• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations, what do you expect this season?

• 1) Title

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • 2) Double

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • 3) Cup win

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 4) Cup win+ Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • 5) Top 4/5

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • 6) Deep CL run and cup win+Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient.

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

Think you're very light on CF depth, assuming Balogun is leaving of course, and while I obviously think Rice is a massive get for you guys, Xhaka and (maybe) Partey leaving doesn't exactly fix your lack of depth in that area either.

Business obviously isn't done so there's still plenty of time to fix some of it. Significant improvement from the likes of Vieira, Kiwior and Nelson would also go a long way, but that's a big maybe.

It's why I added the last part. I think you're capable of competing across two competitions, but if you push far into every cup to the point where the reserves aren't cutting it anymore, I think fitness will become a real issue. Someone like Jorginho is easily capable of filling in for Rice against weak opposition, but once you go up again decent quality teams I feel like Rice simply has to play for your team to work, and I think that goes for several positions. If Tomiyasu's fitness wasn't a concern then I wouldn't be nearly as worried about your defense either. There's a lot riding on two young defenders if one of Gabriel, Saliba or White go down.

Didn't mean to sound too doom and gloom, still have you heavy favourites to finish in the CL spots and do well in the CL, just think there's still some way to go in terms of adding quality depth, something that can only really be fixed with time as you bring in new quality starters and current starters become rotational options etc.

I think that’s harsh on Kiwior who was only signed in January and performed well after he settled.

If you look at Manchester City they had 9 players who played 3400 minutes or more. Rodri played the most at 4400 and then it filters down to Dias who played 3500.

After that they had 6 players who played 2500-3000 minutes. Mahrez, Ake, Walker, Stones, Foden and Alvarez. So that’s really just 15 players getting the main minutes. After that Laporte, Lewis and Ortega make up the rest. For Arsenal to replicate that -

Jesus
Saka
Martinelli
Ødegaard
Rice
Gabriel
Saliba
Ramsdale
White

Would probably be the 9 getting those heavy minutes. And 6 from -

Partey
Havertz
Timber
Tierney
Trossard
Jorginho
Kiwior
Nelson
Nketiah
Vieira
Tomiyasu

Would take on the medium to high minutes with the remaining 5 players likely being cup rotation.

The question is are Havertz, Timber, Partey, Tierney, Trossard and Nketiah equal or better than Mahrez, Ake, Walker, Stones, Foden and Alvarez.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I think that’s harsh on Kiwior who was only signed in January and performed well after he settled.

What part was harsh? Didn't say Kiwior was poor, just that he needs to improve to be up to the standard of other 3rd choice CBs at the level you want to be at. I back him to get there but that doesn't really change anything in the here and now.

The question is are Havertz, Timber, Partey, Tierney, Trossard and Nketiah equal or better than Mahrez, Ake, Walker, Stones, Foden and Alvarez.

That's not even a question IMO. Walker, Stones and Foden would all have a real case for getting into your starting XI, and from what I've seen of Alvarez he's quite a bit better than Nketiah.

You do have a very young squad though so improvement within the squad itself is obviously on the table and would make a lot of my arguments here irrelevant. If Nketiah (or Balogun) levels up, Vieira steps up, Timber comes in and immediately performs and looks the part and Nelson finally puts it all together, you suddenly have quality depth.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

What part was harsh? Didn't say Kiwior was poor, just that he needs to improve to be up to the standard of other 3rd choice CBs at the level you want to be at. I back him to get there but that doesn't really change anything in the here and now.

That's not even a question IMO. Walker, Stones and Foden would all have a real case for getting into your starting XI, and from what I've seen of Alvarez he's quite a bit better than Nketiah.

You do have a very young squad though so improvement within the squad itself is obviously on the table and would make a lot of my arguments here irrelevant. If Nketiah (or Balogun) levels up, Vieira steps up, Timber comes in and immediately performs and looks the part and Nelson finally puts it all together, you suddenly have quality depth.

May have misinterpreted what you said RE Kiwior.

I think Walker would have a case but the other two absolutely not. Stones doesn’t touch Saliba who I believe sails into Cities team next to Dias. Foden right now is nowhere near Martinelli on that left side as well.

Completely agree on striker depth, Alvarez is streets ahead of Nketiah which is a worry but we held up pretty well when Jesus was injured.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Given the transfers we've pulled, I expect a comfortable second place finish - even if that means not being in the running for the title.

Think city will focus on getting four in a row this season, of they set their sights on that it's going to be tough challenging.

Cup wise, I want deep runs domestically. Unless we have injury problems, if course.

CL and his European record are a bit iffy, but I think there's nothing too extreme in wanting is to get to the quarter finals.

As usual, good displays are what matter most for me. You challenge well, put up a fight and I think title talks become secondary.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I'm on mobile for the next 20 in case you want to do it now
Title Challenge
Title Challenge + Cup win+ Deep run in CL
Cup win +Top 4+ Deep run in CL
Top 4 + Cup win
Cup win+ Deep run in CL
Top 4+ Deep run in CL
Cup win

Sparrahork

Target this year has to be to finish comfortably in the top 4, if we are challenging then great but other teams will be stronger and our main goal is to become established champions league team again.

The domestic cups do not bother me that much, progress would be nice but mainly as a chance to keep fringe players fit and in form. I would much rather we go out before quarter finals and blooding kids and playing fringe that winning it with Saka and Ødegaard featuring every sodding game!

It is not down as a target but greater rotation is an absolute must, get likes of MLS and acd in squad and on the pitch occasionally, keep likes of kiwi, timber, Nelson, esr involved.

Also sensible loans and moves before the season starts, find homes for vieira, Pepe, holding tavares etc rather than being left scratching heads on what to do with them come end of August.

For cups a good sold cl run would also be a strong marker to help us recruit next season, qf would be my expectation with anything else a bonus this season

Save thinking we are rivals to city to when we have proved we belong in the top 4. My aim this season is beat Liverpool, do that and I think we are second (,as a minimum 💪)

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We are the second most valuable team in the world behind City right?

That means we could technically finish 2nd to them in the Prem and lose to them in the final of the Community Shield, Champions League, FA and League Cup and Arteta would have got us to finish exactly how we should this season ffs 😅

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
We are the second most valuable team in the world behind City right?

That means we could technically finish 2nd to them in the Prem and lose to them in the final of the Community Shield, Champions League, FA and League Cup and Arteta would have got us to finish exactly how we should this season ffs 😅

I'll take 3rd in the PL if we can win the CL. Deal?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Oi, mods! Any chance to change the poll a bit more and make the votes public so we can see who voted what? Think this would be great for late season discussions! To either bask in the glory of a correct(ish) vote :thumbsup: or hand ones head in shame :facepalm:!

Sparrahork

Oi, mods! Any chance to change the poll a bit more and make the votes public so we can see who voted what? Think this would be great for late season discussions! To either bask in the glory of a correct(ish) vote :thumbsup: or hand ones head in shame :facepalm:!
Unfortunately with these sort of polls the options available do not marry up with intended responses.

Domestic cups not of concern to me, we are unlikely to beat city but top 3 and comfortable ecl qualification again has to be the target. Top 4 or 5 leaves us looking an unsafe bet for ecl seeking players, if it is looking a given it means we can solidify our status, we can sign in future at lesser prices as players are showing a clear wish to join us and us only.

City are at that point, we need to get there for 24/25 too.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom