• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal FC Vs Wigan Ath FC | Sat,Nov24th,3pm | Emirates Std

Legend#1

Established Member
With Hleb, Cesc and to a certain extent, Robin, we were always going to struggle to be as creative as we usually are.

Also, a game after the international break, I was worried before the game, and my worries soon turned to reality as the game wore on.

But Gallas is a man, who is a winner, a monster, a warrior, he also has the knack of being in the right place at the right time to score goals, he did it a lot at Chelsea and he already has 10ish goals for us, it was a brilliant run and header, and what a ball by Bacman.

With Cesc back for the next Prem game, and hopefully Robin, things are looking good, 3 points clear, game in hand.

If we're still top by new year, i'll stick my neck out and say we'll win the title.

IBL

Established Member
The signs were there for us to slip up against a team we would normally be expected to bury no probs: we'd just got back from international break, we had an unfamiliar midfield devoid of our two most creative players [Cesc + Hleb] and we were playing a scrapping relegation fodder team that had just appointed a new manager and players usually up their games cos they want to impress the new boss.

So all in all a satisfactory result and 3 vital points. Cesc, Hleb and RvP to now hopefully return and feature in the all important festive fixtures. With lots of consequetive away fixtures the real test starts now, we've had an disproportionate amount of games played at home so far

Long Time Gooner

arsmile said:
It was a shame what happened to wallcott, and he played ok, but we looked far more effective once he went off, in fact bendtner looks far more ready for the first team than theo, who I reckon is physically more or less there but his decision making is at best, poor
Spot on with that mate.

banduan

Established Member
Couldn't watch- was driving to my wifey's parent's.

Was listening on BBC Int'l. HT 0-0 and I thought: Walcott's gonna come on and change the game.

Then I realised he was already on!! WTF?

I thot we wus screwed, as Dudu has shown he can't be an impact sub then gave a sigh of relief when Nicky Bendy came on. Forgot we had two strikers on the bench!

He duly delivered. Wifey was sleeping when we got the second goal and Reebok Stadium match was FT. Woke her up with my hooting! lol

Zico

Established Member
Was a very frustrating game to watch. We're lucky we came across a toothless Wigan because we had absolutely no enterprise in the first half.

Watching the game, I kept thinking about how much we rely on Hleb and Fabregas to set up offense. Rosicky is coming along, but he's a counter-attack player. He doesn't set up a half-field offense like Fab and Hleb. Both Diarra and Denilson are fine players, but neither are playmakers. Given Eboue's lack of bite, one wonders if we should consider adding someone like Modric to give us depth in January. It would be a small price to pay to ensure we stay on track to win title.

Gallas was immense yesterday. A real captain's performance. His aggression and determination are what we've lacked a bit from the Henry/Gilberto leadership. He's protective off his flock and has scored two of our most important goals this season. My MOTM, with special mention to Bendtner and Rosicky.

Tony Montana

Established Member
quincy42 said:
Watching the game, I kept thinking about how much we rely on Hleb and Fabregas to set up offense. Rosicky is coming along, but he's a counter-attack player. He doesn't set up a half-field offense like Fab and Hleb.

But how much do Manure rely on Rooney and Ronaldo?

Zico

Established Member
Good point, Toni. They are very important players, but I also have the belief that as the season grows, Tevez, Nani and Anderson will all become more influential. All three of them are quality players. One of them singlehandedly kept West Ham in the league with this playmaking and scoring abilities.

Without Hleb and Fabregas we typically do not flow. We only played well in that Carling Cup romp against Sheffield. My belief that someone like Modric/Nasri would help is also based on the fact that we have poor depth on the wings. I would rather have one of those guys than Eboue, Diaby, Diarra or some of the other misfits Wenger deploys there.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Let's not forget the Newcastle game earlier this season.

If Tevev, Nani and Anderson can grow then so can Denilson and Diarra, even if not on the wings. We also have Edu and Bendtner to step up.

Zico

Established Member
I just don't see Denilson and Diarra growing as attacking forces. Diarra might just turn out to be our own Essien, but he has not shown the ability to play both ends of the field in his Chelsea and Arsenal careers. Denilson's a very tidy midfielder, but still lacks the ability to run the offense effectively. Cesc displayed this ability even in his initial days in the first team.

I will concede that we are first without an additional playmaker, so we are certainly not in a dire situation. I'm just thinking about making us a bit more robust.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Denilson can run the offence , he has and can play as an attacking midfielder even for his club in Brazil.
However I would like to have seen how Diaby would have gone with Diarra sitting deep . I reckon he would have dominated.

Tony Montana

Established Member
quincy42 said:
I just don't see Denilson and Diarra growing as attacking forces. Diarra might just turn out to be our own Essien, but he has not shown the ability to play both ends of the field in his Chelsea and Arsenal careers. Denilson's a very tidy midfielder, but still lacks the ability to run the offense effectively. Cesc displayed this ability even in his initial days in the first team.

I will concede that we are first without an additional playmaker, so we are certainly not in a dire situation. I'm just thinking about making us a bit more robust.

But Denilson has had far less first team chances than Fabregas. I know you mentioned Fab showed initial signs but players' developments don't follow the exact same path. Denilson could still be able to run the offense effectively in his own way in two or three years. Denilson is not as talented as Fab anyway. You can't all our young players to be as effective as the best youngsters such as Fab, Messi, Rooney etc.

Zico

Established Member
I was looking at an adjustment that would bear fruits more immediately (assuming said player can adapt to our team/England relatively quickly).

In the longterm, Denilson will be very good. He will be as good as Mikel Arteta within two or three years, methinks. I've noted previously that he probably has a higher ceiling than Diaby and Flamini.

Speaking of the best youngsters, did anyone see this new Barca cat called Krkic last night? I don't know where Rijkaard finds them.

entropy13

Established Member
quincy42 said:
I was looking at an adjustment that would bear fruits more immediately (assuming said player can adapt to our team/England relatively quickly).

In the longterm, Denilson will be very good. He will be as good as Mikel Arteta within two or three years, methinks. I've noted previously that he probably has a higher ceiling than Diaby and Flamini.

Speaking of the best youngsters, did anyone see this new Barca cat called Krkic last night? I don't know where Rijkaard finds them.

His (Bojan's) father works for Barca.

tam1886

Established Member
quincy42 said:

Do you think we can bring someone like Modric in and keep everyone happy though. I think it would be hard. If he comes, he is going to want to play. If he isn't going to get guaranteed first team football here I think he would go somewhere where he would. I don't think he would get in the team ahead of Rosicky or Hleb, and filling in for them during injuries isn't going to be enough for him, especially with the Euros coming up in the summer. On the other hand, if he is a first teamer, probably displacing Rosicky, then Rosicky finds himself in the same situation I mentioned about Modric. I can't see how bringing in anyone of Modric's growing status could work for us.

Zico

Established Member
I think the opportunity for someone like Modric lies in the fact that, although brilliant, Rosicky and Hleb each tend to be available for half of the games that the team plays. That means that there is about half a season available at each of their positions, often taken up by players in various stages of footballing puberty.

The ideal situation would be that four good players (Fabregas, Hleb, Rosicky, X) rotate in the 3 attacking mid positions, and then we can bring in the less experienced guys as necessary.

Of course, one needs to balance the current benefits of having an additional experienced mid with the future benefit of blooding guys like Denilson and Diaby now.

Lukazan

Established Member
But Hleb played 25 leagues games in his first season (despite the injury and op, which was just unlucky) and 33 last season. It's hardly half the team's games is it? Before joining Arsenal you'd have to go back 5 years for the last time he didn't play more than 30 leagues games, and I'm sure that's just because he had not yet established himself at Stuttgart.

However, something does need to be done about the Rosicky situation. I like him, and he's a fantastic player and I don't think he should be sold, but he cannot be relied upon. Someone like Modric, although I'm personally absolutely sure it's not going to happen, would be a great signing for the right price and the 4 of them (Fabregas included) rotating around the midfield when and if need be does sound like a mouth water prospect.

the dawn raids

Established Member
Lukazan said:
Someone like Modric, although I'm personally absolutely sure it's not going to happen, would be a great signing for the right price and the 4 of them (Fabregas included) rotating around the midfield when and if need be does sound like a mouth water prospect.

yeah, with the prices being bandied about for him theres no way wenger will bite. but yes something does need to be done.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
yesterday we lacked alot of creativity in midfield.

i think its fair to say we are abit lacking in depth of attacking midfielders., only rosicky and hleb in our squad fits the bill.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom