Emirates Std

MDGoonah41

Established Member
7483326_7_1.jpg

7483328_7_1.jpg

7483340_7_2.jpg

_44259670_walcott_getty.jpg

_44259779_gallas_getty.jpg

_44259809_tr_getty.jpg

nazo

Established Member
Alright can anyone tell me how the game went? Missed it because i had an exam.
Any injuries? How was the overall performance? We missed Cesc and Hleb didn't we?

tam1886

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
Anyway, can anyone explain to me what Wenger planned for Eduardo to do? Wenger definitely wasn't putting him up front as striker (since Bendtner was the man for man substitute for Walcott), and he stuck him in some midfield role which I simply don't understand (and neither, it seems, does Eduardo himself). Wenger appeared to have tried the same thing with Baptista and that certainly didn't work out, but there has to be some higher wisdom which I fail to see.
Wenger had players playing all over the place today. From, what I remember, firstly we had the first team line up with Walcott and Ade up top, and Eboue and Rosicky on the wings.

At HT that became

Eboue----------------------Walcott
-------------------Rosicky
--------------Ade

When Eduardo came on it became

Walcott---------------------Rosicky

-----------Ade----Eduardo

When Walcott went off it became

Rosicky---------------------Eduardo

-----------Bendtner---Ade

tam1886

Established Member
bluenaz said:
Alright can anyone tell me how the game went? Missed it because i had an exam.
Any injuries? How was the overall performance? We missed Cesc and Hleb didn't we?
Walcott got stretchered off injured but I just found this on the official site

On Theo's injury...
"Theo looks not bad. The physio told me he has to come off straight away because he was numb, he has been kicked certainly on the nerve. He twisted his ankle, we checked his X-ray now, he looks alright"

We didn't get going until the 60th minute. Lots of passing but no cutting edge. A few chances but not much we should have defintely put away. Walcott was a bright spark, and Rosicky done well when moved to AM. Diarra looked good, as did Bendtner when he came on. Kind of looked like a game from last season until we scored late on.

Hope the exam went well btw

IBL

Established Member
Just came back from the match, immensely frustrating but we got the all important goals at the end and it was such a huge relief when we scored because it was hard to see where the goal was going to come from.

Our main attacking threat Theo was taken out disgracefully by that big lump Heskey, I hope his injury isnt too bad. Ade again just wasnt sharp enough in front of goal but kept going. Eboue was ruddy useless again, not sure why Wenger persists with him becuase Eboue seems to coast through games and does sod all when in pocession. Denilson and Diarra were ok in midfield but there was no creativity between them - they're both holding playings, good ones, but they're not going to pose much of a threat in the final thrid...they dont have the vision or range of Cesc to pull the strings from the middle. I believe thats why in the second half Rosicky was pushed more central and Theo was put on the left, and to an extent it worked as we really took it to Wigan.

The one player who came on and made the difference was Bendtner, straight away he made his presence felt and the Wigan defence just didnt know how to handle him. Great layoff for the first goal (brilliant cross by Sagna and quality header by Gallas) and then quick burst and perfect ball for Rosicky for the second goal. Bendner may come across as a bit of an arrogant upstart but the boy has something about him and I reckon he could be a big plus for us.

good to see Bolton not roll over for once against ManU. Sadly after the final whistle they didnt show the other scores on the big screen, it would have been great to have a big cheer around the stadium for ManUre's loss

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Ice Berg legend said:
Just came back from the match, immensely frustrating but we got the all important goals at the end and it was such a huge relief when we scored because it was hard to see where the goal was going to come from.

Exactly how I felt. It was painful trying to watch us remove the Wigan bus, while freezing my nuts off. I just couldn't see us scoring. Even Bramble was brilliant for Wigan!

scruzgooner

fecking eboue was useless today. i sure as hell hope the "spot" mr. wenger is looking to possibly fill in january is a right-sided midfielder. eboue should be sent to the anc and never let return...

other than that, pretty pedestrian stuff until about 3/4 of the game was done. walcott looked useful, made one or two brilliant turns away fromd defenders, and came pretty close to getting an assist on ade's shot pollitt blocked.

clearly we lacked creativity, but i am happy to see us win a game like that (ten in two ranks of five to beat) with late goals. nik was the game-changer, his pass to rozza was perfect, his pass to sagna with just enough pace for sagna to whip it in with control and speed. nick's run was also pretty tasty prior to his pass, so credit to him. keep taking your chances, you'll get gametime.

other than useless eboue there wasn't a lot of pro or con. i do think diarra is pretty tidy, as is denilson, just not at the same time. ade was a beast, but just couldn't put it over. edu looked fine, and our defense was top notch (except for the mixup between gallas and kolo nearly letting bent in). bravo to the goalscorers, and to willie for leading by example...loved the scream, willie, loved the scream.

IBL

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
Ice Berg legend said:

Exactly how I felt. It was painful trying to watch us remove the Wigan bus, while freezing my nuts off. I just couldn't see us scoring. Even Bramble was brilliant for Wigan!
Yes, Bramble is usually a pile of crap in every match but somehow managed to have something close to the game of his life against us.....and it was f'kin freezing out there!

kanooo

USArsenal said:
Invincible said:
We're going to win the title.

lets not go there just yet

But I'm feeling really good about this season.

We were not clicking at all in the first half (understandable since we're out of several major key players). But thank God we got better and better towards the end.

We are 3 points above our nearest challengers with a game in hand. It's all good at the moment.

Villa (away) could be a tougher nut to crack though but we can go there with much confidence.

And ... thank you, Bolton! :)

True Gooner

Established Member
sesquioxide said:
tam1886 said:
Deliver for our set pieces is generally poor, which is inexcusable considering the standard of the rest of out football. Last year, I thought Denilson was the best set piece taker we had, but he never excelled at it today

I definitely think so. Maybe Wenger just spends all the training time developing fitness and passing and just never get to the set piece delivery. There is no reason why if the squad worked on set piece delivery that Fabregas is almost the only one we can have any hope of giving a good corner or free kick that isn't of the shot on goal variety (and even then, not all the time).

Gallas is quiet imaginative at set plays..he always seems to have a word with the kick taker and giving them ideas

arsmile

Established Member
i posted this in the lobby match thread.....i wouldnt let me finish posting it, then 7 identicle posts came up and then the thread disappeard.........anyway- here's wha i've got to say...

I usually like to say quite a lot about the matches, but when I cant see it live on tv, I wait to see the 60minute highlights on sky- therefore I don’t really feel I can give any of the players ratings or anything, I saw 2/3rd of it- but I often think they don’t always show what I would- so…yeah

Anyway- what I can say is that it was another fantastically professional performance, and there are a couple of notable points-

- Gallas deserves a 10 or something- great captains performance, protecting our youngsters always a fantastic offensive option when we need a goal
- Our defence was superfluous, almunia could have kept a clean sheet with his hands tied behind his back
- Rosicky really stepped up and performed like he rarely does for arsenal- took responsibility in midfield as our only first choice in their
- Seems to me, rosicky tends to play better on the right; hleb tends to be more effective coming in from the left, as opposed to the right, perhaps that is something we need to think about?
- Diarra and denilson both held there own, showed we don’t have to worry if we need to play either them, but also it looks as if cesc and matthieu have nothing to worry about with regards to their starting spots
- It was a shame what happened to wallcott, and he played ok, but we looked far more effective once he went off, in fat bendtner looks far more ready for the first team than theo, who I reckon is physically more or less there but his decision making is at best, poor – and I don’t think him and adebayor are mutually exclusive- he could partner him easily- but hopefully robin isn’t that far off..or we could, and I know this is ridiculously radical, but we just could, now bear with me, you may think I’m crazy, but we could, could, could …start eduardo???!!!
- I’m loving the situation we are in, I am loving the form of our squad!!

Actually, I saw the manure game on telly…filled me with confidence- carrick and Hargreaves look gawd-awful, pique at centreback would make cygan look like Adams, they loose rooney and Ronaldo and simply cant convert any chances- he missed 6 proper first teams- and coped really comfortably, the depth in our squad as well, missing 6 players, we are not flying against a weak team, the bench provides eddy and bendy- who (particularly the latter) finished the game off. Manure brought on Anderson (who to be fair looks quite good) but still couldn’t do anyting- and their solution- in the last 5 minutes, when they desperately needed a goal- bring john o’shea on……says it all

I am now, officially- optimistic………….

Alfonso

Established Member
Sammer said:
The problem is our lack of lethal passing. Both Hleb and Cesc contribute the vast majority of assists by playing superb and precise passes.

Rosicky isn't quite there yet.

lol, your making Rosicky sound like he is a 17 year old rookie. Rosicky was playing superb passes when Hleb was a nobody and Cesc was in diapers.

Alfonso

Established Member
Sammer said:
On a positive note, Rosicky's form is on an upward curve. I hope he stays fit for the upcoming games.

He has had a good season, apart from two weak games agaisnt Liverpool and Man Utd. On the whole he has been a solid 7/10 for the whole season. But he can do much more. This is his 6th consecutive EPL game, so much for being that injury prone.

mood

Alfonso said:
Sammer said:
On a positive note, Rosicky's form is on an upward curve. I hope he stays fit for the upcoming games.

He has had a good season, apart from two weak games agaisnt Liverpool and Man Utd. On the whole he has been a solid 7/10 for the whole season. But he can do much more. This is his 6th consecutive EPL game, so much for being that injury prone.

Like most players, Rosicky needs time after injury to find his top form. And he always does that! How many times have we seen Rosicky hit exceptional form for us and then some injury ruins it.

Let's hope he can stay fit for as long as possible until Hleb returns atleast.

His 4th goal of the season and his goal ratio is better than it seems. He's played 50 games for us and has scored 10. That's 1 goal every 5 games, which is decent for a midfielder.

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom